Currie in old picture postcards

Currie in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   John Tweedie
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Midlothian
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2446-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Currie in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. Looking over the valley east of the Doctor's house, there is the gardener's house for Kinleith Mill House. High on the bank stands BIinkbonny, which has a farm and mill workers' houses. Up on the left is a new block of twelve housesjust being finished in 1923. The building set among the bushes was the pavillon of Kinleith Curling Pond - a very busy place at times. It has since been used for a variety of purposes.

50. Currie Girl Guides. Here are some of the Company having a happy time on the embankment of the curling pond. The pavillon made a good meeting-place for them for many years, During the war the Guides were complimented for their work collecting sphagnum moss from the local moors to be used as dressings. Later, the curling pavillon was used as a temporary dwelling house, but now it is a min.

51. East Mill Complex. This involved three mills and a farm. The meal mill and farm can be traeed back to 1625, when it would be the mill for the entire Malleny estate. Looking downstream at East Mill from the bridge, built by the Scott's of Malleny (estate owners) in 1831, on the left we see the ivy-covered ruin of East Mill Bank with the substantial mill house beyond, and opposite can be seen the Snuff Mill. The buildings on the right are farm buildings belonging to the grain mill - recorded back to 1625 - and it worked as a meal mill untill900 when it was burned out.

52. Wyllie's 'Happy Families'. The grain mill was burned out, and at that time a Circus owner had a similar problem and was looking for a suitable home for his favourite animals. East Mill was perfect, and he settled down with donkeys, goats, geese, etc., etc. His son, though a banker, continued with this interest, and had special ponies which earned the keep of all the animals by puIling Cinderella's coach in Pantomime alternately in Glasgow and Edinburgh. Many loeal boys and girls were voluntary labour at this site throughout the years,

Snujf }r1ill, Juniper çreen.

53. Snuff Mil1 On this same site in 1749, the miller, Abraham Ferrier, with the assistance of James Thomson, wright in Sclaitford, got the right to build a mill on his own lade, for the milling of barley, snuff or lint. Here we have the first snuff mill to be built on the Water of Leith, and this it continued to do until 1920. 'Juniper Green' erroneously appears on many postcards, as these places are a short distance from the boundary.

J. R. R E.

54. Looking at the Snuff Mill from the south, the ivy-clad ruins of East Mill Bank can be seen over the water. This miJl, built early 1800's, is described in a Water of Leith survey of 1842 as 'a disused barley mill'. The house top left behind that mill had stabie and cartshed in the basement. The field is now a prosperous nursery garden. The railway wends its way round the corner into Juniper Green.

55. Torphin Quarry. One of the occupations for men in the district has always been quarry-work. Here a group are delighted to have a break while the camera gets to work. Through the years, of course, there has been a great change in the work, as stone is too expensive for housing now. All the stone quarried locally to-day is used in crushed form for a variety of purposes.

56. Kinleith Paper MilL This mill, upstream toward Currie again, started making paper in 1792, and was a six vat mill. We read in its first documentation of the group of associates who started it, with Robert Walker as manager. He was to be paid: one pound five shillings sterling weekly, dwelling house and offices erected by the Company, and garden thereto ... also coal, candles, soap, blue for the use of his family, a cow's grass and other small articles ... The water wheel was 10 feet broad and 23 feet in diameter = 36 H.P. It is interesting to know that waterpower was used for making emergency and week-end electricity up to 1954.

57. This is the engine which supplied steam power to Kinleith Mill from 1899. Every rope on the 25 foot driving wheel drove a separate section of the mill. There were driving shafts overhead and under floors - everywhere you went there were wheels whirling and belts flapping. This form of drive was replaced byelectric turbines in early 1920's, though individual steam engines drove the papermaking machines for many years longer.

58. This picture shows the maintenance men required in steampower days: engineers, plumbers, blacksmiths, joiners, patternmakers, masons, and staters. Every conceivable type of work had to be carried out with urgency in a mill running continuously from Sunday night until 6 p.m, Saturday. Of ten the week-end was their busiest time. In those days the only holiday they had was New Year's Day.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2022 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek