Chalfont St. Peter in old picture postcards volume 2

Chalfont St. Peter in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   Audrey Wheelband
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Buckinghamshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4787-3
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Chalfont St. Peter in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. A little past the fir tree tunnel (see picture 44) the Great Central and Great Western Railway passed through, running from Marylebone (London) to Sheffield. The railway is pictured here during the course of construction. In 1906 the first train ran through here from Gerrards Cross station, which serves the Chalfonts.

50. A finished viaduct over the railway from Gerrards Cross to London. There are two of these, quite close to each other. Today the M25 motorway goes under the viaduct.

51. This is another viaduct, under which the road runs from Tatling End, a district some 2 to 3 miles away, directly to Chalfont St. Peter. Then called New Highway, it later became theA413. Thepostmarkonthiscardis 1904.

52. A Toll House which once stood at Tatling End on what is now the A40 road. The road to Chalfont St. Peter branches from here, hence the old name 'New Highway'. The small district where this Toll House stood was of ten referred to as "The Tumpike' .

53. The point where Gold Hill joins the village street. In the far distance can be seen part of 'The Carpenter's Arms' and Mrs. Herrlein's toy and sweet shop. All the buildings pictured here have been pulled down and replaced by offices, estate agents, building societies and similar shops. The building on the left is now a new Barclays Bank. The shop, 'P. Clark Stores' , to the right has been rebuilt and is now a hardware store.

59262. G~RA.ilJ)S.caoss.

THE CHALFONT'S &; GERR~DS CROSS COTTAGE HOSPITAL.

54. Chalfonts and Gerrards Cross Hospital, a gift of the Hibbert family, showing to the left at rear part of the original hospital built in 1871. The two buildings at the front were added in the early 1920s.

55. Chalfonts and Gerrards Cross Hospital pictured after a further addition to the hospital in 1933. Starting with six beds and one cot, the hospital now comprises over thirty beds, X-ray, physiotherapy, operating and outpatient departments, day rooms and other facilities, with funds provided by the League of Friends and other members of the public.

56. The Chestnuts, Gold HilI Common, for many years the residence of Dr. Kirkland, the first medical superintendent at our hospital when it was built in 1871. The Chestnuts has been pulled down and on this site stands Hibbert Lodge, a County home for the elderly.

57. This row of shops was built soon after the First World War, on one side of the road leading to Gold HilI from the village. At this time the population was continuing to inere ase and the existing shops were barely adequate. On the opposite side of the road is the Grange estate and, in the distance, the viUage.

58. The Lecture Room, surrounded by allotments, to which access was gained by a footpath. This was also a gift of the Hibbert family. In the early 1920s, as a result of the increasing population, this building was used as an infants' classroom by teacher Miss Annie Wingfield (see picture 59) until the main schools were enlarged. Some 25 years ago the Lecture Room was pulled down and the whole area has since been developed commercially.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2018 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek