Dinas Powys and St. Andrew's Major in old picture postcards

Dinas Powys and St. Andrew's Major in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Dr. Chrystal Davies
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Glamorgan, South
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2463-8
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dinas Powys and St. Andrew's Major in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19. This early eard shows the opposite end of Millbrook Road and the old turnpike Road to Cardiff taken by the carrier's cart. Before the opening of the road through Eastbrook, all the heavy traffie passed this way. A 'cock' horse was kept in the meadow on the left ready to help pull heavy loads, and at one time a windlass was used on the steepest slope of Pen-y-Turnpike,

20. The drivers pose with their carts in this advertising photograph outside Mathews' Model Bakery on the corner of Cardiff Road and Greenfield Avenue. Built as a farmers' co-operative, it was converted to a bakery and in the 1930's to a garage, still in use to-day, The slogan on the upper door ofthe Flour Warehouse exhorted cu stomers to 'ask for our SPECIAL PASTRY FLOUR IN COTTON BAGS'. For the 1920's it was, indeed, 'Bang up-tc-Date' as the second cart proclaims.

21. This black and white postcard of Greenfield Avenue bears the green halfpenny stamp of George V. One of the bakery earts is parked half-way along the built-up side of the Avenue. On the left the houses terminate at the wall of the Scouts Park. Barrett's Garden House is the only building on the left-hand side of the Avenue beyond the 'green field' whieh gave it its name.

22. This very early card in black and white shows the view up MilI HilI from the bridge at the foot of Pen-y-Turnpike. The houses extend downhill as far as 'Glenview', later to be the village doctor's. The wire fence shows where the building was to continue towards Greenfield Avenue corner. On the right is the stone wall enclosing the field known as 'The Lettons', later the site of St. Peter's Church. But the old cottages are there on the hilI, and the telephone had arrived in 1890. the first huge poles making a striking modern contrast with the archaic outline of the woman passing nearby with her mark et-basket.

23. The same scene was photographed from lower down the Hill shortly after the completion of the present Mill Bridge in 1923. The red brick houses now extend to the corner of Greenfield Avenue (the man and boy on the left are crossing the end of the Avenue). The doctor's car is parked outside 'Glenview', and at the top ofMill Hill are the bank buildings completed in 1914.

24. We are back to the early big telephone poles and the rough stonework of the old humped-back Mill Bridge in this earlier card. At the top of Pen-y-Turnpike the toll cottages can be seen, and below them the end houses of Millbrook Road and Greenfield Avenue parallel to it. These establish the exact location of the next photograph.

25. This is a meet of the otter hounds, an annual sporting event in Dinas Powys, The hounds are gathered on the banks of the disappearing stream which flowed intermittently through the Lettons between Castlewood and Dinas Powys Castle. Notice the tweeds and plus-fours of the gentleman on the right and the cloche hats of the ladies in the background.

26. The otter hounds are in the Mill Strearn (Cadoxton River). On one memorable occasion the pack pursued a huge otter upstrearn to Cwrt-yr-ala Ponds. Swimming strongly against the flow of the stream, the otter entered the lowest pond and evaded the hounds by keeping to the original strearn bed below the level of the rest of this ornarnentallake ...

27 .... eager watchers crowded to danger point on the Squirrel Bridge (shown here above the dry stream bed). From this vantage point they were able to look down through the water and watch the otter, which finally escaped the hounds when they tired of attempting to reach it in the deeper water. The intricate 1attice-work of the Squirrel Bridge is a feature of many photographs of this beautiful series of ornamentallakes below Cwrt-yr-a1a Lawns in Michaelston-le-Pit,

T e Wa+erln S, Cwr ra 0., 0 na P w's

28. In 1804 Benjamin MaJkin in his 'Scenery, Antiquities & Biography of South Wales' described the situation of Cwrt-yr-ala House, 'lately laid out and completed' - Anything more beautiful, on a small scale, cannot well be conceived. The house, which stands on a pretty stream artificially widened and improved, running down into Barry Harbour, looks to the left upon an unterminated dingle, with a picturesque rock of limestone surmounting its ample fumiture of wood. The 'pretty stream' with its waterfalls and swan were pictured in this colour card, postmarked 1905.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek