Currie in old picture postcards

Currie in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   John Tweedie
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Midlothian
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2446-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Currie in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. Warriston - an old estate mentioned with Riccarton back in 1315 - has many ties with ancient times. Probab1y the best known of its owners was Sir Archibald Johnston of Warriston (Lord Warriston), one of the compilers of the National Covenant in 1638, and in many ways a national figure, He was a nephew of Ludovic Craig of Riccarton. His cousin, Thomas Craig, was very much involved with Covenanting, and was fined for attending conventicles. During this period the minister of Currie, Reverend John Charteris, was imprisoned for his covenanting sympathies, Lord Warriston was an elder in Currie Kirk and here is a relevant extract from his diary: 27th June 1652. I heard M. Jh. Chartres was caryed to Tantallon to be prisoner there, Unfortunately, Lord Warriston fell foul of King Charles II and was executed.

30. Roddinglaw Farm. This is another of the lonely farms of the area, and here, on a nice summer's evening, everyone wants to be in the picture. Bicycles are prominent, having become a necessity in such places if you wanted to get anywhere, Generally speaking, however, with their long days and heavy work, many were content to stay put. After all, they have also the horses to feed and bed down, which didn't leave much time to go anywhere,

31. Harvest time. Here they are hard at work clearing the end rigs, but they were happy to do it. After all, they now had a cutting machine to take over after a road had been cut - not like previous years when it was all hand-eut. At this time (1900), the binder wasn't far away, and then they'd have only the stooks to make. Little did they think of days to come when they wouldn't have to lead in, thresh, and carry bags of grain. Everything would be done in the field in one fast action.

32. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy - nothing Iike a visit to Edinburgh to brighten us up. A day off in town calls for a change of vehicle, so what could be better than driving a car in Princes Street? Davie and Andra demonstrate their skill with the new contraption - in the photographers. They later left the farm and became surfacemen on the railway.

33. The Croslet. This weient stone was found in the south strip at Riccarton at a site locally known as the 'barley coort'. It is assumed that this is a corruption of 'Burlaw Court', and that the cross is a relic of the days when all the loeal farmers met and agreed on a suitable programme by common consent. This photograph was taken at the original site in the 1890's. The loeal Bowling Club have this stone as a badge symbol, and asked that it be moved to the village during recent alterations, So now it stands opposite the Blacksmith's - a reminder of aneient times.

34. Riccarton House, This is how it looked after being extended by Sir James Gibson Craig in 1824. The ownership of this house gives a table of events in the national scene. It was presented in 1315 by King Robert the Bruce to bis daughter Marjorie on her marriage to Walter the High Steward, and from this marriage came the Stewart dynasty. In 1392 it was owned by the Wardlaws, and a member of this family gave Scotland its first university - St. Andrews. Ludovic Craig bought the property in 1610, and he was the oldest son of Thomas Craig who wrote 'Jus Feudale', the handbook of Scottish Land Law for four hundred years. Descendants were deeply involved in Covenanting, law, turnpikes, and liberal estate management down through the ages, In 1823 the male line died out, and the name of the heir was Gibson.

35. Dining Room of Riccarton House. The heir, who took the name of Sir James Gibson Craig, was backroom manager for the famous Reform Bill of 1832, and his descendants left their mark on all aspects of nationa1life: Parliament, Post Office, Railways, Education, re-planning system of Scottish Record Office. And latterly, as loeal affairs grew, we find another Sir J ames convenor of Midlothian County Council. Two heirs died, one in the South African War and one in the Great War, and the estate ultirnately fell to the female Iine. The heuse's final use was as General Headquarters Scottish Command; it was demolished in 1955. The policies now make an excellent site for the Herlot-Watt University campus.

36. Awning covers the pathway given to Currie Kirk in 1681 by Lady Craig as 'an way to carry the corpse att ony burial'. East of the Kirk is a remnant of the 'Old Quire' which had been part of an earlier church, and which has now been reconstructed into a Session House in memory of Dr. D.C. Stewart. During the work ancient stones were found, many dating back to the thirteenth century. The present kirk was built in 1784, centred on the south wall of the previous one, suggesting that at least three churches have been on the site. The ancient name was Kyl-de-Leithe, and was the seat of the Archdeans of Lothian.

37. Easter Currie cottages. These are the cottages of Easter Currie Farm prior to the 1914-1918 War. Four are two-roorned, and two are 'single-end', all with their pipe-clayed doorsteps and window-ledges. The houses and bothies got their water supply from the well by the butcher's shop at the end of the cottages. Note the coat delivery of those days - a load dumped at the front door.

38. Over the road are the earlier cottages, and the baker and grocer shops are set back with the trees between. In each case they have their stabie and coach house for the van. Delivery was an essential part of service in those days, This is a scene which brings memories of horses and carts along the kerb, the horses quietly feeding from their nosebags; tattie howkers at the weU rinsing tatties in a pail; and mill workers passing and re-passing throughout the day. It is noticeable that Kinleith Mill down in the valley is busily stoking its Lancashire boilers. Electric power is a bit away.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2022 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek