Clacton-on-Sea in old picture postcards volume 1

Clacton-on-Sea in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   T.A. Baker
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2776-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Clacton-on-Sea in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  >  |  >>

39. ELECI'RIC PARADE. This line of shops and premises was built in 1901 and opened, as can be seen by the date picked out in electric lights at the top of the first building on the left, in 1902. It was known as Electric Parade because it was lit throughout by the new 'Electric Lighting'. In the centre, just behind the first horse and cart on the left, can be seen the new Post Office (now W.H. Smith's), which was moved there from the old premises in Station Road. Although the shops themselves have been greatly changed, the upper storeys preserve much of this Dutch inspired gabled architecture. Mr. E. Newson's 'Gentlemen's Outfitters' shop was No. 17, Electric Parade, and the firm still occupies the same premises. Clacton Council at the tirne was undecided about adopting the new method of lighting. 'It is a notorious fact that they are removing the e1ectric light from the streets of many towns and putting in gas again ... ' said one Councillor. Another was 'Convinced that electric lighting would never pay ... ' But in the end they voted to submit a scheme for alocal government enquiry, This picture was taken. in the winter not long after Electric Parade had been built.

40. ELECTRIC PARADE (2). The trees are a bit bigger so it is probably about 1906. The three horse-drawn brakes (large waggonettes) yield a fascinating glimpse of how the 'Outings' of yesteryear were transported. The occupants of these may very wel! be in the 'Oyster Bar'. Just below the word 'Bar' is a poster advertising the famous 'Buffalo Bill' but where he was appearing is ilIegible. The gentleman on the right is taking his daughter down to the beach; she is wel! equipped with bucket and spade, also a skip ping rope. The lad just behind, with arms akimbo, regards her with contempt; he appears to be smoking a pipe, lt looks as though the lad on the extreme left is a newspaper boy, who has just trodden in a pile of horse-dung. Or is he looking down taking

care to avoid it? "

41. ELEcrRIC PARADE (3). HIGH SUMMER. Photograph No. 39 showed a winter scene taken not long after E1ectric Parade was opened, indeed, the photographer does not seem to have been clear about the name for that postcard is captioned 'Electric Avenue'. The photograph above was taken in high summer, with a multitude of flags, bunting, Chinese lanterns etc. Could it be to celebrate the coronation of King George V which took place on 22nd June, 1911? The pear-shaped electric lights outside each shop can be seen very clearly. The trees, in full leaf, have grown quite considerably. A corner block, known as Centra! buildings, was erected in 1907 to the left of the two detached shops - Finch (Confectioners) and G.H. Petley (Shaving Saloon & Hairdressers). This is a very lively and animated scene.

42. THE CORNER SHOP. A typical 'corner shop' of Victorian and Edwardian times. This is W.E. Thorogood's Baker's shop at the corner of Pallister Road and Station Road. On the notice board at the top of the building he advertises 'THOROGOOD - BAKER - Carts to all Parts'. In those days most shops operated their own delivery service to your front door. To be seen in the shop window along with the cakes and pastries, are Cottage Loaves, & 'BIoomers'. Currant Loaves were 6d and 'Wedding Cakes' are advertised on the door blind. On the door is a notice proclaiming a 'Dramatic Recital'. Those taking part include a Mrs. Barrow, Miss Lysa Brooks and the date seems to be Wednesday, May 10th, 19- although the last name and part of the date are hidden by the angle of the open door. The lady posing in the doorway wears a hat with a decoration of artificial fruits and flowers. The young girl by the front window wears a large Tam O'Shanter hat and is just checking her purchases. The shop is still there, but now it is a tobacconists and confectioners. It was the Tewn's first Post Office until moved to E1ectric Parade.

43. THE INVASION OF 'LETSPRETENDIA', 1904. In the early years of this century Britain began to take seriously the military threat posed by Germany under Kaiser Wilhelm Il. An 'Invasion' exercise in 1898 was followed by the great Autumn manoeuvres of 1904, when a force of six cruisers covered the landing of two divisions which struck inland as far as Witham before being held and pushed back by the defending troops. They then retired to their landing places at Clacton and Holland-on-Sea and re-embarked. These manoeuvres are a fascinating microcosm of an age. The already famous were there, like General Baden-Powell and Field Marshal Lord Methuen, whilst General Sir John French (later Field Marshal, and G.O.C. of the B.E.F. in 1914) commanded the 'Blue' Invading army. Others, like Colonel Allenby, who 'conducted a brilliant little cavalry action', rose to high command and achieved farne as the captor of Jerusalem (1917). The photograph shows General Sir John French talking to the Admiral who commanded the Cruiser Squadron, Rear-Admiral Sir Wilmot Fawkes, at the foot of the cliffs near Pier Gap.

44. THE INVASION OF 'LETSPRETENDIA', 1904 (II). A variety of foreign military attachés 'in their variegated uniforms who are the guests of the king ... ' were transported daily from their accommodation at 'The George' Colchester, in a fleet of privately owned cars specially lent for the occasion. Here present on Clacton Cliffs are four of them. On the left is Major General Yermoloff of Russia who, 'in his huge car, with the French military attaché, was a hazard to all and sundry as he appeared and disappeared in a cloud of dust.' Next to him is Major Count von der Schulenberg of Germany , he later became Chief of the General Staff of the Kaiser's Garde-du-Corps, and was present at the fateful meeting when the Kaiser was advised to abdicate. On the right of this little group of three is the French representative, Colonel d'Amade. Ten years later, in 1914, he was the general who cornmanded 'Three French Territorial divisions ... between the British and the sea', and performed an invaluable service by barring the way around the British left flank, in the long retreat from Mons. The United States attaché, Major J.H. Beacom, is standing on the extreme right of this historie photograph.

45. THE INVASION OF 'LETSPRETENDIA', 1904 (III). This photograph was taken at Holland Gap, where part of the 'Invading' forces landed. Up on top of the low cliff is the Duchess of Connaught, with her son, Prince Arthur. Field Marshal The Duke of Connaught, Inspeetor General of the Forces and Umpire in Chief at these manoeuvres, is first on the left of the group of three walking up the gap. He was the third son of Queen Victoria and was bom at Buckingharn Palace in 1850 (died 1942). He was made a Field Marshal in 1902 and served as Inspeetor General of the Forces from 1904-07. In the middle of the group is Rear-Admiral Sir Wilmot Fawkes, who commanded the six cruisers taking part. Of these 'Good Hope' and 'Monmouth' were to be sunk with all hands ten years later in 1914 at the battle ofCorone!. Another, H.M.S. Kent, was with the force which pursued Admiral Graf Spee and, determined to avenge her sister ship 'Monmouth' burnt all her ward-room furniture to get the last extra knot to catch up and sink the 'Nurnberg'. On the right is General Sir T. Maxwell. At the time, Edgar Wa1lace was making a name for himself as a journalist and wrote some critical articles about the manoeuvres in the 'Daily Mail'. It was he who referred to Clacton as 'The Capital of Letspretendia'. He published his first best-seller, 'The Four lust Men', two years later in 1906. In the early 1890's, as a young man, he had worked as a labourer building houses in Wellesley Road, Clacton.

46. THE INVASION OF 'LETSPRETENDIA', 1904 (IV). Parade of the automobiles used to transport the Foreign Military attachés from their quarters in Colchester to Clacton and other places during the manoeuvres. They belonged to various wealthy people of London, Essex and Suffolk who volunteered their use for the occasion and enjoyed thernselves with this impromptu 'Concours d'Elegance' after the manoeuvres ended on Thursday, September 15th, 1904. This is a unique photograph of vintage cars among which are two DE DION's (Reg. Nos. DX 6 and DX 11), a DARRACQ (Reg. No. DX 58), and a VOITURETTE (Reg. No. DX 12). All the cars were registered in 1904, and the registration of DX 6 was cancelled in 1905. The Grand Hotel can be seen in the background.

47. THE CLARKSON STEAM CAR. This extraordinary vehicle is the Clarkson Steam Car (with a Greater London Reg. No.). It was owned by a Iocal businessman, who is seated at the wheel, and his chauffeur was Mr. G.M. Ephgrave, of Clacton-on-Sea. Thomas Clarkson was a Yorkshireman who took over the Moulsham Iron Works at Chelmsford in 1902 and turned out a number of steam cars and buses. He developed this 16 h.p. 'Steam Brougham' known as the 'Chelmsford' which could seat eight passengers. It had a multi-tubed boiler under the enormous bonnet, whieh was heated by paraffin burners. The resultant steam pressure operated a 2-eylinder double-acting engine. The size of the vehicle was against it becoming widely used for private purposes and its future development was in the field of public transport. The 'Clacton Graphie' (6th October 1906) carried an artiele on dress for chauffeurs: 'What is the correct way to dress one's chauffeur? A great number are in favour of dressing him like an ordinary coachman with a cockaded top hat; others prefer the motor cap and coat and Ieather gaiters. Speaking for ourselves we shouid be more agitated that he knew how to drive the car .. !' The latter mode, of motor cap and coat and leather gaiters is obviously favoured here,

48. THE FIRST MOTOR OMNlBUSES. In 1898 The London Motor Van and Wagon Co. began negotiations with C.U.D.C. about running a 'Motor Cab' service in the town. Soon afterwards the fust motorised public transport was running to the inevitable chorus of complaints about excessive speed and frightening the horses. The company replied that 'their drivers had already received instruction to drive their cars at a moderate speed through the town ... the maximum speed which could be attained by the cars was 12 m.p.h .. .' In August, 1905, the G.E.R. began a 'Motor Bus service running between Clacton and St. Osyth, The engine is 4-cylinder and 30 h.p. The differential gears are of novel design, and the chains run in an oil bath, which is a novelty ... The engine is fitted with a Simmsbosch low-tension magneto ... The tyres are of the Sirdar buffer type, and are all solid ... The body of the car is painted white enamel, and the interior is upholstered in blue morocco leather, and curtains to match. The fittings are mahogany, and there are sliding doors to exclude the dust, The windows, however, can be taken out and stored in a box at the back when desirabie .. .' This looks to be the inaugura1 joumey reported by the 'Clacton Graphie' on August 19th, 1905. All the passengers have crowded on top, to enjoy the novelty of this new mode of transport. The proud driver stands in front of his vehicle; two passengers pose behind the almost upright steering wheel, and there is a Policeman there to see that everyone keeps the peace. By the way: 'The car will carry 36 persons, and it is fitted with a locker capable of holding about one ton of goeds.'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek