Colchester in old picture postcards volume 1

Colchester in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   George Pluckwell
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2531-4
Pagina's
:   112
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Colchester in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

9. In this study of East Hili, dated 1906, we are looking in the direction of the eastern end ofthe High Street by the Castle. On the middle left is the Church Tower and Spire of Saint James' and in the far distance one can just make out the Town Hall Clock Tower. There seems to be a heavy waggon rumbling along in the centre of this scene, pulled by two strong carthorses. It is probably a brewer's dray from the East Hili Brewery that can just be seen in the background right. The cottage on the right, with the overhanging gable, would probably have been the previous home of some Flemish or Dutch weaver, who worked in the Bay and Say trade.

10. This 1910 photographgives one a good idea how the Siege House and East Bridge looked to our forefathers. The Siege House is probably some 450 years old. lts name is not its only memory to the Great Civil War Siege for owing to its position, it suffered a goodly peppering of Royalist builets and the effects can still be seen plainly today. Marked or ringed in red they are round holes in the outside beams or woodwork. East Bridge can just be seen in the background between the ornamental gas lamps. This bridge spans that section of the River Colne and on the other side is situated Marriages Flour Mill, very well known in Colchester's history. Today that greybrick square tower shaped structure has taken on a new lease of life as a luxury Hotel and Restaurant.

Old Siege House, Colchester

11. The Old Siege House, as aJready mentioned, was peppered with shot during the Siege of 1648. Later it was owned by Marriages Flour Mill for a number of years and they must have preserved it well, For recently on the closure of the mill it was sold. Now after more renovations, which have not spoilt the Olde Wodde atmosphere, it has opened as a high class Restaurant or Eating house. And is by all accounts a tourist's attraction with beautiful views of swans and boats on the silvery tidal Colne River it almost overlooks. The flour barges have gone for good, with their red and golden sails, but the nearby Hythe riverside district or doekland is still busy with Dutch and Gerrnan Cargo ships, bringing coa1, fish mea1 and various other cargo es up to the Hythe quays. The Siege House appears unchanging, only its purpose has moved with modern time (1905).

12. This postcard of 1910, somehow taken at night, revea1s the High Street taken from a East Hili angle. One can spot or observe Saint Nicholas' spire and the Town Hall Clock Tower in the distance. The Tudor building with the mullioned windows and bright lamp outside is the very historical Grayfriars, now owned by the Borough Council, (Once it had Franciscan connections.) Perhaps this card was a trick one coloured by hand. I do not think they had suitable camera's for taking night time photographs in those days.

13. This study of Saint Nicholas' Church was taken from what I term the eastern end of the High Street before it disappears down East Hill. Saint Nicholas' was probably narned after the original Father Christmas, It was first erected in the twelfth century and named after that patron saint of children. The church was once noted for its projecting doek and quite a few townsfo1k referred to the time dial as "The frying pan' on account of its resem blance to that household utensil. During 1875-76 Saint Nicholas's was completely restored at the cast of fIS ,000 and the spire was added. The church was unfortunately demolished in 1954 and the ground sold to the Co-operative Society, who soon built a gigantic superstore on the site narning it Saint Nicholas, in memory I suppose (1900).

Colchester Castie. N.W.

14. Colchester Castle is situated in the beautiful Castle Park at the eastern end of the High Street. Tourists might be forgiven for thinking it appears rather like an enlarged version of a child's toy fort. It is really all that remains of the largest Norman keep in England. It was erected in the eleventh century by the powerful Eudo Dapifer, steward of William the Conqueror, who has his statue on a ledge outside the Town Hall. With walls over 12 feet thick and originally twice as high, it measured ISS feet by 113 feet exclusive ofprojecting buttresses and the chapel apse (1901).

Col chester Castie

15. This view of the front displays the impressive round Norman doorway arch in all its splendour. There are dark Dungeons, Roman Vaults, for the Castie stands on the foundations of Claudiuse's great temple and in the North West Tower even a Norman latrine (toilet). Possibly on account of its strength of position and design, the Castle has been only twice 'under fire'; once in the time of bad King John and again during the great Siege of Colchester in 1648. The Castle is rectangular in structure with towers at the four corners. The general picturesqueness of the exterior of the Castle owes not a little to the charming little turret at the south west corner (1902).

Ibe eestte, cotchester.

16. During the Civil War in 1648 Sir Charles Lucus, Sir George Lisle and Sir Bernard Gascoigne, the Royalist commanders who held Colchester for twelve weeks against the Parliamentary forces, were briefly confined, traditionally in the long vault to the east of the well house. Gascoigne was reprieved, but Lucas and Lisle were shot in the Castle bailey, where an obelisk now commemorates the event. They say no grass will grow on that spot (1902).

17. Some thirty years later the Castle was sold for !lID to a miserable fellow named John Wheely, who dug out some of the Roman Vaults searching for gold or treasure. He did not discover any so started dismantling the upper storeys of the Castle and selling the materials. Wheely was at last forced to acknowledge the superiority of the stout workmanship of the Castle and dismantling became a very unprofitable business. Consequently he sold what was left of the Castle to Sir lsaac Rebow (famous loeal person). So the Castle entered happier times and after passing to various owners it came into the hands of Captain Charles Round, who opened up a Museum there, begun in 1846 in the crypt. The tree growing on the roof of the tower was a sycamore, traditionally planted by the then Mayors daughter to commemorate the battle of Waterloo (1815). It is still there today, Postcard from 1905.

18. The Castle and grounds were bought for no,ooo by the Viscount and the Viscountess of Cowdray. Being kind local benefactors, they presented this splendid possession to the Borough in 1922. They gave many gifts known as the Cowdray Gifts which was their lasting Memorial of The Great War (1914-1918). The Castle was only partly roofed in those days around an open type of quadrangle. It was not completely covered in until 1935. Today they have a Castle Appeal Fund and are hoping and endevouring to raise over half a million pounds to repair and renovate those stout walls, which have seen so much history. They are trying to save our heritage for future generations (1904).

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2018 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek