Chalfont St. Peter in old picture postcards volume 2

Chalfont St. Peter in old picture postcards volume 2

:   Audrey Wheelband
:   Buckinghamshire
:   United Kingdom
:   978-90-288-4787-3
:   80
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Chalfont St. Peter in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. This Memorial stands in the churchyard of the Parish Church of Saint Peter in the heart of the village. It was erected in memory of those who died in the First World War. Names of the fallen of the Second World War have also been added.

10. A view of the village, taken in 1905 from the top of St. Peter's Church tower, looking toward 'The George' and the River Misbourne. The fields in the distance are now all developed.

11. A section of the village, immediately opposite the Parish Church, showing "The George Inn' and, to the left, a butcher's business, both run by C.E. Bonsey. "Ihe George Inn' is very old and the coach entrance, extreme right of picture, still remains. Now renamed "The George', it is no longer an inn but a public house. The butcher's shop closed down in 1914-1916 and now forms part of the public house. On the extreme left can be seen part of 'The Greyhound Inn'. The road leads to Chalfont St. Giles and, thereafter, to Aylesbury, the county town of Buckinghamshire.

12. Cecil Ernest Bonsey, licensee of 'The George Inn' until his death in 1912. He also ran a butcher's business on the site. There was a slaughterhouse in use at the rear of the premises. The Bonseys were an old Chalfont St. Peter family and in the 18th century records there is a 'Bonsey tripeman' mentioned. Cecil Bonsey's brother, Harry, also had a butcher's business in the neighbouring parish of Gerrards Cross, some 1V2 miles away. Both the brothers used a pony and trap for their transport.

13. Mrs. Cecil Bonsey with four of her six children. She died in 1912, four months prior to the death of her husband.

14. Harry Bonsey, only son of Cecil Bonsey, who continued to run the village butcher's business and the public house until about 1914. His son, Ray, also ran a butcher's business, but not in this area. Ray has now retired to New Zealand but still pays frequent visits to Chalfont St. Peter.

15. A very early picture of the centre of the village showing the River Misboume before the road bridge was built. On the left can be seen part of 'The George Inn', then H. Mills, Baker and Grocer. Mr. Mills had a bakery at the rear of the shop. The pathway in front of the cottages led to The Retreat, a fine old house with the Misbourne running alongside. Next, Mr. Brooks' coach builder and, behind, poplar trees seen in the Swan Farm Riekyard (see picture 38), then Brown's Hardware. One of the footbridges is also seen, followed by the Browns' house. Their grocery shop is just out of picture. This photograph was taken from the front entrance to the vicarage.

16. A group outing by charabanc from 'The George' in the village, taken in the early 1930s. These outings were a frequent souree of enjoyment for the villagers in the early days, especially to the nearby racecourse at Ascot. Back row, left to right: Tom Plested, Mr. Allsey, Reg Freeman, Jack Freeman, Victor Brooks, John Tyler, Syd Keep, Mr. Allsey, Mr. Osbom, Mr. Bradshaw, Frank Heam, Mr. Osbom, Mr. Freeth and Tom Carter. Centre row, left to right: Jim Rance, Mr. Stennings, Mr. Danny? , Mr. Bird, Mick Bailey, Bert Rance, the two Jillians brothers and Tom Osbom. Front row, left to right:

Walter Elderfield, Bill Freeman, Douglas Freeman, Fred Bovingdon, Charlie Dancer, Mr. Rance and Peter Bailey.

17. The River Misboume, flowing through the culvert in the village. It was onee quite powerful, as can be seen here, and there were eight working mills on the 15 miles of the river from Great Missenden to Denham. Some of the mill houses still remain. The book 'To rescue a river' by Vic Wotton of Chalfont St. Peter, published by the Chiltern Society, gives technical details as to why the river is now sometimes dry .

18. An unusual view of the river, flowing under the tootbridge (see picture 15) between Brooks and Browns. On the left in the far distance is The Retreat. The buildings here have all now gone and the river culverted.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2018 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek