Chapel-en-le-Frith in old picture postcards volume 1

Chapel-en-le-Frith in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Mike Smith
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Derbyshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6020-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Chapel-en-le-Frith in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69 This postcard shows Bowden Lane at the turn of the century. The narrow country raad, with its cottages raised above the level of the lane, is little changed to this day, but the roadway which leads from here to Bowden Hall is now interseeted by the by-pass.The present halliargely dates from the last century, but an older stables block has survived. The pretty section of the road which runs northwards from the stretch shown in the photograph is known as the 'Drum and Monkel' - presumably a reference to a former inn in the viciniry

70 This very well-attended swimming gala taak place in 1909 in Lingard's Dam, which is situated near Bowden Lane. Chapel people also used to enjoy swimming at Iohnny Middleton's Pool near Tunstead Milton before hygiene regulations put a stop to the public use of the pool.

71 This view shows Hayfield Raad at the turn of the century at a time when substantial bay-windowed residences had recently been erected along the raad. The houses shown in this view have all survived to the present day. In fact, little has altered other than the remaval of most of the wraught-iron railings which were cornmandeered for use in the war effort. The raad is quiet in this view, but a 1915 newspaper report tells of a collision on the raad between a cow and two motor cycles. Tourists VÎsiting the Peak District from the Manchester conurbation caused heavy congestion on this street for many years before the opening ofthe by-

pass in 1 987. Bunting suggests that jatnes Hibberson of Bowden Hall built Hayfield Road Bast through his own land to avoid paying tolls at TownBnd.

72 The extensive Ferodo works stand on Hayfield Road. Ferodo is an inaccurate anagram of Frood, the name of the founder of the firm. Herbert Frood had become alarmed by the inadequate stopping power ofthe 'untidy and ragged brakes' on wagons negotiating the steep hills of the district. He set to work in the garden shed ofhis home at Combs to produce sornething better. By chance, he discovered that some stiff and oil-soaked belts which had been discarded from lus father-in-law's belting company possessed surprising friction properties. As a result, he hit upon the revolutionary idea ofusing oil-impregnated woven cotton as a braking mate-

rial. He began manufacture at Gorton. Manchester, in 1897, but moved his factory to Chapel in 1902. This view shows the process room in about 1926.

73 Procd's fortune was assured when he persuaded the London Omnibus Company, which ran 5,000 horsedrawn trams, that his brake blocks were 'rnuch superior to the old rape currently in use'. He went on to produce brake blocks for the new motor buses and commissions followed for many other vehicles. Ferodo became the largest single factory of its kind in the world. The works naw occupy all the left-side of this street and a large new laboratory block on Hayfield Road was added to the complex in 1958. The cottages shown in this view are still standing, but New Street is now known as Burrfields Road and Pump Row, which

runs affthis road to the right, is now known as Poplar Terrace.

74 Mount Famine and South Head farm a backcloth in this view of Chapel Milton. A mill was built here in 1 391 for the processing of corn. Plum puddings were manufactured at Chapel Milton for Manchester's hotels and a rag mill operated until1946. When John Wesley preached here in 1745, he complained that the miller had attempted to drown his voice by letting out the mill water during his sermon 'but it was labour lost, for my strength was so increased that I was heard to the very skirts of the congregation' . On the left there is a glimpse of one of the two railway viaducts which span the valley. A new road viaduct, constructed at a cost of f 1 7

million and opened in 1987, now carries the ChapelWhaley Bridge by-pass over Chapel Milton.

'_'J.,:; ?? ~_.

75 This splendid view, taken from Bowden Head, looks across Chapel Milton to Ecdes Pike. The town of Chapel is in the valley to the left of Eccles Pike: a new by-pass now runs through the Blackbraak Valley to the right of the Pike.The great twin railway viaducts at Chapel Milton are one of the finest monuments to the Railway Age. The first viaduct to be built was opened for goods in 1866 and for passen gers in 1867.The bridge, which took four years to complete, was built to extend the DerbyRowsley Iine ta New Mills and Manchester. A second bridge was opened in 1894 to carry the Derby-Sheffield line.

76 We end with a winter scene at the Wash, one of many picturesque hamlets situated close to Chapel-en-IeFrith. Winters in the High Peak can be very severe and the summer season is much shorter in this part of the country than in lowland areas of England, but the Peak District scenery has a rare beauty in all seasons and Chapel people are fortunate to live in a town which is surrounded by 542 square miles of Britain's first National Park.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2018 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek