Currie in old picture postcards

Currie in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   John Tweedie
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Midlothian
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2446-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Currie in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69. Up the Poet's Glen is Jamie Tamson's Well An Australian visitor in the 1920's stands beside the well with the stone above, which has this inscription: My water's refreshing and perhaps may inspire] The enraptured mind with poetical [ire:/ I'm as wholesome and free to all who here passes/ As the [ount from the side of the Grecian Parnassus. J amie was a weaver to trade, and published two editions of his poems in his lifetime. He was appointed a supervisor on the Malleny Estate by Colonel Scott, who had the beam of Jamie's loom in his hall. On it was inscribed: A simple weaver at his loom/ Wi' duddy coat an' pooches toom/ May hae as guid and honest hert/ As ony laird in ony pert.

70. The Square is an interesting old place which reminds us of early living. It had an extension at right angles which was demolished when the railway came, and it was from this house that the Kinleith Mill area was farmed. We can read in a legal agreement by James Scott of Mallenie and James Yetts, nolt driver at Killeithe, of a house and yard presently occupied by him together with the park belonging to the lands of Killeithe in 1682. It was occupied until 1943. Here, in 1833, was born Daniel Dunglas Home, son of a paper milllabourer, who was claimed to be the illegitimate son of the 10th earl. He went to America as a child and later was found to be clairvoyant. He gave demonstrations all over the world. Frorn here we can walk up the disused railway track past the dam and sluice of Kinleith Mill, and soon are back at the Kirk.

71. The Manse Garden. Here is the Manse garden with Reverend O.C. Stewart and his wife - a picture taken very soon after they came to Currie in 1898. He was minister of Currie for fifty-two years, and had been a teacher before entering the ministry, He was a great character, very interested in people, and he was a well-known talker on Scottish wit and hurnour. George Clapperton, our rhyming postman, said: Any day ye are in Currie and go] Walking down the street.] There's an auld gent wi' a Highland ctoak] Ye'll very likely meet./ He 'U greet ye wi' 'Good Moming'] And shake ye by the han'] That's Dr. Stewart, oor minister] A weel-kent, kindly man.

72. Here are the Kirk and third school of Currie which was in use untill903. This school was opened in 1829, having been designed free of charge by the architect, William Burn, who at that time was involved at Riccarton and Hermiston Houses. When it was opened the dominie was Robert Palmer, an exceptional man, who painted hemispheres on the schoolroom walls and made sundials which were presented to the Congregation of Currie Kirk and to the Gibson Craigs, He was one of the founders of the Caledonian Curling Club, and the inventor of many systems for them. A former pupil wrote: The auld schule, the auld schule/ How lonely is the place.] Nae cheerfu' sound 0' laddies' glee/ Nor Palmer's weel-kent face.

73. Mr. Jarvie, headmaster, who came in 1894, is seen with an assistant and some of the pupils. Surely a picture to show the style of the period. The younger pupils were under the care of Miss Allan, who came in 1872. In a general inquiry in 1837 it was found that there were 116 pupils (80 males, 36 females), and that Robert Palmer, the teacher, had been taught at parochial schools in Galloway and Dumfries, but chiefly self-taught,

74. Malleny Curling Pond (photo taken in 1882). Up the Kirkgate towards the hills, traces of Malleny Curling Pond are left in one of the small woods. As can be seen from this photograph, the Club had a substantial pavillon and many members, Robert Palmer, schoolmaster, is standing with bis hands clasped over his brush handle, with Sir James Gibson Craig on his right, They were joint founders of the Caledonian Curling Club. Hurroe for the Curlers, the brave Currie Curlers.] The lads that can handle the auld channel stane.] They're no' very many, but oh they play bonnie/ They're as guid os the best, and they're second to none. (Anon.)

75. Malleny Ranges. A short distance beyond, in the open moor, there were the Malleny Ranges, which were set up by the 4th/5th Royal Scots Queen's Edinburgh Rifles. This range was busy most week-ends, and many special prizes were won by its members, Here we see a shoot in progress, and one of the special sharpshooters (Mr. A. Cossar) is fifth from the front. Here is a word from Jamie Thomson on their predecessors: Gude health I wish an' mony years] To a' ye Embro volunteers.] Ye look just like as mony peers! or Knights 0' State.] Ye've [reed the country frae the fears] It had 0' late.

76. Store Gala, 1910. A co-operative Society was started in 1874 centred in Juniper Green. lt was very popular, with a good delivery service in the two adjacent parishes. Every year a 'store gala' was held in Juniper Green, where there was a suitable park with a neighbouring volunteer haIl- a good insurance policy in case of rain. All the children paraded round the village before adjourning to the park for races and, of course, a 'bring your own tinny' tea and buns. The bearded man in the foreground is David Spence, who was the last preeentor at Currie Kirk.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2022 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek