Chapel-en-le-Frith in old picture postcards volume 1

Chapel-en-le-Frith in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Mike Smith
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Derbyshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6020-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Chapel-en-le-Frith in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59 This photograph of Barmoor Clough shows the junction known as Dove Corner, where the high road to Sparrowpit leaves the raad from Chapel to Dove Holes and Buxton. The row of cottages has gone, but the houses in the foreground remain. The Ebbing and Flowing WeH, described by Hobbes as one of the Seven Wonders of the Peak, is in this region. In

1 846 the action of the well was summarized as follows:

"Ihe water sometimes flows only once in 12 hours, sometimes every hour and, in very wet seasons, twice or thrice within the hour. When it begins to rise, the motion of the water is at first very gentie, but in a short time the quan-

tity becomes very large and it conrinnes to flow for four minutes and a half' Unfortunately, the well, perhaps disturbed by the construction of the railway, no langer performs in this spectacular fashion.

60 The DevonshireArms at Sparrowpit is now known as the Wanted Inn, lts unusual name was chosen by Mr. and Mrs. Buswell when they bought the inn after a period during which it had been left derelict and unwanted. The inn, which is situated same

1 ,200 feet above sea -level, is aften surrounded in winter months by spectacular snowdrifts. This particular drift formed in December 1901. The village of Sparrowpit is strung along the road which runs from the Wanted 1nn to the summit above Peaslows. Almast all the houses are on one side of the street and there are na nurnbers on the cottages - every house has a name.

61 Like Henry Gee. Hannah Furniss is depicted in Bunting's history of Chapel-en-leFrith as a 'nineteenth century character' . She was also immortalized through this postcard. Hannah died in 1905. Older residents say they have heard stories that she tore her sheets in half to make for easier washing. She is also said to have been in the habit ofwearing a large number of petticoats and of taking her knitting with her to church.

62 Ford Hall, which is situated in a lonely vallev to the east of Chapcl-en-le-Frirh. is the ancestral home of the Bagshawes. Nikolaus Pevsner, in his book "Ihe Buildings of England' , calls the building a 'mixtum compositum'. There is a seventeenth century portion with mullion-windows, a Georgian wing, some nineteenth century extensions and twentieth century neo-Georgian additions, Nevertheless, the whole group ofbuildings, in their roman tic setting in a deep hollow below South Head, makes a very satisfying composition when viewed from the Chapel-Castleton road, which runs along a high ridge to the south. The Hall is associared with Wil-

ham Bagshawe, the Apostle of the Peak, who held secret services in the area after losing his ruinistry at Glossap in 1662, when he refused to conform to the Book of Common Prayer.

63 The simple, but beautiful Independent Chapel at Chapel Milton is evidence of the strength of non-conformist feeling in the area. Some ofWilliam Bagshawe's nonconformist meetings were held in a large building on an estate at Malcoff which was owned by Bagshawe's brother-in.Iaw: other meetings were held at Ford Hall itself The Independent Chapel depicted on the postcard was built in 1 7 1 2 and became one of the earliest non-conformist chapels in the country. The old oak pulpit used by William Bagshawe at MalcofI was presented to the chape1 by the Bagshawe family in 1931.

64 This superb photograph of a family group was taken at Ford Hall. Ernest Catver from Cheshire changed his name to Bagshawe on marrying Prances Alice Devereaux Bagshawe, the lady who is sitting in the chair. The chair is a family heirloom which is still in the possession of the Bagshawes. The beautiful twin daughters shown in the photograph were born in 1887. Dorothy died in 1944 and Lillian in 1971. The couple's two sons, Geoffrey Hamilton Bagshawe, who died in the First World War, and Francis Ernest Gisborne-Bagshawe, are also shown in the picture.

The man with the beard is

William Henry Greaves Bagshawe, grandfather to the twin girls and their brothers.

65 The twin-gabled building in the photograph is Slack Hall, which dates from 1727. The old hall is a very attractive building with prominent string courses, twin-light windows and a distinctive, deep recess in the centre of the symmetrical fa├žade. The setting of the hall was ruined when the Chapel-Sheffield Turnpike was routed through the garden. A new hall was then built, well away from

the road, in a wooded hollow to the south.The toll house for the Turnpike stands immediately behind the old hall. The Lingards, who once owned Slack Hall, were Quakers, and there is a Quaker Burial Ground on land behind the building.

66 The High PeakTramway was opened in 1796 to link the limestone quarries at Dove Holes with the Peak Forest Canal at Bugsworth (now called Buxworth in deference to the sensitive reaction of its inhabitants to the original name). For much ofthe route, the trains of wagons were horse-drawn, but there is a 600 feet drop in the five miles from Dove Holes to Buxworth, and on the steepest section, from Chapel to Top o'th'Plain, a gravitation railway was used. The tramway was a single-track line until 1803, when it became double-tracked on all but a 100 yard section through Stadhart TunneL It was here that the first disaster taak place. A

train of wagons broke loose and ran back down the hili into the tunnel and auto a train of wagons which was being pulled by two harses. The driver jumped clear but the harses were killed.

67 The control cabinfor the incline was a wooden building on tall stilts at Top o'th'Plain, The man in the cabin would wait for a signal from the foot of the incline bef are releasing the chocks to allow a wagon to deseend. The weight of the loaded descending wagon was sufficient to haul an empty wagon up the lncline on the other line. The signal normally taak the farm of the raising of a white board which was fixed to a long pole; a bell was used in foggy weather. Hemp rape, which had a habit of snapping, was used to control the trucks until1809, when a chain was installed. Wire rope was used from 1 870. Brakemen would ride on the truck

chassis and thrust a pin into a secket between the iron spokes to lock the wheels, The tramway closed in 1926 and the track was removed ten years later.

68 This picture shows Sam Longson's horse. Sam made his money by developing a fleet of wagons to transport stone from the Peak District quarries. The gossip columnist William Hickey once called him 'the man who made millions out of moving mountains'. In later years Mr. Longson became well-known as the Chairman of Derby County Football Club. Longson's lorries are still seen in large numbers transporting the stone which has been quarried from the hills of the Peak District.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2018 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek