Chalfont St. Peter in old picture postcards volume 2

Chalfont St. Peter in old picture postcards volume 2

:   Audrey Wheelband
:   Buckinghamshire
:   United Kingdom
:   978-90-288-4787-3
:   80
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Chalfont St. Peter in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69. In the early 19308 George Ezra opened a shop at the top of Gold HilI and he is pictured here in the doorway. In his early life he was a pupil teacher at our local boys' school, before serving as a sergeant in the Middlesex Regiment in the First World War. On his return, he ran a dance band. For years he was a very able organist and choirmaster at our Parish Church. Later, in the Second World War, he worked with our Air Raid Precautions squadron.

70. The front aspect of St. Joseph's Church, built in 1915 and situated on the corner of Austenwood Lane and Bull Lane, adjacent to Austenwood Common. This shows the original church before it was enlarged in 1962 to seat about 400. Before 1915, worship took place in a corrugated iron structure in the grounds of the Water Hall on the Amersham Road, then the residence of Captain Ford.

71. The priory, to the left in the foreground, and a side view of St. Joseph's Church. The priory had formerly been a private residence, owned by a relative of the Lord of the Manor at Mumfords. A short distance away there is now also a Roman Catholic primary school.

72. Maltman's Green in MaItman's Lane, off Bull Lane, near to Austenwood Common. A charming residence, full of character, it was the property of Captain A.H. Drummond of Drummond's Bank from 1883 to 1911. He had a family of eleven. The boys were awarded various war decorations. Geoffrey won the Victoria Cross in the First World War but, sadly, was killed on active service in the Second World War. Maltman's Green is now a boarding and day school for girls. Classrooms have been built in the grounds but the house, happily, retains its character.

73. The old 'Three Pigeons' public house, pictured in about 1887 when John Feitham was the licensee. It stood facing Austenwood Common on the road from Gerrards Cross to Chalfont St. Giles, A much Iarger and up-to-date 'Three Pigeons' has been built on the site ofthis oid house.

74. Kingsway, Chalfont St. Peter. This road was made soon after the railway came in 1906. Before then, it was known as Hilly Field. The top end of the raad, pictured here, joins Packhorse Road, whilst in the distanee it winds down a steep hill to join the Lower Road to Chalfont St. Peter village. This photograph was taken in about 1915.

75. All Saints Church, Church of England, built in 1914 in Oval Way, just beyond Austenwood Common. The bell on the wall, at right, had previously hung on the girls and infants Church of England school. A parsonage has since been built here as weIl as a church hall, both at the rear of the church.

76. These gardeners' cottages, once belonging to the Orchehill estate, stand in Packhorse Road. The Langstones, a large family, lived in one of the cottages, and one son and daughter are pictured here. Another son, Fred, lived near to the village all his married life. He had helped to build the railway, which was completed in 1906. He had an excellent memory and right up to his death, in 1987 aged 101 years, was able to reeall his early childhood. The cottages have long since been one private residence.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2018 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek