Colchester in old picture postcards volume 1

Colchester in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   George Pluckwell
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2531-4
Pagina's
:   112
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Colchester in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

89. Although Colchester was served by trams until 1929, buses did journey through the Town from other areas. Notably the Silver Queen buses which were solid tyred, open roofed conveyances and petrol driven they came from East Coast Seaside places like Clacton and Walton. These two are in the High Street near the Lamb Hotel not far from the Town Hall (1921).

M2361 SILVER QUEEN Bu s e s in Ce l e h e s t e r c1921 (Lamb Hotel)

Pamlin Prints --LCrovdon ....-r--

90. The High Street in 1936 showed a few changes to the curious eye, The era of the trams was long past and accounts for the vanished tramlines and overhead wires. The tram-wire poles seemed to have been conveniently adapted to take electric street lighting as the one on the left proves. Cars are parked on both sides of the street like the pattern of modern day things. The George Hotel on the near right complete with porter seems to be doing a thriving business. Advertising 'Restaurant', 'Luncheons' and 'Teas'.

91. Nea1 and Robarts high quality Cake shop and Tea rooms stood in the High Street at number llB during the 1930's and many years afterwards. The premises were not far from the Town Hall, but on the opposite side. The proprietors were two maidenly ladies and their speciality was homemade cakes, especially Seed Cake.

92. Neal and Robarts had some most unusual wall panel paintings in their front Tea Rooms which overlooked the busy High Street. The house, now a shop, was very old (probably Queen Anne or Georgian) and they had discovered the wall paintings in a rear room which they wanted to transform into a kitchen. They had them rehung in the Café Room, but on their retirement the historical oil paintings were taken down. Some found a new home at the Castle Museum and others, less fortunate, were put on the rubbish heap (1930).

93. They were very proud at Neal and Robarts Tea Rooms of their cellar Café. They walls were made of real genuine Roman bricks, So the Romans had left their stamp on Colchester which had lasted for more than 1900 years (1930).

94. In this study of Trinity Street we are looking towards Culver Street. Behind in the background is the Victoria Clock Tower of the High Street Town Hall

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2018 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek