Dinas Powys and St. Andrew's Major in old picture postcards

Dinas Powys and St. Andrew's Major in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Dr. Chrystal Davies
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Glamorgan, South
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2463-8
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dinas Powys and St. Andrew's Major in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. It is 1932 and this Lilywhite sepia card reveals some changes. Between the Emporium and Brecon House, Mrs. Wright's sweet shop stands on the site of the Lee Room. Ivy now covers the front of the telephone exchange, and behind its gate pillars the Iron Church bas become the Scout Hall. The cottage named Ty Capel still nestles alongside Ebenezer. On the corner by Ty Eglwys the milk cart has paused alongside Gwilym John's van, parked outside his grocer's shop. The Penarth bus waits beside what is now the car park.

... ---

.~

-'-'-

- ...? - ,:;::--

10. This pen and ink sketch depiets the second Ebenezer Calvinistic Methodist Chapel just before its demolition. A Methodist cause had been established in Dinas Powys in the eighteenth century, and the cottage meetings were visited by Howell Harris. The first chapel, with a thatched roof and floor of trodden lime and ash, was replaced in 1839 by the building shown here. A special feature was the stabie on the left for the horses of preachers who rode from a distance. The local White Bard, Thomas Lesley David (Dewi Wyn 0 EssyIlt), served here as deacon and chapel secretary circa 1849, when all the services were conducted in Welsh, a practice that continued until1897. This chapel was replaced in 1896 by the present Ebenezer, shown in 7,8 and 9, but the thatched cottage remained beside the new chapel until the late 1930's, the last thatch in Dinas Powys.

11. This unique thatched cottage, photographed in 1900, was the Round Lodge at the Caerau entrance to Cwrt-yr-ala Estate in the neighbouring village of Michaelston-le-Pit, At the time it was destroyed by fire it was probably the last of a primitive type that had since prehistorie times been a feature of the Welsh countryside and enjoyed a revival during the vogue of the 'Picturesque'. The conical roof was crowned with long straw, and a single line of liggers bound down the thatch over shoulder-high-eaves which formed a circular verandah around the house. The last owner was Mrs. Elizabeth Williams, seen here with her daughter Lizzie.

(!Je Ö (hatcheo Cottage - 'j)inas j>owis.

12. Bay Tree Cottage, shown here in a sepia card postmarked 1905, stood in Elmgrove Road. The steeply pitched roof was capped and edged with a protective layer of long straw, and the liggers followed the line of the deep curve over the tiny bedroom windows. The woman in the doorway, in shawl and traditional flannel apron over her long skirt, may be Mrs. Arm Fowler, a shirt-maker, who lived here early in this century. When the cottage bumed down in the 1920's, the occupant, Mrs. E.M. Lewis, escaped only with two bronze plaques commemorating her sons, killed in the First World War.

13. At one time most of the village was thatched. Two of the public houses had thatched roofs until late in the nineteenth century, the parish church until 1835, and this Personage House beside it until the 1890's. This sketch is an impression of its appearance before the fire which destroyed the original timbers and the roof 'chiefly covered with Cornish Tyle, and partly thatched', described in the Terrier of 1771. The windows had been moved from St. Andrew's Church, probably during the seventeenth century restoration, and inserted into this mediaeval building. After the building of the Georgian rectory close by between 1827 and 1833, this became the coach-house, and late a stabie and garage.

14. The first car in Dinas Powys was this 6 h.p, De Dion Bouton, which in 1906 could be purchased for f200. It is photographed in front of Howells' Steam Bakery, which had one of the first public telephones in the village. Standing in the gateway of the Mount Farmhouse is Mog Miles, woodcutter and farmhand. Notice the absence of number plates from the car, and the catriage-type Iamps high on either side of the bonnet. lts solid tyres bumped over the uneven surface of the roads and the topping of limestone chippings from the local quarries sent up a cloud of dust.

15. Looking in the opposite direction, Howells' Bakery, with its meta1 advertisements for the public telephone and Perth Dyes, is now on the left. The next shop was kept by Thomas John the cobbler. This is an early colour card and the detail reveals a group of five boys in caps and Eton collars reminiscent of the pre-war chocolate advertisement, under the end tree in the Mount Farm field. Across the road are the Wes1eyan Methodist Church, founded in 1876, and its manse, 'Kynance', both shrouded in creeper. The original tiny chapel was extended behind Kynance in 1903, and the new façade can be glimpsed in Station Road.

.;,

'3

c a.

a a

. r

o .:

~c ~ 't

z a

? C ~ 0:

Q r

~-~

- .?.

e a · .?.

riJt./.

~= ? ;; c

? a : .t

:t : ~

o ?

o ,

~~

, ,

? ?

;3

16. This picture of the new Wesleyan Chapel and its schoolroom was taken through the open gateway of Murch Farm, converted about 1960 into the present Wesleyan manse, Though Wesleyan Methodism as a separate denomination came late to Dinas Powys, Charles Wesley hirnself had preached in the parish church in 1740, the year previous to his visit to the mabsant.

17. Taken in 1910 in the same direction as No. 14, this photograph shows the south side of the Star Hotel, the Twyn in the centre, and on the right a shop that has been grocer's and greengrocer's and is now a house agent's, The gateway of the Mount Farmhouse is on the extreme light, its field and farmyard on the left.

18. Against a background of houses which are farniliar and extemally unchanged, a horse plods along Millbrook Road drawing a cartload of coal sacks. In the foreground the pedestrians pro vide a study in Edwardian costume. The lady on the left is elegant in flower-Iaden hat, leg'o'mutton sleeves, and carrying a parasol In the middle of the road a maidservant in a large hat, frilled blouse and dark skirt holds the hand of a small boy in breeches and stockings, The boy on the right against the wall has bare knees under his sailor suit and the other black-stock.inged boy and girls are carrying school books. Several classes of Edwardian village society are grouped for a moment before the photographer.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek