Dalton-in-Furness in old picture postcards

Dalton-in-Furness in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   James E. Walton
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Cumbria
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2344-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dalton-in-Furness in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Parish Church, DaJton-in-Furness

V.& S.,D.

39. The impressive dignity of the interior of the Parish Church is immediately apparent in this photograph. Looking towards the stained glass of the imposing east window which was presented by the lay rector, the Duke of Devonshire, in memory of Lord Frederick Cavendish, who was murdered in Dublin, we see the church as it was in 1900, and of course, very much as it is today. The organ is situated just to the left of this window, but is not visible on this photograph. The oak pulpit, with its stone steps and base, was presenred by Mr. Wadharn of Millwood, and the lectern with the brass eagle was a gift to the church from friends of the late Mr. A.W.O. Roberts.

40. The late nineteenth century growth of the town created many new churches and chapels. This photograph shows St. Margaret's Iron Mission Church, situated on a plot of land between U1verston Road and the large field which was eventually to become the cricket field. Built in 1872 from funds provided by individual members of the Barrow Haematite Iron and Steel Company, it served as a place of worship for those members of the Church of England who lived nearby. Built of corrugated iron sheeting, hence its name, it could only be regarded as a temporary structure, and was demolished in 1901 to make way for a more substantial building.

41. This photograph shows the new St. Margaret's Church, which was built in 1901/02 as a replacement for the iron church previously described. In every way a much finer structure than its predecessor, it was regularly used by its Church of England congregation for almost eighty years, before being purchased by the Roman Catholics in 1981 to be used as their Parish Church, The date 1905 written on the postcard is erroneous and confusing: this is the date on the postmark. It is quite obvious that when this photograph was taken, building work was still progressing inside, and the photograph must have been taken in 1902.

42. No pictorial history of Dalton would be complete without a photograph of the grave of George Romney, Dalton's most famous son. Bom at Beckside, Dalton, on the 15th of December, 1734, he eventually became apprentieed to apainter named Steele, who was then living at Kendal.ln 1762, he left Kendal to travel to London, where he soon acquired a reputation for hirnseJf as an artist and portrait painter of great talent. He stayed in London for many years, until his failing health forced hirn to return to Kendal where he died in 1802. His son John decided that his father should be buried at Dalton with his ancestors, and his grave may be seen today, repaired and renovated, but without the railings which formerly surrounded it.

G005E GREE ??.?? OAL.TO ??.????.? FUR ??.? eSs.

43. This is a photograph of Goose Green as it was in 1930. It clearly shows two footpaths converging on the left, of which the far one led over the Haggs to Millwood, which until quite recently was the home of the Wadham family, and much earlier, the residence of the High Constabie of Furness, The nearer footpath is known locally as the Low Road, and leads eventually to Furness Abbey. Part of the old workhouse, built in 1825/26, ean be seen between the two rows of cottages on the right, although long before this, the disused workhouse building had been converted into cottages. The road past the row of houses on the left leads from Goose Green to St. Thomas's Valley, and the building on the right of this row is the Brown Cow, reputedly one of the oldest inns in the town.

44. To the north of Market Place is the steep hili known anciently as Scalegate, and today as Skelgate. This photograph was taken in 1898 by members of the Barrow Naturalists' Field Club, and shows a very different view of Skelgate from that which is seen today. The houses on the right, ascending the hili as far as the prominent gable end, and the short row at the top left of the hili, have all been demolished and the road is now wider than depicted here. One of the oid beer-houses, the Green Dragon, can be seen where the sign projects from the wall half-way up the hili on the left. It is interesting to re1ate that when the houses at the top of the hili were demolished, a sunken receptacle similar to a large bath was discovered beneath them, The purpose of this has never been satisfaetorily explained.

45. This photograph of Bank House in Church Street was taken in October, 1896. The occupant of the house at that time was Mrs. Mary Butler, who lived there until at least 1905. In 1911, it was owned by Dr. DougIas Anderson. The columns which can be seen on either side of the door, were originally used to support part of an oid building which was attached to the east wall of the castle. In the early part of the nineteenth century Bank House was a farm, and the property to the Ieft was a barn. Although today these two houses are substantially the same as shown on the photograph, the most striking difference is the absence of the large window seen on the left.

Da t t.o rr-Lrr- F'urness

v I< S., 1),

46. Here we have a panoramic view of Dalton as it was in 1903. It was taken from what is now Greystone Mount, and the most prominent features in the foreground are the railway station and bridge. Market Street is also visible running almost horizontally across the centre of the photograph, and towards the right, the two tall chirnneys indicate the site of the Dalton Brewery. On the extreme right, the clock above the Town Hall tells us that the time is ten minutes to one. The most distant row of houses is Mount Pleasant, below which and to the right is Myrtle Terrace, with Ellisca1es House near the top of the hill. The castle and parish church, with the tree-lined slope of St. Thomas's Valley, can be seen on the left.

47. On this postcard, postmarked 1904, only a small part of the town can be seen, The most prominent features are the railway, the station, and the railway yards on both sides of the line. The nearest of the two rows of houses on the left is Grove Street, and behind that, Railway Terrace. The horse and cart is seen negotiating the rather steep hilI on this part of Station Road as it leads up to the bridge over the railway line. Immediately behind this road is the football field, Railway Meadow; but it is not visible on this picture as it is screened from our view by the trees lining the road. Beyond, the gently undulating, fertile fields of Low Furness fade into the distance.

48. Rather more elegant in style than the majority of the houses which had been built in this part of Dalton, Fair View also had a more pleasing prospect. Built on what was previously Rickett Hills Lane, the houses which are seen on this 1908 photograph were soundly constructed from locallimestone, and faced the setting sun from the slope of a gentle valley. At that time, the only other building in this valley was Dowdales Mansion. Here we are looking from the top end of Fair View towards Chapel Street, and beyond that to the town. Today, the residents are more fortunate than the lady shown here, as they do not have to contend with a muddy, unmade road as seen in this photograph.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek