Cowdenbeath in old picture postcards

Cowdenbeath in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Eric Simpson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Fife
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5851-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Cowdenbeath in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

ROBERTSON.

39. Appropriately the edging for this post-19ü9 card depiets the Robertson clan. Produced for Charles Walls of Crossgates Post Office, it depiets troops marching east along Dunfermline Road, led by a mounted officer. One wonders whether these are Regular or Territorial Army soldiers on their way to summer camp nearby. As with the previous postcard, the locals are out in strength, but this time we know the reason why.

40. In th is turn-of-the-century, pre-tramway card, we see how Crossgates got its name. The Crossgates, as the older generation called it, means cross roads (from old Scots - gate or gait meaning a road). Charlie Walls had the Post Office which is just up Main Street on the right. A Dunfermline Co-op horse-drawn lorry is making deliveries to the corner store, th en the Co-op dairy. Is the horse coming from Dunfermline Road waiting for the traffic to stop?

41. These school bairns and teacher were photographed in the early 1900s at Mossgreen School, which was one of the two loc al schools. The other one was Cross gates School on Inverkeithing Road. Most of these tidilydressed and well-shod lads probably became miners and in later life would have patronised the Miners' Welfare Institute shown beneath. Opened in 1925, the building incorporated part of the old Crossgates School. On Fridays the Institute , which is now the local Community Centre, was utilised for mobile cinema shows - admission 2d.

42. We turn along Springhill on the Kirkcaldy Road. The buildings are little changed, except that the cottage on the left is now two-storey. But where on earth has Droverhall Farm gone? It should be seen on the right. This postcard, it may be added, is coloured, so we think that wh en the original black-and-white photograph was tinted, the artist was careless with the brush. In contrast to the Main Street dwellings, the cottages have small front gardens with large kitchen gardens to the rear. The bairns have no problems about road safety, despite being on a main road.

43. Some of the children on the picture beneath no doubt attended Mossgreen Parish Church which was built in 1852 to serve the local mining community. lust over a hundred years later the church was closed, and subsequently demolished. The fact that the kirk had its own churches' league football team shows how important it was in the Iife of the community.

eGAL 11' :eAi~

1011- 1Jott1 erf Vi

FORDELL COLLIER't CROSSGATES· FIFE

44. This post-war advertisement (Jeft) relates to FordelI Colliery, then one of the oldest in the country. The colliery's William Pit closed in 1950, but the modernised Aliee Pit nearer Cowdenbeath continued for some more years. Co al was transported to St. David's harbour by the historie FordelI Railway. One of the engines the 'Fordell' is seen (right) at the disused Lady Anne Pit sidings. The waggon left was used for earrying explosives.

45. Now we come to the colliery workshops in Fordell village and the 'Lord Hobart' , with steam up (above), is pushing another engine, the 'Alice', into its shed. The photograph right shows the distinctive Fordell type of coal waggon with, standing alongside, Stewart Luke who was a boiler-firernan at the William Pit.

46. About one mile east of FordelI there was another sm all mining village (population 618 in 1891) named Donibristle, or as the FordelI miners contemptuously called it - Dirthill. The raw (top left) was James Street. These houses and every other visible building has gone, ex cept on the right, the former village store. In 1908 the Fife Co al Company purchased the colliery from the Donibristle Colliery Company.

47. Judging by the size of the village-store-cum-post-office and attached house, the retail trade paid better than mining. Robert Seath, the shopkeeper until his retirement in 1903, had hirnself been a miner. A notiee on the shop window advertises a loeal games event. The on ce pop uI ar Fordell Games and Sports? The girls at the shop door were presumably members of Robert Seath's family. Was the dog the onee ubiquitous store dug?

???? 7

OONIBRI5TLE.

IDEAL ~. SERII!~

48. Donibristle looking east. This rough, unmetalled road was then the main highway from Dunfermline to Kirkcaldy. Notice the man and boy at the side ofthe road. They are beside a public water pump, one of the two pumps that served the village. As in the other Donibristie postcards, some local bairns have been posed to 'watch the birdie'. Presumably they trailed round with the photographer who th en carefully posed them, according to his needs.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2017 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek