Dalton-in-Furness in old picture postcards

Dalton-in-Furness in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   James E. Walton
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Cumbria
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2344-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dalton-in-Furness in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19. Following the death of King Edward the Seventh on the 6th May, 1910, the whole nation was plunged into mourning. In Dalton, on the day of the king's funeral, all the shops were closed and the window blinds drawn. A funeral procession, starting at two o'cloek in the aftemoon on Tudor Square, marched to the Parish Church for a memorial service. It was headed by the Inspeetor of Police and four constables, and included 'battalion drums' and the Town Band playing the Dead March from 'Saul'. All local organisations were represented, and part of the procession, including the Chairman of the Council and other councillors, is seen here in Market Street on its way to the church.

20. The large crowd seen here in Market Place, on the occasion of the memorial service for King Edward the Seventh, clearly illustrates not only genuine grief, but also the social attitude of the day, when people would turn out in large numbers for special occasions of any kind. On this photograph, the civic dignitaries can be seen on the right, at the foot of the mark et cross which is swathed in black, Immediately to the left of the cross and above the passage-way leading to Ship Hill, a stone set in the wall of the house bears the date 1683. The Ship Hotel is now a private house, but the Cavendish Arms is still in existence and is possibly the oldest public house in Dalton. It, or an earlier building on the same site, was previously known as the Black Cock and was reputed to date from the fourteenth century.

21. In the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, Dalton must have been unique in Furness for the remarkable number of clubs and societies which flourished then. Of these, the Friendly Societies formed an important and active part and were well supported in the town. In general, these societies were formed in Victorian times, mainly with a religious background, to provide financial assistance for any member who was away from work as a re sult of illness or injury. One of the large st and most successful of these societies was the Independent Order of Oddfellows, of which the local branch, the Loyal Furness Abbey Lodge No.1l83, is seen here in 1910 outside their Lodge Room in the Nelson Street School. The Lodge met here on alternate Saturdays, and the Juvenile Lodge met on every fourth Saturday. A large picture of Furness Abbey is depicted on their banner.

22. Nineteenth century Dalton was a town of intense social activity. Processions and parades were commonplace, and of these the May Day Gala and the Whit Tuesday Procession were annual events which survived until well into the present century. This photograph shows in excellent detail, part of a typically large crowd of people taking part in one of the club walks, by which name the Whit Tuesday Procession became popular1y known. Although not exclusively devoted to entries from the various clubs (Friendly Societies), they were the principal participants in the parades, and as well as their ornate tableaux, they were also represented by their junior members, on horseback, and dressed in Lincoln Green. Although it is not possible to be precise about the date of this photograph, it was probably taken about 1910.

23. It is believed that this photograph, showing part of one of the Whit Tuesday Processions, was taken in 1904. Seen here just after turning the corner from Union Street into Chapel Street, the Co-operative Wholesale Society's entry pauses for the photographer. The painstaking preparation and decoration of both horse and cart were obviously the result of many hours work, but this entry was by no means exceptional. Every float or cart taking part in the parade symbolised the creative flair, endeavour and initiative displayed by the members of the society which it represented, and because of this friendly rivalry and the enthusiastic support for this event, it became a regular feature of life in Dalton during the period about the turn of the century.

24. This is a rare photograph of the Whitsuntide celebrations which took place each year in Dalton. Here, the procession is seen approaching Tudor Square which is filled with fairground roundabouts and side shows. It was obviously taken about 1905 from an upstairs window in a building immediately opposite the newly built police station. On the pavement on the left, two ladies are selling fruit from a trestIe tabie, and the nearest of the row of shops behind them belonged to J. Briseoe, a buteher. A grocer, T. Casson, had the shop next door, and next to him was another butcher, F. Lehr. The remaining two shops belonged to 1. Berry, a shoemaker, and D. Crellin.

25. This photograph is very difficult to describe as the postcard gives no information at all about what this event may beo It was obviously taken in Market Street outside the Wellington Hotel, and it is equally obvious that the band which is performing in the forecourt is not the Dalton Town Band, but some other band consisting of much younger musicians. Close examination of the bottom left corner of the photograph, suggests that this is the occasion of a visit by a rather important person, seen here in conversation with the gentleman holding hls bowler hat in his hand. The sign ab ave the striped awning at the top of the picture gives an indication of the date, for it advertises 'Jervis, Refreshment Rooms', which existed there between 1908 and 1920.

26. The unveiling ceremony for the war memorial in Station Road took place on Saturday, the 25th of November, 1922. Thousands of people witnessed the cerernony which commenced with a parade from Market Place to the Cenotaph, where the service began with the hymn '0 God our help in ages past'. This was followed by the unveiling ceremony performed by Colonel the Right Honorable Riohard F. Cavendish. The dedication was then read by the Bishop of Barrow, after which the vicar of Dalton, the Reverend Canon Postlethwaite read out the 168 narnes inscribed on the two cast bronze tablets situated on opposite sides of the memorial. The ceremony concluded with three volleys fired by a firing party, and the sounding of the Last Post.

27. On this photograph of part of one of the May Day processions, the Dalton Fire Brigade is seen leading the parade along Market Street just before making a right turn into Wellington Street. The other fire-engine seen emerging from Nelson Street is probably from Ulverston. Although it has not been possible to date this photograph accurately, from the names above the three shops on the right, it must have been taken between 1903 and 1913. The May Day parade and show was an annual event in Dalton, and was usually held on the first Saturday in May. This festival was first held in 1894 and continued at least until the outbreak of war in 1914.

28. This rather nostalgie photograph is reminiscent of an era long gone, when, on or about the 24th of May each year, Empire Day was celebrated in our schools. The ceremony included the singing of patriotic songs and saluting the flag, and is seen here being performed by the boys and masters of Nelson Street School in 1908. Of equal importance to the children must have been the fact that a half day's holiday was granted for the occasion. The school in Nelson Street was opened in 1884 as a Junior Mixed School, and eventually became a schoolfor girls only. It closed in 1981, when its pupils were transferred to the new George Romney School at Rickett Hills. The schoolyard is now the site of the recently re-opened Dalton market. The building behind the railings is the town's library, construction of which commenced on the 10th of August, 1903.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek