Dalton-in-Furness in old picture postcards

Dalton-in-Furness in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   James E. Walton
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Cumbria
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2344-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dalton-in-Furness in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69. Without doubt, one of the most important factors to inf1uence the development of the town was the rapid expansion of the iron-ere mines in the late nineteenth century. Shafts were sunk and pits established all around Dalton, with the inevitabie drastic effects on the hitherto pleasant countryside, The mines did pro vide employment however, even though the work was dirty, often dangerous, and always badly paid. This photograph shows ore about to be tipped from the rise to the haulage level at Nigel Pit, Roanhead, and gives an excellent impression of the working conditions underground. The Roanhead mines were owned by Kennedy Bros. of Ulverston, and finally closed down in the early years of the last war.

70. Hardly any information concerning the Tytup Lodge Hunt has survived; in fact few of the town's older inhabitants appear to have ever heard of it. Although centuries ago, the countryside around Dalton was eminently suitable for field sports, and the farne of the annual Dalton Hunt spread far and wide, today, no such activity exists, and it may be that the Hunt shown here was a short-lived revival of the old tradition. Tytup Hall, rebuilt in the eighteenth century on an ancient site, is situated just to the north of Dalton in open countryside which is probably quite suitable for fox hunting; but it is certain that the Tytup Lodge Hunt, shown here in 1906, did not survive very long after this.

71. Of all the amateur football clubs in Furness at the beginning of the century, the Dalton Casuals, or 'Cassies' as they were known locally, was by far the most successful, They are seen on this photograph, which was taken about 1919, outside the Railway Hotel in Station Raad, at almast the exact place where a goup of young men met eleven years earlier, and decided to farm the Dalton Casuals Football Club. It is unlikely that any of those present at that first meeting could ever have visualized just how successful their new football club would be; but successful it certainly was, emerging victorious from most of its encounters on the football field. One battle the club could not win however, was against financial mismanagement, and it was this which finally forced the Casuals to disband in 1925.

The Nalional Schools, Dallon-in-Furness

72. Of all the schools in Dalton, the Green School is the oldest, and deseends directly from the first school to be built in the town in the year 1622. In this year, Thomas Boulton, a Daltonian then resident in London, bequeathed the sum of f,220 to be used for building a school and a house for the master. Known originally as the Free School, in later years it became known as the Green School because of its proximity to Goose Green. The building shown here was opened as the Boys' National School, on the 3rd of November, 1862, and was built to replace the original school building which itself had been substantially altered over the years. The Green School closed in 1970 when its pupils were transferred to a new Church of England School, and the building is now the Green Goose Guest House. This photograph was taken in 1900.

73. lt has not been possible to identify the occasion depicted on this particular photograph, taken in the playground of Chapel Street School. The school was opened on January the 7th, 1878, as the Dalton Board Girls School, and had an initial enrolment of 66 pupils. Today, after passing through various phases in which it has catered for girls, boys and infants, it is known as the Chapel Street Infants School. The two-storey houses in the background are in Chapel Street, and those behind the wall on the right, in Cavendish Street. The school log books refer with a1arming regularity to constantly recurring epidemies of influenza, measles, mumps, scarlet fever and other ailments; but they also inform us that each year there were a number of Open Days for parents, sornetimes with dancing displays in the schoolyard. and this could weU be what is shown on this photograph.

74. One of the earliest photographs of the Dalton Fire Brigade, this postcard shows the appliance and crew posing for the camera just outside the town, on what appears to be Greystone Lane. It is believed that the person standing in front is 'Mad Captain Dunn', who earned himself this nickname because of the reckless speed at which he drove the horses when proceeding to a fire. The names of two of the three horses are believed to be 'Darkie' and 'Sidebones', and it is related by many older Daltonians that these horses were so weU trained that, on hearing the clanging of the fire bell, when released from the stables they would position themselves in their correct places on the shaft of the fire-engine, This appliance, which had been christened "The Duchess of Fife', remained in use until1926.

75. This photograph shows the tewn's first motorized fire-engine, which was purchased in 1926 as a replacement for the old horse-drawn appliance. The new vehicle, a Dennis, remained in service until 1934, when it was replaced with a Leyland Cub, which was bought with the aid of a !96D loan from the Ministry of Health. It is seen here, gaily bedecked with bunting, at the top end of Broughton Road, obviously taking part in a street parade. It is perhaps remarkable, that the person who took this photograph all these years ago, was standing in almest the exact place where a brand new fire station was to be bui1d in 1969.

76. Taken about 1925 on Market Place, this photograph shows one of the earliest Iocal buses. On the reverse of the postcard it has been described as the first bus, but the truth of this statement must be questioned as it is a well-known fact that in the early twenties, a number of private individuals ran bus services using vehicles that were only slightly larger than motor cars. Later, as larger, custom-built vehicles came into service, many of them were gaily painted in bright colours, and some of them had even been given names which were boldy painted on the sides, Among them were 'Scarlet Runner', 'Princess', 'Silver King' and 'Sportsman'.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek