Cowdenbeath in old picture postcards

Cowdenbeath in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Eric Simpson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Fife
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5851-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Cowdenbeath in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

I -e-

.1-

THE SCHOOL. O:JNIBRISTLE.

49. The school building survives, although no longer in educational use. To the left we see part of the hall where village functions we re held. As weIl as a football team - Donibristle Heatherbell- the village supported, at different times, achoir, an orchestra, a ladies' club and, of course, a brass band. The instrumentalists included Robert Seath. Each village was intensely proud of its band. FordelI folk used to boast: 'Fordell band could blaw Dirthill Band ootside in.' There are around sixty bairns in this picture. While the lassies are bareheaded, the laddies are wearing caps.

50. In the same year , 1901, as the Engine Pit catastrophe at HilI of Beath, another disaster occured at No. 12 Pit of Donibristle Colliery. As mentioned in the introduetion. the cause of the accident was the in flow of peat and water from Mossmorran into the Mynheer Seam. This illustration from a contemporary newspaper shows what proved to be the only feasible way whereby rescuers could enter the pit. A wire was stretched across the gaping chasm and rescuers were lowered from above.

51. The Cowdenbeath Waggon Association was formed in 1903, using this horse-drawn ambulance waggon (above), a gift from the Cowdenbeath Public House Society. In 1921 the first motor ambulance was donated by the ex-Servicemen of the town. The vehicle shown here cost f600 in 1934. As many of the sick and injured had to be sent to Edinburgh, in 1936 the Waggon Association campaigned for a road bridge to replace the ferry. But Fifers had to wait another 28 years for the Forth Road Bridge.

52. Returning to Broad Street, we see the Cowdenbeath tram depot of the Dunfermline and District Tramways Company. The depot had space for thirty trams on seven parallel tracks. Note that even the trams have been 'posed' for the photographer, having being drawn forward, line abreast, to the front of the shed. In 1937, when the trams were withdrawn, Alexanders taak over the building as a garage for their buses. Today it is used by the Stage coach owned Fife Scottish bus company.

53. In this 1930s tramways peri ad photograph, we see Hodge's grocery store with the Pearl Assurance offices above. Like Robert Seath, Archibald Hodge, the founder of the grocery shop, was a former miner. On the left we see the spire of the farmer Free Kirk, which was demolished in the early 1970s. Same bare-fitted laddies are standing on the right, two of them with girds.

54. The town more or Ie ss grew round No. 7 Pit, which was sunk as far back as 1860. The women in the foreground remind us that, although banned from working underground by an act of 1842, pithead lasses still worked on the surface, screening co al. Originally owned by the Cowdenbeath Co al Company, No. 7 Pit, with others in the area, was sold in 1896 to the Fife Coal Company. Two of that company's coal waggons are visible in this circa 1918 photograph.

55. Foulford No. 1 Pit, loeated on the Lumphinnans side of the town, had been another of the Cowdenbeath Co al Cernpany's pits. The Fife Coal Company closed it in 1930. Later there was a eoal washing plant here. Clouds of steam and smoke belching from the big lum help demonstrate why there was so mueh dirt, grime and environmental pollution in the Cowdenbeath of old.

Kirkford p.t, Cowde bea

56. We are looking west towards Kirkford Pit (opened in 1898). During the 1921 strike, this was the scene of dramatic events. The under-rnanagers kept the steam-engines going that pumped water from the pit. Objecting to this, thousands of rniners, headed by the Cowdenbeath and Hill of Beath Pipe Bands, marched on the pit. The coIliery officials, thinking discretion the better part of valour, closed down the engines. In the High Street later th at same day the police made a series of never-to-be-forgotten baton charges.

57. Here we see another long-lived mine, No. 1 Pit Lumphinnans, which was sited on the north side of the raad from Cowdenbeath to Lumphinnans. Notice the railway bridge on the main road. Opened circa 1860, the pit was closed in 1957. As we see in th is card and in the next, the amount of space given over to sidings emphasises how important the railways were to the mining industry.

58. This is an early circa 1900 view of No. 11 Pit Lumphinnans, known locally as the Peeweep. Opened in 1896, it survived until 1966. Some miners can be seen on the stairway, beneath the winding-gear, ready to enter the cage. lt was in the 1950s and the 1960s that the majority of collieries in the West Fife coal-field were closed. This was a time when Middle East oil was cheap to import and oil was replacing coal as a souree of power.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek