Dalton-in-Furness in old picture postcards

Dalton-in-Furness in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   James E. Walton
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Cumbria
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2344-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dalton-in-Furness in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. Here we have a photograph which unfortunately is creased and slightly blurred. It was taken in 1915 from the foot of Beech Hill, looking along Market Street towards Gladstone Square. The shop on the right, belonging to George Roddis, was forrnerly (and subsequently) the premises occupied by Robert Blake, printer, bookbinder, stationer, publisher and emigration agent, who se business was established in 1868. On the opposite side of the road was an ancient farm (just off the picture), belonging to J. Fisher, which, according to the property deeds, was originally known as 'Cuckstool Farm'. It was probably built on the site previously occupied by the mediaeval ducking stool. The corner building facing the camera belonged at that time to the National Tea Company, and is now Barclay's Bank.

~alton-in- Furness

Beach XiII from q/adstone Square

The Wrench Series No. 8(73

10. On this photograph, showing the same part of Market Street as seen on the previous one, but viewed in the opposite direction, we are looking across Gladstone Square and up Beech Hill towards Tudor Square. The road seen on the right is Station Road, leading past the Town Hall towards the Railway Station. From the name above the shop on the left of the picture, we can determine that this photograph was taken about 1905, and one also gets the impression, probably quite wrongly, that at this time, Dalton was a quiet and peaceful town. Close examination reveals that Wells' shop was a 'Cash, Drug and Patent Medicine Store', and the one next to it belonged to J. Lewis and Son, fruiterers. At the far end of this block, the second of the taller buildings was the shop belonging to R. Blake, and was shown in greater detail in the previous photograph.

l'I1A.PKE7 5T-;:>-'E'T, DAl.. 'TO "'UI

11. This postcard was published in the 1920's by T.C. Hoskins, whose shop at Verandah Buildings in Market Street is shown here. The business was started in the late nineteenth century by T.C. Hoskins' father, who came to Dalton from the Isle of Man, and established a printing and stationery business in a sma11 shop in Tudor Square before moving here. The shop next door belonged to a chemist, and was managed at about this time by Mr. Birkett, brother of Lord Birkett. The shop at the end of the block was a grocer's, and was later acquired by Mr. Pearson, afruiterer. The Police Station and part of Tudor Square are also shown. Immediately across the road from these shops, but not shown on this photograph, is the Congregationalist Church, built in 1869.

12. The Police Station in Market Street was opened in 1897, as a rather elegant replacement for its predecessor, which was situated in Nelson Street. This photograph was taken in 1904, and shows the rather grand style of the building which contained the usua1 office, police houses at the rear, and in the centra1 portion, the Magistrates Court Room. The cases heard in the Court were usually of a relatively trivial nature, the more serious cases being tried at DIverston. The last case to be heard in this Court took place on the 31st October, 1928, and was concemed with a gambling offence. This marked the end of Judicia! Courts in Da1ton. In 1968, the Police Station was again transferred to new premises, and today, the building shown here consists of flats, a video library and an accountant's office.

13. This is a view of Market Street as it was in 1909. The photograph was taken from Tudor Square, looking west towards the older part of the town. The Police Station is prominent on the right, with Cleater Street joining the mam road immediately beyond it. The block of buildings on the far side of the Police Station eontained three shops of which the furthest one belonged to T.e. Ho skins, newsagent and printer, and the nearest one belonged to a groeer. It is interesting to notice the baker's boy standing in front of this shop, balancing his tray on his head. The row of terraeed houses on the left of the road is on Beech Hili, with the roof of Fisher's farm just visible behind the tree.

14. Here we are looking at the junction of Ulverston Road and Tudor Square, and, although the photograph is rather creased, it does give an accurate impression of what it looked like in 1900. The Tudor style building on the left corner is the Golden Ball Inn, looking remarkably similar to the way it looks today. On the right, the nearest shop belonged to Mrs. Crellin, who was a confectioner, and the one next to it was G.H. Courtney's fruit shop. Just beyond this the large doorway and adjacent buildings had originally been part of a farm which has now been demolished. The standpipe visible on the left is a relic of the days in the last century when Tudor Square was known locally as Never Green Square, a name derived from the fact that iron-ere carts used to stop here to rest and water the horses, and the consequent seepage from the carts stained the ground red.

15. Passing through Dalton in the direction of Ulverston, this stretch of road represents almest the last part of the town that the visitor will see. Although it is impossible to date this photograph with any degree of accuracy, it was probably taken at about the turn of the century. The large building on the left was the Catholic school which was opened on the 2nd August, 1880, and originally had a complement of thirty scholars. Today, the school is situated in a new building at the top of the hill of which the lower part is visible in the centre of the photograph. The building visible in the distance was a cmshing plant for limestone, belonging to a gentleman known as 'Scobber' Jones, and the opening just visible on the lower right of the picture is the entrance to the cricket field.

16. What ean reasonably be assumed to be the last surviving relie of the mediaeval feudal system in Furness, was the bi-annual meeting of the Court Leet in Dalton castle. This photograph shows the reading of the ancient proclamation on Market Place - a centuries-okt ritual performed each year in May and October and invariably attended by a large gathering, Latterly, at least, the principal business of the court was concerned with matters relating to the tenure of property, although the October court also dealt with the affairs of the entire Liberty of Furness and was responsible for the appointment of various officials. The last Court Leet to assembie in the town was held on the 24th October, 1923.

17. Local celebrations to mark the Coronation of King George the Fifth were held on the 22nd June, 1911. This photograph shows part of the large crowd of people which assembled on Market Place that morning, to take part in the festivities which commenced with a peal of bells from the church. This was fellewed by a trompet fanfare, specially composed for the occasion by Mr. J.H. Carter, the conductor of the Dalton Town Band; after which, between nine and ten o'clock, the band played a selection of music suitable for the occasion. This assembly marked only the beginning of the day's festivities, and was followed by a procession from the Town Hall to a service held in the Parish Church, with the aftemoon devoted to sports on the cricket field.

18. Here we have another photograph of part of the loca1 celebrations held for the Coronation of George the Fifth. Taken on the 22nd June, 1911, it shows another part ofthe large gathering led by the Town Councillors and the band, making their way to the Town Hall before taking part in a procession to the Parish Church. Taken in Gladstone Square, it shows part of Market Street extending from the Wellington Hotel in the top left corner to the Bank of Liverpool, situated in what is now the Gas Board showroom. Armistead's shop was a chemists. The Post Office is seen in its original locaticn, next door to the chemists.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek