Cowdenbeath in old picture postcards

Cowdenbeath in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Eric Simpson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Fife
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5851-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Cowdenbeath in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Cowdenbeath

JV7e.:,os

19. Looking down the High Street, we note on the far right the big lum of No. 7 Pit and on the far left the winding gear of No. 3 Pit. Immediately in front of No. 7 Pit is the Roman Catholic School and to its left Foulford School, bath now demolished. The prominent building, with a curved roof, next to the schools was the Empire Theatre, operated originally as a roller skating rink by Geordie Penman (see No. 12). After another speIl as a skating rink, it became the Palais de Danse or, in popular usage, 'the Pally'.

20. Looking this time south-west from Round Hill, the big lums are from left to right the stacks of No. 7 Pit, No. 8 Pit and Mossbeath Colliery. The street in the foreground of th is pre-1904 card is Foulford Raad. The spar fence in the foreground is gone, but the GIen Tavern on the right remains, as does the min ers' raw marked with a cross.

21. In this early 1930s photo, we see some locallads and lasses gathered in a backcourt opposite Kelly's Papershop on Foulford Road. One lad is reclining on top of the coalhoose. The two youngsters on the left are Kelly's paper laddies, posing with the magazine 'Woman's Way'. Proud possessions on display are a doll and a football- the latter held by Alex Traill. On the same row wearing cap and scarf is Alex's brother Jack. Each dwelling in this now demolished miners' raw comprised just a room and kitchen, and four families shared one outside toilet.

22. The bairns here are posed on GIen Brae which is part of Fouiford Road. There is no saddie on the bike, just a piece of cloth tied to the bar. We are looking north-east towards Bervie's Brae. The villas are on Broomfield Road to the south of the Public Park.

23. Now we are Iooking in the opposite direction towards the GIen Brae. The GIen Tavern just squeezes into the picture (postmark date 1913). The younger laddies on the Ieft are holding girds. In recent years, a Gird Club was formed by some nostalgie adults who sought to revive this lost art. Members, who used the GIen tavern as their base, had to be able to ca thir girds up and doon GIen Brae.

24. Another miners' raw now also demolished - this time Foulford Street looking towards the High Street. Notice the causey setts along the line of the gutter. Like most other miners' raws of the time, the setting is bleak , the houses being economically built. However, by the 1930s attitudes had begun to change and the Fife Coal Company started to improve the standard of the 3,500 houses it owned, very many of them in the Cowdenbeath area.

25. Opened in 1896, Foulford School commenced with 391 pupils and six teachers. Many of the children in this Edwardian scene must have lived in the raw opposite and their fathers would have wrocht in No. 7 Pit who se lum appears behind the raw. The fact that there we re local brickworks explains the widespread use of bricks as seen here at Foulford School. Observe the distinctive double light on the footpath on the left.

26. Now we are out of the town at Kirkford village looking north. The nearest building was a stable and behind the house on the left, there was a smiddy. Since the village stood on the old road from Edinburgh to Perth (the former Great North Road) these facilities would have been weIl used in the age of the horse and coach. On the gable left th ere is a doocot constructed like a doll's house. A surprisingly large number of dogs ean be seen in th is early 1900s view.

27. Just north of Kirkford villa ge and still on the former Great North Road, we come to the historie Beath Kirk, whose central spire has now gone. The eemetery and its lodge were new when this photograph was taken. The lodge now has two storeys. The house that then served as the manse, dated 1870, stands to the left of the kirk.

28. These municipal houses of the 1920s were far superior to the auld miners' raws. There was room for a bathroom and there were gardens front and rear. Although reasonably new, some of the chimney cans have been replaced. Presumably down draughts had blown too much reek back doon the lum. The neat, well-tended gardens are protected by iron railings.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek