Dalton-in-Furness in old picture postcards

Dalton-in-Furness in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   James E. Walton
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Cumbria
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2344-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dalton-in-Furness in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Fair View from Elliscales .3(ouse

Tbe Wrench Series No. S46S

49. Looking east from the western edge of the town, we see Fair View in the distance, overlooking the valley in which Dowdales Mansion is situated, It will be noticed that at this time, about 1903, Fair View is still incomplete, with a large gap in the centre, through which can be seen the backs of the houses in High Cleater Street. The striking thing about this photograph however is in the immediate foreground, where the bend in the road which today is known as Myrtle Terrace, is depicted as being scarcely wider than a country lane. A gas lamp surrnounts the gate of Elliscales House on the left, the residence of W.G. Ashburner, and the gateway just byond it was the rear entrance to Dowdales,

50. Dowdales Mansion was originally built in the 1890's as the residence of Mr. George Bankes Ashburner, whose family had financial interests in local mines and quarries. The circurnstances surrounding the building of this mansion however are tragic; for Mr. Ashburner, on inheriting a massive debt incurred by his father, shot himself in a London hotel after attending the court case for the settlement of his father's estate, He was only 30 when he died, and had never actually lived in the home that was being built for him, Mr. Kellett, manager of the Barrow Haematite Steel Company, came to reside in the mansion in 1897, and in 1919 its occupant was Commander Craven. The building was opened as a school in 1928 with about 240 pupils, and the first headmaster was Mr. A.E. Bancroft.

51. On this rather indistinct and undated photograph, we are looking across the railway bridge at Dalton Station, to the tree-lined area known as Greystones. Greystone House, the home of Thomas Ashburner, is just discernible behind the trees on the right, and a row of houses and bungalows now exists in the snow covered field on the far side of the bridge. Although it was in 1846 that the railway lust came to Dalton, it was well over twenty years later than this when the first bridge was built across the line, and then it was only done as a result of increasing pressure from members of the public who expressed just concern for their own safety, and that of their children.

52. This photograph shows the Wellington Hotel in 1901. The history of this building is rather obscure, but can certainly be traeed back at least to the year 1825, when it was shown on an old map as Broadstone House. There is no mention of it in a local directory of 1798, so it is reasonable to assume that the building was erected in the first quarter of the nineteenth century. Whether or not it was built as a hotel is now unknown; but by 1849 it was known as the Broadstone Hotel, and, with its spacious yard and stables at the rear, it fulfilled all the functions of a residential inn. In 1855, the name was changed to the Wellington Hotel. Today, at the front of the hotel there is a forecourt, which is used as a car park for the patrons.

53. Situated on Tudor Square, but looking slightly to the left of the view shown earlier, we see the Black Bull HoteL It is fairly certain that this public house, together with the Golden Ball next to it, was built in the late nineteenth century to serve the needs of the large number of miners who settled in the town at this time. The sign over the door tells us that John Benson was the landlord, and from this piece of information we can deduce that this photograph was taken between 1907 and 1914. From 1915, for a number of years, the pub was managed by Mrs. Pickhall. Although no longer to be seen, the Tudor style decoration, and the colourful painting of the black bull, were for many years a prominent feature on Tudor Square.

54. This shop, situated on the corner of Station Road and Market Street where Barclays Bank now stands, was opened sometime before 1910 by C.H. Newby, who previously had been the manager of the National Tea Company in the same premises. Although basically a hardware shop, it is obvious from the posters that tea was still being sold here. A display of picture postcards can also be seen in the window. As far as it has been possible to identify them, the group standing in front, from left to right are: Mr. Bradley, recently returned to Dalton from the South African gold mines; unknown, unknown, Mr. Little (nicknamed Buller after the Boer War general), unknown, and Jim Ranger, a tobacconist.

55. These shops are situated on the corner of Station Road and Market Street. The gateway just visible on the extreme left leads to Joseph Fisher's farm, which has since been demolished, and the shop next to it belonged to T. Leaver, a gentlemen's hairdresser. The tobacconists was a partnership the proprietors of which were Jim Ranger and his niece, Miss Watson. When Mr. Ranger retired, the business was taken over by a gentleman who was an obsessive gambler, and whose constantly recurring debts eventually drove him to suicide. Mrs. Hoyle, still remembered by many Daltonians, then took over the business and remained there for many years, Today, this shop belengs to a hairdresser.

56. Looking further up Station Road from the corner shown in the previous photograph, we see the double-fronted shop belonging to George McKelvey, draper and hatter, who carried on his business here from at least 1902 until 1925. Between his shop and the tobacconist's are the offices of James Robinson and Son, Auctioneers and Estate Agents, and on the far side is the shop belonging to R. Preston, who was a plumber and glazier. Two centuries previously, all this property was part of the estate belonging to George Romney's father. The perambulator in the foreground in the care of the two boys, is definitely worthy of close examination, even though its occupant looks totally disinterested. This photograph was taken in 1906.

57. Not many old Daltonians will remember the shop shown on this 1924 photograph. It is number 59 Market Street, and was a wool and embroidery shop belonging to Mrs. Newby, seen here standing in the doorway. There is nothing remarkable about this shop; it conforms exactly to the style and decor of just about every other shop in Dalton at this time. What is worth commenting on however, is that this was just one shop out of many. The town was full of small shops of every imaginable kind, selling everything from horse's saddles to pianos, Today, ease of travel to larger towns has caused a sharp decline in Dalton's commercial activity, and the small shopkeeper is now almost extinct. This shop was one such casualty; it is now a private house.

58. Anyone familiar with the shops in Dalton's main street today, will certainly be surprised to see how Hartley's shop looked at the beginning of this century. Not very long after this photograph was taken, the shop front was extended outwards, and embellished with ornamental wrought-ironwork above and below the windows, thus bestowing an air of classical dignity &' to what had previously been a very ordinary shop : front. The business was established in 1846 by Esther Hartley, grandmother of Mr. Gilbert Reay Hartley, seen on the right in this photograph. The rather portly gentleman standing in the doorway is believed to have been the manager of the shop at that time. Today, this shop with its attractive decor is included in Dalton's Conservation Area.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek