Currie in old picture postcards

Currie in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   John Tweedie
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Midlothian
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2446-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Currie in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. This is the Red Row and the Villas. The coming of the branch railway (1875) brought much more work to the mills in the valley, and also brought the dormitory dwellers. So builders were busy building villas for business men wanting a country dwelling. The cottages were paper-workers' houses for many years, but at this time they were altered and six cottages were made into four. Balerno Paper Mill, for whom they had been built, had closed down in 1882. Here are the Galloway sisters and Granny Henderson's sweetie shop - you could even get stamps there!

10. Curriehill House. Originally named 'The Hill' (Thomas de Hill1329), this property is mentioned in the Trinity College and Hospital documents with regard to the fund started by Mary of Gueldres in 1462. This fund becarne the base for the founding of Edinburgh University (1583). It is also mentioned in the sixteenth century when Alexander of the Hill is summoned for his part in the Rizzio murder. Many of the later occupants have been famous, and several Lords of Session have taken the name of 'Lord Curriehill'. A very small section of this mansion is left, and the whole area around it is now a modem housing site.

11. Newmills. Near Curriehill House is this grain mill which supplied meal, and later, barley, A mill of two waterwheels and four pairs of stones with twenty-four horsepower, it was a busy place until it was burnt down circa 1914. Now the ruin is part of a tasteful garden, with the only trace of its early purpose a grindstone against the wall, as can just be seen here. Jamie Thomson, the local poet, wishes the miller weU in this verse: Lang may your mil! keep hail! an' weel/ May naething skaith her outer wheel.] Nae bits 0' flint, nor chips 0' steel/ Gang through the happer] To spoil the stanes, an' gor them reel] An' stop the c1apper.

12. Balemo Paper Mill, a mill which started in the 1770's, was, according to the Old Statistical Account, 'the biggest on the island' (six vats). This mill closed in 1882, as there was no room for expansion when the railway came. Ultimately it became a tannery, and now holds a Royal Warrant. James Thomson, the local poet, tells of an incident here in 1821 (Resurrectionist time), when stonebreakers, suspicious of a load, reported this to the mill management. Near Currie Toun brave Elliot met them/ And ae fit [arder wadna let them.] Fast by the reins he seized the horse] Craig searched the cart, and a' by force. - The corpse was taken from the cart.] Lodged in the Kirk, that sacred part.] And on them set a sturdy guard/ Without a prospect of reward. Two hundred yards west on the same lade stand the buildings (now a house) which mark the site of the Waulk Mill of Ballernoch granted to John Peny 1376.

13. Lennox Tower. On the high ground on the south side of the railway and Water of Leith, opposite Balerno MUl, stands an ancient ruin. The walls are 7'6" thick, and the building has been three sterles high. lts history is a mystery which haffles all attempts to solve. Through writers in the last century putting legends to it, Lennox Tower has become its name, hut no documentary evidence can be found. The ground upon which it stands was Kirklands - Kyl-de-Leithe - the base of the Archdeacons of Lothian, who came under the Archbishop of St. Andrews.

14. Lymphoy House. This is a triple extension of the original Easter Lymphoy Farmhouse of earlier days. Various references and charters are available back to the sixteenth century. Here is an extract from one of them: .. .Archdeans of Lothian to John Ker of Lymphoy and Jean Gib his spouse of teinds of Easter half of Lymphoy ... for 19 years and no mention of Lennox Tower! The stabling, byre and cottages have only recently been converted - no churning day now, with treacle scones of happy memory.

15. Currie Bowling Green. On 22nd May 1874 a meeting was held in the schoolroom, Currie, to consider the question of forming a bowling green for the district. Mr. Wm. Warden and Mr. A.G. Cunningham had visited Sir William Gibson Craig who expressed his willingness to grant a suitable site for a green on the western boundary of his property, sk:irting the Water of Leith. Here is an enthusiastic group, including Sir William Gibson Craig, enjoying a game on this early green. For many, many years the club attended at Riccarton for a strawberry and cream day, with matches played on the front lawn.

16. The Club progressed in membership, winning many trophies in the area, and in 1912 a new pavillon was opened. The ladies were invited to the event, and certainly did it proud - 'putting on the style'. The prizes on display are the Water of Leith Trophy and the Roy Geddes Cup, both won by the Club in the 1911-12 season. The first lady was admitted to the Club as a member in 1925, but most of the ladies were content to assist when tea or social graces were in demand. In 1961, however, a ladies' section was opened, and it has been very successful in a variety of ways.

17. Coming down the railway in earlier days, the first glimpse of Currie was over the Station Field - a pasture for catt1e overnight, awaiting or after transport. Over the water is seen the first school of Currie, then serving as three dwelling houses, and in the valley Burnside Cottages, which neighboured the meal mill. At the time of the national conflict in 1573, the holder of the charter for this landJohn Mossman - forfeited the right to it by being involved with the Kirkcaldie Brothers in holding Edinburgh Castle for Mary Queen of Scots.

18. Currie Station staff is here pictured with two train crews in 1902. Note the goods engine behind Mr. Melrose, the stationmaster, and the surfaceman at rail leveL Note also the oillamps on the bridge, the openwork sides, and the uniform hats of the staff, which are the same as the 'modern' ones recently brought into use. This station was the largest on the branch line, having two platforms and a goods yard containing mineral and agriculturalsidings. It was interesting to see the varied levels on the agricultural platform for loading livestock and straw, and another for potatoes and turnips. The branch in general was a single line loop, and depended for safe usage on a 'tablet' carried from signal box to signal box. The machine supplying the tablet sealed the action in that section. The whole place was welllaid out with flower beds, rustic and bamboo arches etc. - very colourfuI in summer.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2022 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek