Dalton-in-Furness in old picture postcards

Dalton-in-Furness in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   James E. Walton
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Cumbria
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2344-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dalton-in-Furness in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

WUft THE COMPltMtrt rs 'or the SEASON.

59. The drapery department of the Co-operative Wholesale Society was built in 1892, on a corner site between Nelson Street (on the left) and Chapel Street. It is not possible to say precisely when this photograph was taken, but the absence of the Drill Hall in Nelson Street proves that it was before 1928. The first floor of this building housed the Co-op offices and committee room, to which the main entrance was by the large, central doorway leading onto Chapel Street, The butchery department was situated between the drapery and the Wesleyan Chapel, which eau be seen on the right. Not many years ago this property became vacant when the Dalton Co-op was taken over by the Barrow Society. Today, the upper floor of the building is a social club belonging to the Dalton Amateur Rugby League Club, and part of the ground floor is a joiner's workshop.

60. Here we see the true heart of the Co-operative Wholesale Society in Dalton. Although there were a number of other Co-op shops in various parts of the town, the central branch was situated here in Chapel Street. The offices are on the right of the street, in the middle distance just beyond the Wesleyan Chapel and above the drapery department. The same building housed the butcher's shop, and immediately opposite was the main grocery department. The shop on the near corner was the men's tailoring department, and to the left, just off the photograph, was the shoe shop. The Cooperative Hall, which later was converted into a cinema, can be seen here above the last two mentioned shops. The entire block nearest the camera was demolished about 1972.

61. This photograph was taken in Station Road in 1903, and shows the relatively new building housing the Town Hall and Fire Station. The counci1 chamber was situated at the far end of the building, irnmediately beneath the clock tower. To the rear was a spacious yard, where back in the days before the advent of the motor car the fire brigade horses were stabled. Built in 1885 as a meeting place and offices for the Local Board, and, from 1895 onwards used for this purpose by the Town Council, it remained in use until1974 when, as a result of Local Government re-organisation, the Dalton Urban District Council ceased to exist. Although some offices are still situated here, this building is now principally used as a community centre.

62. Abbotswood was a neo-Gothic mansion which formerly stood on the wooded hillside a quarter of a mile to the north of the ruins of Furness Abbey, on the eastern slope of the picturesque Vale of Nightshade. It was built as a residence for Mr. James Ramsden of the Furness Railway Company by the Earl of Burlington, who was the chairman of the sarne cornpany, Mr. Ramsden was in occupation by about 1865, but he never actually owned the property; instead, he paid an annual rent of i2D5. He was knighted in 1872, and lived there until his death in Ocotber, 1896. After several successive owners the property was finally purchased by Barrow Corporation in 1961 to be used as a Civil Defence base. Not long after this however, because its condition had deteriorated so much after years of wartime neglect, Abbotswood was demolished.

63. The ruins of St. Helen's Chapel stand about a mile to the north of the town, by the side of the narrow, winding road leading to Roanhead. Originally it was a Chapel of Ease and is believed to date back to the monastic era, although remarkably little documentary evidence exists to confirm this. Before finally falling into a state of decay, it was last used as a house. Several years ago the large Gothic window seen in this photograph was dismantled stone by stone to prevent any further deterioration in its condition, and all the carefully numbered pieces were removed to the Dalton vicarage where they were stored in the cellar. This photograph was taken in 1898.

64. This photograph shows the structure of the Holy WeU as it was in 1898. It is situated about a mile and a quarter to the north-west of Dalton in a field anciently known as Ffarfarkenying, which came to be known locally as Farkillin, and is thought to mean a spring or well in a meadow. lts history is uncertain, but could possibly date back to the pre-Christian era as a ceremonial site. Alternatively, and perhaps more likely, it could have acquired its name in monastic times when it supplied piped water to a building belonging to Furness Abbey, in nearby Chapel Meadow. Today, most of the structure has disappeared, and all that remains to mark the site is one small piece of carved stonework in a shallow depression in the ground.

65. Dalton, in the early part of this century, had its fair share of people who could accurately be described as characters, The gentleman shown in this photograph, Blind Jimmy Graveson, was just such a person. Blinded as a result of a mining accident at about the turn of the century, he did not allow his affliction to deter him from making a living in a rather unusual way for a blind person. Twice daily he could be seen with his stick, tapping his way along many of the streets in the town, delivering newspapers. For a blind man this was quite an achievement. He is remembered as being fiercely independent, and would poIitely refuse all offers of help if he stumbled or feil. He died tragicaily by his own hand as a result of increasing depression. In this photograph he is seen talking to Mr. Bowron, a shoemaker, in Union Street,

66. Anyone interested in the photographic portrayal of character, would be fortunate indeed to find a better group than the six old men shown on this photograph. Although the occasion and date cannot now be determined, it is quite obvious that the photograph was taken on the Weint corner, just opposite the White Horse Inn. Seen here enjoying a leisurely pint of beer which had obviously been served by the person on the left, one cannot help but contemplate the wealth of information these old men must have possessed - a fund ofknowledge which would have been so valuable today, It is not all that long ago, that characters such as these were a common enough sight on the streets of Dalton; but time cannot stand still, and now they have all disappeared and their places taken by a new breed of Senior Citizen.

67. This remarkable construction, which at first glance could be mistaken for a piece of farm machinery or a mediaeval instrument of torture, was in fact a children's roundabout. It was designed and built by Tommy Hadwin, and consisted of a circular wooden platform through the centre of which passed a vertical wooden post. Cross-members attached to the top of this post carried the seats, and the motive power was provided by the simple, if primitive expedient of two men Iying on the ground beneath the platform, and pulling on the handles which ean be seen projecting from the main shaft. This photograph was taken on Tudor Square in 1907. Tommy Hadwin is the third from the left of the centra! group of four men.

68. Despite the fact that the smithy shown on this photograph really belongs in the realm of recent history, it appears that few of our older inhabitants know much about it. It was situated in Beckside, with ready access from Market Street along a path by the side of the Congregationalist Church, It is not certain when it first started, but it definitely existed during the period 1902-1920. It was obviously a flourishing business however, for this excellent photograph shows six men working there, and of these, it is thought that the central figure seen fashioning the horse shoe on the anvil was the owner, Joseph Winder. Note also the dog watching the proceedings, just visible behind the anvil. An old advertisement describes Mr. Winder as a black and white smith.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek