Chapel-en-le-Frith in old picture postcards volume 1

Chapel-en-le-Frith in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Mike Smith
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Derbyshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6020-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Chapel-en-le-Frith in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29 Bank Hall occupies a commanding site on the

slop es ofCombs Moss. lts most fameus past resident is Squire Frith, who made a fortune from his trains of'packharses. Squire Frith was a Georgian country gentleman, justice of the Peace, Deputy Lieutenant and High Sheriff and, above all, huntsman. The story of a chase which took place in 1788, when a poor fox was pursued relentlously for 40 miles, is told in Squire Frith's Hunting Song, which ends with the lines: 'In full flowing bowl we will drink a health all, / To that great and true sportsman, Squire Frith of Rank Hall.' In the mid1870s, a dining room was added to designs byWE. Nes-

field. Unfortunately; the extensive panel paintings in this room were sold some years aga, but the delicate stainedglass floral designs on the large bay-window have survived.

30 This view shows the area on Manchester Road known as Cockyard. Bear-baiting and cock-fighting were once popular amusements in the Chapel area. Legend has it that a famous cock-fight was staged here in 1582 to decide on a dispure between two branches of the Legh family. The bear which was used for bear-baiting in the locality was kept at the hamlet of Sparrowpit by a man named Shotter. The unfortunate animal is remembered in the 10cal saying 'rough as a Shotter's bear'. This postcard features the Hanging Gate public house, complete with its sign in the form of a hanging gate.

3 1 This splendid view of the town in its High Peak setting was taken from South Station. Mount Farnine and South Head form the backcloth ofhills; the church and the huddled town stand, almost in the manner of a French hill-village, on a spur ofland which runs eastwards from Eccles Pike. At the time of this photograph, ribbon development had already taken place along Manchester Raad - the line of houses which runs across the middle of the picture - but the considerable expansion of the town southwards towards the railway line had not yet begun. South Station, which is now the tewn's only station, is in the middle of a seven-

mile incline. In 1 957 a train of 3 3 wagons ran away down the incline and became deratled on reaching the station.

32 This view ofCentral Station shows winter milk carriages at the ready. The station was opened for goods' trafik in 1866 and for passenger services, on the Midland Railway's Derby-Manchester line, one year later. A prominent feature of the station was the large signal box which sta ad on the platform. The station buildings are almost identical to those constructed by the Midland Railway at Rowsley, Bakewell and Glossop, but the eaves brackets on the Chapel buildings are rather more elaborate and form an interesting architectural feature on the surviving buildings. The large residence in the trees is Walton House. Chapel Station had its name changed to

Chapel Central in 1924 in order to distinguish it from Chapel South on the L.N.WR. line. Central Station was closed in 1967, leaving rail commuters from the town with fewer direct routes and with a

considerable walk to the South Station.

33 Chapel folk once boasted that a building at Luwer Crossings was the smallest inhabited house in England. The dwelling bore a remarkab1e similariry to the 'Srnallest House in Britain' which is 10cated on the quayside at Conwy. North Wales. In 1913, the house, which comprised a bedroom, a front room and a tiny kitchen, had been occupied for about ten years by Anthony Chapman. The local newspaper said 'it would seem appropriate that the oecupant should be a bachelor'. A neighbour who was interviewed by a reporter from the newspaper felt that 'there is

plenty of room for him'. Mr. Chapman's comments were not recorded!

34 This postcard dates from about 1912. Crossings Road, which stands on the old track from Buxton to Glossop. crosses Ecdes Raad, which once formed the Chapel-enle-Frith to Whaley Bridge Turnpike. This pleasant rural scene from befare the Great War is now a ribbon development of private housing. The cross marks Nanny's WeH, once regarded as a medicinal spring. The card be ars the following message: "Ihis is where we spent our last evening together - on the seat in Nanny's WeH.' Tradition has it that all medicinal springs are under the proteetion of a guardim spirit. This partienlar well may have been under the protection ofSt.Anne or

St.Ninian - names which becarne corrupted to 'Nanny's'.

35 In 1 895, the Manchester firm of Grace, Calvert and Thompson were asked to carry out an analysis of the spring water in Nanny's WelL They found that the water was 'not polluted to anyextent with organic matter of animal or vegetable origm' , and they declared that they were of the opinion that the water which ernanates here 'comes from a spring of considerable dep th and that no surf ace water has become mixed with it'. They felt that 'in same respects the water of this well is of the same nature as that from the Tunbridge Wells springs'.

36 Digieatch, or Diglatch, is an old farmhouse dose to the summit of Eccles Pike. In the sixteenth century the estare was owned by the Vernon family afHaddon Hall, and in 1644 the estare was sequestered by Cromwell, because Dorothy Shert afDigleach was known to be a Royalist. Older residents of Chapel remember a lady who came into town from Digleach Farm ta seIl excellent cream and butter.

37 Lydgate, or Lidgate, is another house which occupies land near the summit of Bedes Pike. William Braylesford Bunting has traeed the ownership of the house. The estare probably dates from the days of the Royal Forest of the Peak when 'burgages' were granted in exchange for services to the Crown. From the fifteenth century until1608, Lydgate was part of the Legh estate. In 1 608 Thomas Gee purchased the house from Thomas Bagshawe and the Gee family remained there until 1 750, when they sold out to the Needhams of Rushop. The house then passed to the Marriotts, a

Cheshire family who occupied the house in the early years of this century.

38 The summit of Eccles Pike is 1213 feet above sealevel and offers superb panaramie views over: Blackbrook Valley to the north; Combs Reservoir to the south; the town of Chapel on a spur to the east; and the surrounding hills of the High Peak - Chinley Churn, Mount Famine and South Head to the north, and the high ridges of Combs Moss and Ladder Hill to the south. An area of six acres on the summit was given to the National Trust by Mrs. Spencer of Frith Knoll as part of the town's contribution to King George vrs Coronatien celebrations. 'Eccles' may derive from 'Eccle', an old name

for a place of worship, The Pike has been used as a Royal Observer Corps post and is now a favourite spot for dogwalking and kite-flying. The message on the postcard which is shown here reads:

'Do you remember sitting inside these rocks and Clara jumping offthe top?'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek