Chapel-en-le-Frith in old picture postcards volume 1

Chapel-en-le-Frith in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Mike Smith
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Derbyshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6020-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Chapel-en-le-Frith in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49 This photograph is a fine illustration of both progress and continuity. When Edward Carrington replaced his horse and cart with a motorised van he retained the double-decked loading arrangement which had been used on his cart and once again divided the decks with a full-width board bearing the name and nature of his business.

50 The Wesleyan Chapel, which was onee described by the BuxtonAdvertiser as a 'singularly beautiful building',openedin 1874,replaeing a ehapel which had been ereeted on the site in 1780. Stained glass windows, dedicated to the memory of various loeal people, were inserted in plaee ofleaded lights in 1890, and a new poreh, given by Mr. and Mrs. Hadfield of Walton House, was added in

1 930. In recent years an extension, which houses a meeting room and coffee bar, has been built on to the front of the building. This new addition is of thoroughly-modern design, but is fashioned in a style which is fuHy in keeping with the lilles of'the old build-

ing. Rev. Burgess was the Minister from 1900 to 1905. [ohn Wesley visited the Chapel area four times between 1740 and 1786. One Chapel resident, Graee Bennett, was married to [ohn Bennett, one

Minister: Bev. A. Burgess.

ofWesley's leading preachers. Ir is said that Wesley hunself had intended to marry Graee!

Wesleyan Ohureh, Ohapel-ea.le-Frith.

5 1 Tne Wesleyan school rooms originally occupied a site behind the present Shoulder of Mutton public house, on the opposite side of the road to the church - an enclosure there still carries the name 'Old School Yard'. New school rooms were erected adjacent to the oid Wesleyan Chapel in 1 853, Originally, the school functioned soiely as a Sunday school, but began to operate as a day school in 1870. The school buildings were enlarged in 1887 and again, as our picture shows, in 1 92 7 , They were then described by Bunting as a 'fine range ofbuildings meeting all the requirements of the Educarion Authority'. The school rooms have now been restored in a very sensitive ,

marmer and converred into dwellings.

52 The oldWesleyan Sunday School rules insisted on the following conditions: 'It is required that children shall attend clean washed and hair combed by half-past eight in the morning from April to October and by nine from October to April, and a quarter befare one in the afterneon.' Regimentation was also the order of the day at the time when this photograph of the school yard was taken!

53 This postcard, issued by Mr. Hudson at the Post Office, shows classes land II of the Wesleyan School in 1913. I understand that the teachers shown in the photograph are Mr. Gray and Miss Frith. There was onee great rrvalry between those educated below Smith Brook - the "Iown End Skittlings' - and these educated above the braok - the 'Up Town Bulldogs'.

54 This photograph shows the Wesleyans marching through Town End. Their banner, which blows high in the High Peak winds, celebrates the centenary of the Wesleyan Sunday School in 1898 and carries the slogan 'r teach the way, the truth and the life'. The building with its gable end to the street was to become Mr. Taylor's garage and the gap between this building and the terrace of cottages in the foreground was later infilled with a row of houses. The cottages shown in the picture carry a farm of doorway decoration which is a characteristic feature of many houses in the town: horizon-

tally-placed stone slabs project from the head and foot of the stone door-frame. On many buildings in the town this decorative effect is quite eccentric, as little or na attempt was made to achieve a

syrnmetrical arrangement when the horizontally-placed stones were selected.

55 As wen as there being a lang history of brass bands in the town, there is also a strang tradition of choral singing. This group of singers, the Town End Wesleyan Choir, won First Prize in the section for mixed voice chapel or church choirs at the North Derbyshire Musical Festival in 1930. Edward Carrington, who is shown sitting behind the impressive shield, was the conductor. The man in the back row who is wearing the stand-up collar is Ben longson, who had his legs shattered in the Great War. local people will recognise many other faces.

56 Chapel folk have always loved a pageant and seized on any excuse to decorate their streets and put on a show. This specially-constructed bridge and archway wereTown End's spectacular contribution to Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee celebrations in 1 897. Some older residents suggest that it was even possible to walk over the top of this massive structure, which stretched the fuil width of Market Street, The Jubilee Horse Trough on Market Place dates from the same occasion. Queen Victoria died on 22nd [anuary 1901, after reigning for 63 years and 216 days the langest reign of any British monarch.

j

.--~-.

57 This view shows Town End at the [unction between Hayfield Road and Market Street. The gabled building which prajects into the raad beyond the Old Pack Horse is Mr.Taylor's garage. The owner is remembered as wearing plus-fours and running a silver Alvis car. Although a car features in this photograph, it is obvious that horse-drawn vehicles rernain the main farm of transport. The shop on the corner - now Foster's flower shop - has retained its continuous windowarea to this day, but the shoe shop on the Ie ft was demolished when the entrance to Hayfield Road was widened. The inn sign has been replaced and the fa├žade has been

painted, but the Old Pack Horse Inn looks much the same today as it does in this view.

58 The raad shown in this postcard now farms the slip raad from the Chapel-Whaley Bridge by-pass (opened in 1987).When this view was taken it was still safe to stand in the raad. Buxton Raad formed part of the Turnpike which ran from Chapel to Buxton. The polygonal-shaped house at the top of the raad is theToll House at Sandiway Head, Tolls were collected here between 1821 and

1862. Toll house keepers were given a rent-free house and a garden, usually of one eighth of an acre, but they had a seven-day week job and had to maintain a constant vigil. By 1830 there were 3,000 coaches on the roads of England, but the coming of the

railways finally killed off the Turnpike system and in 1888 responsibility for highways passed to local government.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2018 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek