Currie in old picture postcards

Currie in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   John Tweedie
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Midlothian
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2446-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Currie in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. This was the post office in the days of three deliveries per day, and for one hour on a Sunday letters could be colIected at the post office. On a Sunday afternoon it was interesting to be at Curriehill Station on the main line to watch the English mail being picked up by the London Express as it roared past, by means of special gear. Then it was sorted on the train. Next door was the telephone exchange for the area. It had a fulI-time day-time operator, and the family in residence covered the night work.

40. Foundation stone of the Gibson Craig Hall being laid in June 1901. At the turn of the century a fund was set up for a public hall. This had been set going by Sir James Gibson Craig, seen here with Lady Gibson Craig - who laid the foundation stone - and the Moderator of the Church of Scot!and, Right Reverend James Mitchell, D.D. The minister of Currie Kirk, Reverend D.C. Stewart, is standing with his Session bebind him. During the time that the hall was being built, news came from South Africa of the death of Robert Gibson Craig, and so it was named the 'Gibson Craig Memorial Hall'. The background area of fields and trees is now filled with streets and houses.

41. Here is an eye-opener for the present residents of Currie area. How many would recognise the distant tree as the one at the Weavers' Knowe Inn? In early times this was Nether Currie, a piece of land known as an oxgait (thirteen acres), which was equal to two tofts, A toft was six Scotch acres where plough and scythe could gang and half an acre for a house and garden. This was Muir Wood Road back in the 1920's, and it wasn't very different in the 1950's.

42. Reverend D.C. Stewart is taken with the Boys' Brigade in front of the Gibson Craig Memorial Hall. With him are two younger sons of the Gibson Craig family, Archibald and Henry, and the drill sergeant, alocal time-served soldier. Archibald Gibson Craig was killed in 1915 during an episode in which Edinburgh newsboy George Wilson won the V.C. The dummy rifles used by the Boys' Brigade came in useful for the local Defence Volunteers, who used them for drill sessions at Kinleith Mill during the 1914-1918 War.

43. The hall helped the community greatly, and as the following pictures show, it widened the scope of leisure activities for all age groups. Here is a Kinderspiel cast outside the hall, with many who became well-known characters in the village in later years.

44. Light Opera. The cast for Gilbert & Sullivan's 'Pinafore' pose for the camera with their stage setting behind. No doubt, David Lindsay, the mill painter, spent a few hours on this lot. All types of local people are represented in this group, taken in 1913.

45. This is Currie Horticultural & Industrial Society Flower Show day in the Memorial Hall. In the industrial section the womenfoJk have obviously been very busy in the winter evenings. It is comforting to see how many people, even to-day, take a great interest in making something for themselves. The Flower & Vegetable section is, of course, the main part, and great is the competition for cups and certificates. This is still a big day in the village, and it attracts a large attendance.

46. During the First World War this concert party of Pierrettes in costumes made by themselves, went far and wide getting money for the Red Cross. They were all members of Currie Kirk choir. Add to these items the Drama group, dances, and, of course, the Literary Society, and you find that there was no lack of activities in the Hall.

47. East End, Currie. There was expansion to the east during the nineteenth century, and a builder, the loeal doctor, a dressmaker, a confectioner and a tailor took up residence there. Wattie Young, the tailor, was reputed to have the largest selection of heathers that could be found anywhere in Scotland. A great walker, he collected new specimens year by year. The dark earthen pavement on the left is now the smart frontage of a modem shopping area.

48. Here is Dr. Graham setting off on his rounds prior to 1922. He is driven by his coachman, Johnny Davidson, and the area to be covered is eight miles by four miles of steep, hilly ground whenever you leave the Lanark Road ridge. Both were very streng personalities. Johnny was particularly active on the Bowling Green, and he was also a past President and Bard of a loeal Burns' Club. Here is an extract from his oration in 1914: The spirit 0' oor Bard prevails] Aroond oor social board] And strangers wha wi' us wad sup] Are hailed wi' ane accord.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2022 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek