Dalton-in-Furness in old picture postcards

Dalton-in-Furness in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   James E. Walton
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Cumbria
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2344-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dalton-in-Furness in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. This old photograph shows how Market Place looked in the second half of the nineteenth century. The building in front of the castle was erected in 1851 by William Butler, an attorney, who used it as an office. In 1873, when the Dalton Local Board was established, it was used as the Town Hall, and, as well as being used for the regular monthly meetings of the Local Board, it also provided office accommodation for the various loea1 govemment officials. In 1885, when the Local Board moved to its new premises in Station Road, this building was used as a Church Institute, and later as the Liberal Club. It was demolished in 1896.

30. This photograph was probably taken in 1903, and shows the neat, well maintained churchyard containing a yew and a rather young willow tree, both of which are still there but obviously much more mature. To the right of the photograph may be seen the column and pedestal of a sundial, believed to date from the seventeenth century; today, only the pedestal remains. In the centre of the picture, the south-west corner of the castle faces the camera, and on the right is the vicarage. The building to the left of the castle was the George and Dragon, which was demolished in 1912, and the site subsequently used for the erection of a private house.

j)a/fon-in- furness

jrfarket Cross &. S. Xellgate

l'he Wrench Series No. 84n

R. BLAKE. Dalton-in-Furness.

31. It appears from this postcard of Market Place and Skelgate that even in 1902, when two young Iadies got together they enjoyed a really good chat, perhaps to the annoyance of the rather bored looking dog. No-ene can dispute however the elegance of their dress; a fashionable reminder of the feminine modesty of that time. They are seen seated on the fish-stones, which, together with the cross were erected in 1869-70, the cross replacing an earlier one which had fallen into a state of decay. The building partially obscured by the cross was the castle branch of the Co-operative Society, which today is a Chinese Restaurant. To the right of the shop is Skelgate hill, and the large house on the other side of Market Place was the residence of Colonel Baldwin, J.P. Note the incorrect spelling of the word 'Skelgate'.

Market Place, Dalton.inĀ·Furness

32. Dalton's ancient market place, the oldest in Furness, is seen here as it looked in 1902. It was in the year 1239 that the town received its Royal Charter granting permission for the holding of a weekly market, and there can be little doubt that this is where the fust market was held so long ago. The scene is dominated by the castle, and, although a cross has stood here for centuries, the semi-eirele of stone slabs on which fish was sold is late nineteenth century. The ornate cast-iron drinking fountain on the right of the picture is Victorian, but sadly is now in need of urgent repair.

rJIlarket Cross and Sireet, :Dalfon-in-Jurness

33. In 1909, when this photograph was taken, Market Place was remarkable for the fact that there were nine public houses on, or immediately adjacent to it. This, of course, is because Market Place was the commercial centre of the old town, and on at least two days a week was a scene of all the clamour and bustle normally associated with a busy market. In the second decade of this century however, with the decline of the market, many of the public houses closed down. Two of these casualties are shown on this photograph, In the centre, just to the right of the drinking fountain, is the King's Arms, which closed after 1915, and on the right, the Ship Hotel, which closed in 1914. Both are now private houses.

The oia Gastle, Daltl:ln

34. This photograph of Dalton castle was taken about 1900. On the west wall, just above the ground floor window and partly obscured by the ivy, a row of projecting corbels strongly suggests that, at one time, a lean-to building had been attached to this side of the castle, The small doorway on the left in no way disproves this theory as this feature was only added in 1704, and was used to give direct access to the spiral staircase just beyend it. The castle dates from the fourteenth century, and, although it has been repaired and structurally altered several times, some of the original stone-work can still be seen in various features, for example, the ancient doorway in the south wall. The surrounding railings were

removed during the last war for scrap and have never been replaced. .

35. Had it not been for the message on the reverse side of this postcard, the occasion depicted on the photograph would have been difficult to identify, It shows a stream of people, all smartly attired in their Sunday-best clothes, on their way to church on Empire Sunday, 1902. This postcard was sent by the lady dressed in white on the right of the picture to her niece in Chorley, informing her, among other things, that the two little girls seen with her companion are soon to travel to Africa to join their parents, The idea of young children travelling alone to distant lands is ditficult to accept today, but at the turn of the century it was commonplace in Dalton for parents to emigrate, and make arrangements for their families to join them later.

36. The old Parish Church shown in this photograph, and the new church shown in the next one from a rather interesting comparison. This postcard, although undated, was obviously printed before 1883, for it was in this year that demolition work started on the ancient church, believed by many to date from the sixteenth century, but replacing an earlier one of Norman origin. Note the wall surrounding the churchyard, and the gate just discernibie on the left. Most of this wall was also demolished when the church was being rebuilt. In the foreground, from the left, we can see the row of cottages which were built from the structure of the old workhouse, and adjacent to them, the Green School.

37. This postcard, showing the new Parish Church and its environs, is also undated; but because it also shows the 'George and Dragon' public house just to the right of the church, it must have been published befare 1912. It is immediately obvious that the new church, designed by Paley and Austin of Lancaster, was a much more impressive structure than its ancient predecessor, It is seen here from the new cemetery which came into use in 1862, because of the fact that the old graveyard was overcrowded and could na langer satisfy the demands of a large parish, which at that time included the rapidly expanding township of Barrow. Although the old graveyard was na langer being used, an exception was made for a well-known Daltonian, Miss Cleater, who died at the age of 96, and was buried in the churchyard on the 20th August, 1903.

38. Here, in greater detail, we see the fine lines and elegant grandeur of the new Parish Church. This photograph was taken in 1904, and shows the church and part of the graveyard viewed from the south-east, The grave on the left, with the iron railings round it, is where George Rornney, the famous artist and portrait painter, is buried, The doorway on the left now leads into a new Church Centre, a recent addition to the church. An interesting historica! note conceming this burial ground, is that until the middle of the last century, there was a mound visible near the east end of the ehurch (to the right on this photograph), whieh according to tradition, marked the burial plaee of 320 vietims of the plague epidemie which ravaged the town in 1631/32.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek