Clacton-on-Sea in old picture postcards volume 1

Clacton-on-Sea in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   T.A. Baker
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2776-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Clacton-on-Sea in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  >  |  >>

29. THE PADDLE STEAMERS THAT HELPED BUILD CLAcrON. The Paddle Steamer 'GIen Rosa', built in 1877, began her life in Scottish waters. In 1881 she was sold to the Thames and Channel Steamship Coy., and then successively acquired by the London Steamboat Coy., and the Victoria Steamboat Association Ltd. and was put on the Clacton run in 1884 by the V.S.A. In 1888 she was the first excursion steamer to do the double journey from London to Clacton and back in the same day. Unlike most excursion steamers the 'GIen Rosa' was not tied to any one route but was run on various services. At one time, for example, she ran from Yarmouth to Harwich so as to conneet with the 'Kon-i-Nor' on the Harwich-Clacton-London run. She also ran from London to Southend and Sheerness, but in 1896 she was sold to aBristol Coy. and went out of the East Coast services. Another of these early Paddlers was the 'General Havelock" having, as Kenneth Walker writes in his 'History of Clacton', a barrel of drinking water on deck with a tin mug tied to it with string, while a fiddler used to entertain the passengers. However, the 'Glen Rosa' was better and, in a handbill dated July, 1881, was advertised as 'having a speed of 22 miles per hour .. .' and custorners were invited to visit Clacton, Walton, Harwich or Ipswich, 'by the new and magnificently fitted steamer 'Glen Rosa' sailing from London Bridge, (Old Swan Pier), Thames & Channel Steamship Co.' Here she wears the funnel colours of the V.S.A., i.e. three narrow bands of white-black-white between the red of the funnel and its black top.

3D, THE 'BELLE STEAMERS', The saga of the 'Belle Steamers' began when the London, Woolwich and Clacton-on-Sea Steamship Coy. was formed in 1887, Their first Paddle Steamer, named 'Clacton', went into service on May 17th, 1888. After only one season she was sold and the Coy, turned to the firm of Denny Bros. of Dumbarton, who over the next ten years built them a fleet of seven light draught Paddle Steamers starting off in 1890 with 'Clacton Belle' which served on this run for close on forty years. Next year, 'Woolwich Belle' was launched to be followed two years later by the largest, fastest and most popular ship of the fleet, the famous 'Londen Belle', 'Southend Belle' (later re-narned 'Laguna Belle), followed (1895), then 'Walton Belle' (1897), 'Yarrnouth Belle' (1898) and finally 'Southwold Belle' was launched at the turn of the century to complete the fleet of seven fine 'Belles', All were built to a similar design with steel hulls topped by an upper, or promenade, deck which extended as far forward as the single mast. A navigating bridge was placed irnmediately behind the one buff coloured funnel. Mr. A. Fletcher was in the catering Department of 'Belle Steamers' and told me 'Practically a1i my trips were on the 'Londen Belle' ... On one occasion, presumably at low water, we were delayed quite a while through getting stuck on the Gunfleet Sands and had to wait for sufficient water to get going again. The catering on board in those days was excellent; a table d'hĂȘte four-course dinner could be had for half-a-crown.' Note the prevalenee of the 'boater' on both male and female in this picture postcard.

31. CROSSLEY HOUSE. James Harman, one of the tewn's pioneer figures, built a house called 'Ocean View' when he came to Clacton in 1874. It stood right at the eastern end of Marine Parade. About 1884 he conveyed it to General William Booth, of the Salvation Army who, with his wife Catherine, made it into a home of rest for their officers. Catherine Booth had a great love of the sea and in 1888, when it was found that she was suffering from cancer, she stayed for some time at 'Ocean View'. Through the generosity of Frank Crossley, one of the Salvation Army's great benefactors, General Booth was able to rent the house for his own use in 1889 and brought his wife down to live in it and spend her last few months by the sea. She was able to take short walks along the cliffs or drives in a carriage. The cross by the window marks the room in which she was confined to her bed in October of that year, It had a view out across what was then known as the 'German Ocean' (North Sea). Her little grand-daughter recalled 'There seems to be many strangers in the big house, I feel safest in the garden to which I can go by the side door near the housekeeper's room.' Catherine endured her suffering with great fortitude until the morning of Saturday, 4th October, 1890. There had been two days of thunder, lightning and torrential rain, but the weather had cIeared when she passed away peacefully, at the age of 61. The Salvation Arrny established themselves in Clacton in 1897. Sir Savile Crossley (afterwards Lord Sornerleyton) presented the house to the Eastern Counties Institution as a nursing home in 1895 and in recognition it became known as 'Crossley House'.

1

!

32. THE PASSMORE EDWARDS CONVALESCENT HOME. John Passmore Edwards was born in the tiny Cornish village of Blackwater, in 1823. He grew up to become the proprietor ofmany popular newspapers andjournals, and lived by his own creed: 'He is a wise man, who in his lifetime, so spends his wealth that by it men and women bless his name before his death.' He became the Member of Parliament for Salisbury in 1888 and was a keen political reformer. When the Sunday School Union began their scheme for holiday hornes for deprived children, John Passmore Edwards became an enthusiastic supporter, contributing !.6,OOO for a home to be built for this purpose at Clacton-on-Sea. On May 19th, 1898, Sir H.H. Fowler M.P., laid the foundation stone with these words: 'The Sunday School Union is proud to avail themselves of the opportunity and unite in their grateful acknowledgement of his munificent offer - to make possible a permanent holiday home for the benefit of Sunday scholars nee ding a change of air and scene.' The Passmore Edwards' Holiday Home was officially opened on June 23rd, 1899, and the great philanthropist himseif died in his 88th year in 1911. This photograph, taken about five years after the horne had been opened, is from a damaged glass negative used, for many years as a garden cloche, but rescued some fifteen years ago, Signs of wear and tear can be seen on the left, and in the scratch marks.

33. THE 'PRINCESS HELLENA', LITTLE HOLLAND. Licensed as 'The Beerhouse' in 1882. Plans for the future development of Little Holland, a small village sorne two miles to the east of Clacton-on-Sea, went ahead at the turn of the century. A map of the 'Presten Estate' in 1904 shows the proposed roads which included Kings Avenue, Kaisers Grove, and Kings Cliff. Probably when Greene, King & Sans taak over the little beer house, shown in the photograph, in 1883 from its previous owner, one Fleetwood Codd, they decided to maintain the regal note. There were two Princess Helenas. Princess Helena Victoria (1870-1948), a grand-daughter af Queen Victoria's, and Princess Helena (1846-1923) who was her mather and the fifth child of Queen Victoria. At the time this photo was taken, in 1905, Little Holland was all farmland except for a few agricultural cottages. In 1934 it was absorbed by Clacton and became Holland-on-Sea, A year later the 'Princess Helena' was pulled down and a large new Public House called 'The Roaring Donkey' replaced it. (Note spelling: 'Hellena' on sign-board.)

34. DONT FORGET THE DlVER. This is an intriguing photograph, taken in 1895 in the Town Yard off Old Raad. The building at the extreme right is not connected with the central building and chimney and has 'The Anchor Grocery & Provision Stores', written on its walls. There is a well beneath the sheerlegs erected to the right. The two notices inform us that this is the 'Clacton-on-Sea Gas & Water Comps., A. Penfold, Esq. Chairman., J.C. Webb, Engineer' (right hand notice). The other notice carries a name like '1. Taley & Sans, Water Works Engineers'. The Council acquired bath the Gas and Water undertakings together with the works in Old Raad in 1899. Abel Penfold, who died in February 1900, was chairman ofthe Pier Co., Gas & Water Co., Royal Hotel Co., Steamboat Co., Public Hall Co., and the Clacton Land Co. Penfold Raad is narned after him. He died in the same year as Peter Schuyler Bruff. The diver is just about to have the round glass face piece put on which is held by the man on his left. Next are two men either side of the air pump. This would be Clacton Water works pumping station and the team, carefully posed and documented, is all set to send the diver down to inspeet the well,

35. The scene at C1acton Railway Station on 3rd March, 1900, as 'The residents of the Town gave the volunteers a grand send-off to the war'. The war they are off to is the Boer War (1899-1901). They are from Company 'H' of the 2nd Volunteer Battalion, The Essex Regiment, based in Clacton.

36. Clacton volunteers for the front. Kneeling, left: Pte. G. Skeels, right: Pte. W. Harman. Standing, left to right: Pte. W. Flegg, Sgt. A. Quick, Sgt. Instr. Hodgson and Pte, E. Bates. Sgt. Abraham Quick, with waxed moustaches, produced the 'Clacton News' which fust appeared in 1889. In later years he became Councillor Captain A. Quick, M.B.E., and was Chairman of C.U.D.C. in 1926. Pte. W. Harman returned to Clacton in October 1900 after a severe attack of enteric fever.

37. THE WARWICK CASTLE HOTEL. Designed and built in 1896 by W.J. Hook, as a farm ofgrandiose hotel. Unfortunately it was built in the wrong place, right at the end of Pier Avenue where it joins Old Raad and some distance from Marine Parade. (The site for all the major hotels of the town because of its proximity to the sea front, and the view of the sea to be had from seaward facing hotel rooms.) It had an impressive, but imitation, castle-likeness. The North-East Essex Fox Hounds used to meet there on occasion as in this photograph of late 1899. In later years it was the venue for Car Club rallies and Concours d'Elegance. The Warwiek Castie Hotel was demolished in 1974 to make way for a large office block, which never gat built!

38. Another venue for a meet of the North-East Essex Foxhounds was at the Grand Hotel, Marine Parade, Clacton, on Boxing Day. This one is on Boxing Day, 1901, after a 'white Christmas' with a fall of 2-3 inches of snow. The stirrup cup has been passed around and the hunt is just about to move off into the open countryalong to the right of this photograph at Little Holland and Holland marshes. Among the male spectators the general head-gear seems to be baggy caps with narrow peaks. One chap seems all set to mount and follow on his bike. A quite smartly dressed errand-boy marches briskly behind him. A Labrador Retriever puppy (centre left) shows his breeding by turning his back on the whole proceedings. Pony Carts and Traps abound. Not a 'Horseless Carriage' in sight, The Grand Hotel itself had been opened in 1897 at the time of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. The Towers Hotel, just beyond on the right of the picture, was opened six years earlier, in 1891.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek