Dinas Powys and St. Andrew's Major in old picture postcards

Dinas Powys and St. Andrew's Major in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Dr. Chrystal Davies
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Glamorgan, South
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2463-8
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dinas Powys and St. Andrew's Major in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. Cwrt-yr-ala Dairy, carefully designed with Gothic doorways and scalloped eaves, was a blend of romanticism and utility - a picturesque building sensibiy erected in the coollest spot in that romantic glen.

30. 'Reflections, Cwrt-yr-ala' - this view emphasises the siting of old Cwrt-yr-ala House. Erected on the site of a Norman tower, and of the 'elegant villa' of 1802, this Georgian house stood above the lakes from 1820 to 1939. During demolition, workmen discovered three wooden panels on the back of which Robert Moody, joiner, had chalked a note 'for the curious to constrew' on the contemporary trial of Queen Carotine, and a complete record of the work undertaken 'Edward Haycock, Esq., Architect, Shrewsbury, September 22, 1820. House Began building April 8, 1819' and so on to the date of completion - 'Mr. Carline, Shrewsbury, put up the chimney pieces September 22, 1821.'

31. Old Cwrt-yr-ala at the time of this card was still inhabited by the Rous family and their considerable staff, from Moore the butler to the village boys employed to sweep the paths of leaves before Mrs. Rous made her weekly tour of inspection. A famous yew hedge ran alongside the house, and the lawns swept down to the water's edge.

32. FIOm the ear1y nineteenth century unti11939, under the Rous and Brain families, the Cwrt-yr-ala keepers assembied local farmers, estate workers and their friends for the annual rook shoot. Here the head keeper, Edwin Williams, is the centre of a group with their guns and Mr. Brain's gun dogs, The various shooting parties at Cwrt-yr-ala were a bone of contention with the village school-masters, and every single year from 1881 to 1903 successive masters recorded in the Logbook their complaints about the ernployment of schoolboys to disturb the game for the guns.

33. This is Coachman's Cottage on the Cwrt-yr-ala Estate with its ancient-style centra1 chimney stack and the added attraction of a thatched porch, The story goes that an extra window was piereed in the end wall of the house so that the coachman cou1d lie abed and watch bis underlings exercise the horses,

34. St. Michael's Church, Michaelston-le-Pit, seen here at the beginning of the century, is a tiny cruciforrn building of Norman foundation, with the saddle-back tower so often found in the Vale of Glarnorgan. It possesses an octagonal front, dated circa 1400, and the last wooden three-decker pulpit left in the Diocese of Llandaff. Above the crossing is a tiny charnber with a sancturn squint which gave on to the altar.

35. This picture of sheep-shearing was taken in the field of the TUe House Farm, Michaelston-le-Pit, before the First World War. In the background are St. Michael's Church and the thatch of Church Cottage, once a schoolhouse. Mrs. Rous's butler, Jimmy Moore, could, like all countrymen, turn his hand to a variety of farming tasks, and he stands to the left of the picture, a fleece over his shoulder, The sheep are penned against the church wall, and those in the hands of John Thomas and his men are in various stages from the unshorn sheep just grasped by the shearer in the background, to the animal almost completely stripped of its fleece on the left. The children are playing on a heap of fleeces.

36. This is the first of a pair of postcards showing agricultural tasks on the Bullcroft Farm, Miohaelston-le-Pit. In this picture, taken about 1912, Dick and Christmas Williams are standing beside the Bullcroft amid the traditional profusion of a cottage garden, where flowers and vegetables were of ten mixed together. Here they are at work training the sweet peas.

37. Ivor and Fred Hopkins were photographed in the Ten Acre Field at the bottom of the Wrinston Lane. The horses, Duke and Jake, are harnessed to a hay-cutter, and Fred Hopkins stands ready with a hay-rake to remove the swathes as they fall inwards at each corner turn. The picture was taken before the First World War.

rh.-: M( nt, Omas PO"Wis

38. The manor house of the parish of St. Andrew's Major was the Mount, overlooking the Common. During the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries it was the seat of the Hurst and Lee families, Lords of the Manor of Dinas Powys. The original building, a farmhouse or shooting lodge, was known as Mount Pleasant, but the name was changed when, during the Georgian period, a south wing was added to become the main part of the house. This view, postmarked 1906, shows the Mount and its exotic garden in the time of General Lee, who played a leading role in village affairs for nearly half a century. He was bom in the upstairs room nearest the camera in 1823, and died there in 1920, mourned by the whole parish. The Mount passed from the Lee family in 1934, and has now been converted into flats. The coach-house on the right was demolished to make room for the building of modern bungalows in the grounds.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek