Chalfont St. Peter in old picture postcards volume 2

Chalfont St. Peter in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   Audrey Wheelband
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Buckinghamshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4787-3
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Chalfont St. Peter in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59. A school group, dating back to 1904-1905, taken at the Church of England Girls and Infants School. The first girl from the left, front row, is Minnie Lisley. The fourth girl from the left, second row, is Milly Lisley. Both girls are sisters-in-law of George Ezra (see pictures 68 and 69). The teacher in the back row, extreme left, is Miss Annie Wingfield and the other teacher, extreme right, is Miss Annie Freeman.

60. A very early picture of part of Gold Hill Common taken in the 1900s. The road here runs from the village to conneet with the road at the top of Gold Hill leading to Gerrards Cross. The trees to the right form the end of the Grange estate (now the Holy Cross Convent) and still remain. Those on the left have long since gone and the area around the edge of the Common is built up.

61. Layters Green, a hamIet just beyond Gold HilI. Still rural, it includes a farmhouse, a pond and cottages in which workmen who were employed here once lived. The whole area, including woodlands, was owned by the Lord of the Manor, who lived a little distance away, at Mumfords. Here are two woodsmen's cottages, as they were in much earlier days. The cottages are now enlarged and modemised.

62. An early picture of the pond at Layters Green when it was rnuch larger than in recent years. Welch's Farm is on the other side of the road, which then goes on to Mumfords, after which it joins the A40 London to Oxford road.

Thc Grove. C: alf» JÎ .. Peter.

.'

63. The Grove, situated off Narcot Lane, which runs from Gold Hill to Chalfont St. Giles, Very historie, it is known to have been a residence at the time of the Norman Conquest in 1066. Queen Elizabeth I visited here in 1571 and it was used by Quakers in 1659. Rebuilt completely in 1892 by the High Sheriff of Buckinghamshire, the last owner-occupier was Richmond Watson, who died in 1944. In 1953, it was purchased by the Army Kinema Corporation, now named Services Sound & Vision Corporation. Quite a large staff is employed here. The postmark on this card is 1907.

64. Part of the interior of Gold Hill Baptist Church, which stands at the top of Gold HilI overlooking Gold Hill Common. Note the 'L' -shaped pipe on the left which provided heating for the congregation. The church has since been enlarged and a hall at the side has been built. It is verywell attended.

65. A charming gathering outside the Baptist Church taken in 1910, probably following the Sunday service. The cottages immediately this side of the church still stand, but have been modernised.

66. Chalfont St. Peter peace day celebrations at the end of the First World War. This picture was taken on Gold HilI Common after a really colourful fancy dress procession around the district. David Brown, the vilIage blacksmith, is pictured sixth from the left, and John Henry Bastin is third from right holding his money box to collect donations for our local hospital, for which he always worked untiringly.

67. A view ofthe 'JoUy Farmer' bearing the postmark 1907. Mrs. Lizzie Jeffcoatt was then the licensee. Notice also her tea rooms on the right hand side. This public house stood at the top of Gold HilI, immediately facing Gold HiU Common. The road pictured here comes from Gerrards Cross and goes on to Chalfont St. Giles. It affords a splendid vantage point, looking towards Hertfordshire. This building has long since gone and a new, much larger 'JoUy Farmer' occupies the site and is famous for its sandwiches and meals.

68. Ezra's Dance Band, formed by George Ezra after his return from military service in the First World War. The band comprised, from the left George Ezra (piano), Laurie Cadman (violin) and Bert Daneer (drums), the last-named coming from Stoke Poges, some 4-5 miles away. They were very popular being engaged, from about 1920 onwards, to play at dances and other social functions for quite a few miles around.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2018 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek