Currie in old picture postcards

Currie in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   John Tweedie
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Midlothian
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2446-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Currie in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19. This is a view of Currie from the Station about 1920, after the lamps had been changed to gas mantle lighting. Above Burnside are the cottages once belonging to Wester Currie Farm. Behind the kiln are Society Hall, houses and shop, with Easter Currie Farmhouse and cottages to the east. The kiln, with ruin of mill in front and thatched cottage, all date from the fifteenth century, with extensions and alterations in 1778. As a mill it was active until the end of the eighteenth century, and the thatched house was intact until the 1940's.

20. Here is a closer look at the Burnside, taken by an Edinburgh photographer who mixed up bis titles. It makes quite a comparison with the one overleaf, taken at a later date. This one suggests that the bed of the lade for the mill is still on the left of the picture. lt was a very nice sheltered sun-trap with beautiful gardens at the back until the 1930's. The old drying kiln stands to-day as a memorialof early days, when people tilled, tended, threshed, milled and fed within their living area. To-day there are two modern houses with swimming pools on the site.

21. A major change in the district was when the sewer was put in circa 1896, and the now disused lade was used for the track. The embankment has been planted, and everything has been trimmed and cleaned up. The well in the foreground shows the type of water supply put into the village in 1872 (this one supplied five houses). In 1875 the Council Records show: J. Johnston, police constable, in Currie, was appointed sanitary inspeetor with a salary of i5 per year. Duties included: scouring and cleansing of the water pumps monthly, Washing your face at the front door would surely waken you up in the morning!

22. Through the Turlies was the path to the village from the Burnside and Bridge. The high building is Society Hall made up of: two dwelling houses and workshop below; house, shop, committee and refreshment rooms at road level; lcdging room and hall on top story. On the opposite side of this path up to the 1820's stood a building, part of which was recently exposed during the alterations of 1967. This would be the dramhouse of which James Thomson wrote: At Currie Brigend auld Marion was ken'd] For forty years at least.] The big and the sma', the rag git and braw/ The dominie, elder and priest. - Ye folks 0' Currie and Newmill.] Balarney Town and Curriehill.] Lament and wail this grievous ill and hang the heid: / Whar will we now get pint or gill/ When Marion 's deid.

23. This is the main street looking west from Toll Corner - on the left is Society Hall. This hall was built by Currie Friendly Society in 1831, an investment of their Sick & Funeral Fund. This Society was formed at the time of change in the eighteenth century, when, with the coming of the steel plough and the turnpike roads, life changed completely for the rural community. People who had lived in little self-contained ferm touns were now scattered and living on wages, which could be a problem in times of illness or death. It was later owned by the Masonic Lodge until it was demolished in 1967 at the widening of the road. On the right is a corner of Easter Currie Farm, which was still functioning until recent years.

Road - va dar} tllllli~! rd ti 171C1//( /;171(.[

24. Here is a harvesting scene at the northern limits of Easter Currie Farm, with Riccarton Mains Farm cottages in the background. This photograph, sent by a centenarian from South Africa, had been kept by him as a souvenir and reminder of his boyhoed days when his father was the farmer there. The correspondent died last year aged 104. Changes come, and though no houses have been built there, a road goes down through the middle of this scene to-day. The cottages are still in situ.

25. Evening at Cocklaw. Here are cattle returning to pasture in the setting sun - a rural scene seldom seen to-day. Farm cottages were in out-of-the-way corners of the countryside, and people found their own interests and pleasures, With minds receptive to work and nature, healthy, simple and contented, they found variety in moving from farm to farm as the mood took them, or as the family grew to working age, and an extra job was required. To-day the cottages have been converted into a doublestory farmhouse with a large garden. There is a srnall caravan camping site beside it.

26. Ploughing Match. This is Jock Hutchison and his winning team in 1913. The coming ofthe steel plough brought many changes other than higher productivity. Men took a great pride in their horses and skill with the plough, This was encouraged by the farmers setting up ploughing matches, and in 1784 the Highland and Agriculture Society was formed. In 1786 it was incorporated by Royal Charter, and the days of competition meant great days of interest and meeting of friends. Medals and prizes are still retained by their descendants with great pride. Comparisons: in very early days ... old Scots plough with 3 men and 10 or 12 oxen ... 1 drill. To-day: ... tractor and 1 man ... 4 drills.

27. Hermiston House. This estate is listed in charters back to the time of King Robert I, so the 1663 above the window must have referred to one of the reconstructions. This photo was taken early this century, and the general structure is as it was altered by William Burn, the famous architect, in 1824-1829. The property has had many owners, and there are many stories about it. It came into the hands of the Craigs of Riccarton in 1696 as a dower house. Willie MacDowall, the 'Willie' of 'Willie's Gane tae Melville Castle', married Griselda Beaton, heiress of Hermiston House, circa 1673. It is now the property of Heriot-Watt University.

28. Wester Row, Herrniston. Lying toward the northern boundary of the parish is the Farm of Wester Herrniston. On a highly productive flat shelf of land toward the northern boundary, Wester Herrniston farm cottages give a good example of the extensions made to farm housing in the 1920's. The darker line of the earlier height is quite clearly seen. James Anderson, LL.D., who wrote 'An Account of the Lammas Festival' for the Antiquarian Society, and many agricultural features in the eighteenth century, came from Langherdmanstoun, as it was earlier known.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2022 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek