Chapel-en-le-Frith in old picture postcards volume 1

Chapel-en-le-Frith in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Mike Smith
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Derbyshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6020-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Chapel-en-le-Frith in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9 The Stocks, which have recently been renovated, could well date from the Cromwellian periad. The wooden slats and the woeden seat have been replaced on a number of occasions, but the stone uprights are said to be original. In November 1920 a char-à-banc, dubbed by the BuxtonAdvertiser as 'the new Lord of the Raad' , crashed into the left upright and bent it 45 degrees from the vertical. Tourists are fond of posing in the stocks for snapshots, but this solemnlooking group consists of local people. The prisoner with the cigarette in his mouth is Sig. Simpson and Chapel peo-

ple may well recognise other characters who are featured on the postcard.

10 The heavily-weathered Market Cross is a central feature of Market Place. lts origin is uncertain, although there have been rather far-fetched claims that marks on its surface indicate a date of 1636, and even more fanciful suggestions that the cross may be a thirteenth-century preaching cross. This photograph, which was taken before the Great War, also features a magnificent lamp standard, which no longer graces the Market Place, and the Jubilee Horse Trough. The railings which mark the perimeter of Market Place were moved much nearer to the Cross during the road-widening of 1936. Cobblestones, which are such an attractive feature

in this view, have been replaced by a paved area.

11 This postcard shows the Chapel National Reserve parading on Market Place for inspeetion by Lord Roberts. Two inns are featured in the photograph. The Swan Inn, which was formerly known as the Swan with two Necks, now houses the Post Office, but retains the inscription ToB

1 773. The second inn, The Roebuck,wasknowninthe late eighteenth century as New Hall. Long bef are the introduction of relaxed licensing hours, the Roebuck had the right to open on Market Days until 4 p.m. for the benefit of 'farmers and cam and provision merchants'. The building which is situated between the two inns has since been arcaded. It stands on the

site of the former Market House. Tillee alleyways, which run behind the street, lead to a huddle of old cottages, sorne dating from the seventeenth century. From these passages there are de-

lightful glimpses of the church tower above the aId gritstone roofs.

12 The Buxton Advertiser ance claimed that parücipation in brass bands was even more popular, per head of population, in the Chapel-enle-Frith area than in the West Riding of Yorkshire. It is a tradition which remains very strong in the town to this day. There was once great rivalry in Chapel between the Volunteer Band and the Town Band. This photograph shows the Volunteer Band posing for a commemorative picture in front of the Roebuck Inn. The man in the back row who is wearing a white trilby hat is Charles Green, who was Target Master at the old Target Wall, which was used for shooting practice by members of the Volunteer Reserve

Force. Chapel men, it is said, have always shown a readiness to volunteer for service in the defence of their country.

1 3 This postcard shows recrults leaving Chapel Centra! Station in September 1914. Throughout the Great War the Buxton Advertiser reported in detail the exploits oflocal men in battle and also recorded their periods at home on Ieave, As the war progressed and the death-toll mounted, the pages of the newspaper made increasingly grim reading. Of 599 Chapel men who served in the arrned forces,

78 were killed. Frith Knoll, Mrs. Speneer's house on Eccles Road, was opened as a hospital, taking fifteen wounded soldiers at a time. The local newspaper reported: 'The health-giving air of the locality, combined with the careful nursing received

there, all tend towards the speedy recovery of the wounded heroes,'

14 The War Memorial was unveilcd on 5th Iuly 1919. The monument is a more generous tribute than that found in most towns - all the Chapel men who served in the Great War are listed, rather than simply those who died in battle. In 1994, the Parish Council added to the memorial an inscription in memory of all those who servcd in the Second World War. The Jubilee Horse Trough and Drinking Fountain, which is situated just beyond the War Memorial, was erected in 1897, as part of Chapel's contribution to Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee celebrations. The tewn's Amenity Society maintains a display of plants in the trough. The four Market Place

monuments - Stocks, Market Cross, War Memorial and Jubilee Horse Trough - are now protected from vehicles in a paved, pedestrianised section of the market area. Unfortunately, the day has not yet ar-

rived when the whole of Market Place is free of parked cars.

15 Chapel Church has a peal of six bells, most of which were manufactured by Rudhall's of Gloucester. George Ford, Chair of the Parish Council, was one of the bellringers who rang to celebrate Peace Day at the end of the GreatWar. Chapel has a tradition, which has now lapsed, of the ringing of Special Bells, At the time of the First World War, Billy Hibbert followed his father as the ringer of the Special Bells, An Apprentice Bell was rung on Shrove Tuesday to signal a half-day holiday for the apprentices of the town: a Curfew Bell rang each evening at 8 p.m.; and Passing Bells were mng at funerals to

indicate the sex and age of the deceased - three tolls for a girl, four for a boy; five tolls for a woman, six for a man. It is even suggested that the Passing Bells were sometimes rung when the person con-

cerned was still alive as a signal for relatives and friends to

pray

1 6 An annual Gala Day was held in the town for many years on the first Saturday in ]uly. Proceeds were donated to the Hospital Fund. The Wesleyans, who never missed an opportunity to display their banner, are seen here on parade in Market Place in

1 91 2. Wakes Week was taken on the second week in ]uly, although the helidav was not observed by workers at Ferodo, as the works remained open throughout the year. The tradition of an annual carnival lapsed for some years but it was revived in 1970.Today, Carnival Week is celebrated in style and events include the crowning ofthe Chapel Car-

nival Queen, a grand procession and an afternoon of fun in the Memorial Park.

1 7 On Carnrval Days today prizcs are awarded for the best decorations on private houses, public houses, shops, lamp-posts and even on whole streets, Awards are given to groups such as majorette dancing troupes and to individuals in fancy-dress. The town is festooned with bunting and there is keen competion for the prizes. Enthusiasm was just as strang in 1913. Despite the appalling weather which threatened to dampen the carnival in that year (and in many other years), this group oflocal people turned out on Market Place in suitable costume. Ada Braddock is the tall lady second to the right; Gerti Garner is on her immediate left and young Tom Barker is

wearing the plus-fours, Same chapel residents will recognise the other characters shown here.

1 8 Chapel people have to travel some disrance to watch top Football League games, the nearest big clubs being in Manchester, Sheffield and Derby. However, the town had a strang conneetion with Derby County through the late Sam Longson, former Chairman of the club, and there is a long tradition of participation in football at locallevel. The team shown here were champions of the North Derbyshire League in the 1903-1904 season. The Chapel-en-Ie-Prith club enjoyed another particularly successful season in 1913-1914, when they did the treble, winning the Derbyshire Challenge Cup, the

Stockport and District League and the Buxton and District League!

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2018 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek