Cowdenbeath in old picture postcards

Cowdenbeath in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Eric Simpson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Fife
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5851-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Cowdenbeath in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Stenhouse Sireet and .f(igher qrade School, Cowdenbeath,

29. Still in Sten house Street and looking east, we see on the extreme left the Mines Rescue Station. Built in 1910 to give cover for the 91 pits in Fife and Clackmannan, it was closed in 1987 and subsequently demolished. Judging by the state of the footpath, the First Aid team at the Rescue Station would have had plenty of practice. Across the unmetalled raad we sec the former Beath Secondary School which survived, despite subsidence, till1990.

JJrill .7(all and jjowiing qreen Sireet, eowdenbeath.

30. Also gone is the former Drill Hall, circa 1908, which was built for the Territorial Army. ft became successively the Catholic Institute and a theatre, known as the Tivoli. A popular pI ace of entertainment, it served also as a dance-hall and as avenue for boxing matches. The roads are again unmetalled, but raised crossing places have been provided at the junction.

31. This card is not quite wh at it seems. Apparently a night scene of Stenhouse Street from the High Street, it was actually photographed in daylight and subsequently darkened, a not uncommon practice. The glow of the street lam ps and of the moon were also added. We think it likely that customers could purchase their breakfast eggs and bacon at Y oung and Arnott's corner store!

32. Two Broad Street views th at reflect changes in the Iocal transport system. A noticeable feature of the above 1930s card is the tracery of the tramway overhead wires. In the lower 1940s card the trams have gone and we see instead an Alexanders Leyland Titan double-decker bus. The old tramway pole is now part of the street-lighting system. Also by now the Fountain has gone, replaced by a roundabout and lamppost.

éost 13rooo Sireet, Cowoenbeoth

33. As the town grew in size, so did the number of kirks. In 1898 th is 'chapel of ease' in East Braad Street (above) at the corner of Natal Place, was completed. It later became Cowdenbeath West Parish Church and was demolished in 1985. The bookmark (right) is dated 1936 during R.D. Potter's ministry at Cairns. The present incumbent at Cairns is the Reverend George Hastie. Opened in 1893, Cairns is named after Principal William Cairns, a leading light in the United Presbyterian Church of Scotland.

~,AI(l.~~l2etl

COWDENBEAT+I

'THOSE WHO BIlIHG SUKSHINE IHTO THE i./YES OF OTHERS CANHOT KEEP IT FIlOM

THEMSELVES-

~ ... ~~~

., l). //~

~

34. Because of the rapid developrnent of the West Fife rnining district, a large nurnber of cheaply-built raws were thrown up by the different colliery cornpanies. This particular colliers' raw was located in Broad Street west of Natal Place. With earthen floors, damp interiors, and outside toilets, these tiny dwellings were perfect breeding places for tuberculosis and other infectious diseases. Note that only warnen and bairns are visible. In those days married wamen stayed at home. With constant washings, they had plenty of chores.

35. No doubt the children seen in the previous postcard attended Braad Street School. This cookery class, taught by a smartly-dressed teacher in a dress with 'leg of mutton ' sleeves, was photographed at Braad Street School in 1910. The girls, who are being trained to be efficient housewives, were following a course in 'household management' which included cookery, laundrywork, and housewifery. Opened in 1876, this was the first school board school in Cowdenbeath. lt had to be rebuilt in 1930 after a disastrous fire.

....? ,

1194. Albanv Series.

36. Looking from Cowden Knowe, we see HilI of Beath School on the top left. The village was built and owned by the Fife Coal Company. The brickworks' lums (centre-top) are prominent landmarks. In 1901, seven miners died through inhaling poisonous gas ernanating from an underground fire at the Engine Pit. The Hili of Beath Tavern Society pioneered a public house on the 'Gothenburg principle'. Profits made at their pubs helped to pay for electric lighting of the village, a reading room and institute, and a bowling green.

37. Now we see Hill of Beath School from the front. This fast-growing mining village needed its own local stores and, of course, a gents' barber's shop. Note the advert painted on the gable right for Maloco's lees, Billiards & Refreshments. This was a Dunfermline establishment. (See the book in this series on Dunfermline and Rosyth, illustrations 28 and 29.)

38. Although HilI of Beath was not on the tramway route, nearby Cross gates was weil served by both tram and train. Here we are looking north up Main Street. The tram is on or near the Crossgates north-end loop. There are a lot of folk around. What are they all waiting for? The Cross gates Hotel on the left (now the Crystal bar) has received a delivery of two barrels. More beer for thirsty miners? There was a hall further up on th at side used in early days for film shows and concerts. lts spire is visible.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek