Dinas Powys and St. Andrew's Major in old picture postcards

Dinas Powys and St. Andrew's Major in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Dr. Chrystal Davies
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Glamorgan, South
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2463-8
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dinas Powys and St. Andrew's Major in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Bryneithen. Dinas Powis

39. Bryneithen was the home ofD.T. Alexander, author of 'Glamorgan Reminiscences', The grandsen of a man who came from Newmarket in the eighteenth century to manage the racing stud at Fonmon Castle, D. T. Alexander founded the family firm of auctioneers and estate agents, still in existence. In Dinas Powys the Alexanders built two mansions, Bryneithen and Tai An, both on St. Andrew's Road, Bryneithen, pictured here, is now an old people's home, and St. Andrew's Church-in-Wales Primary School stands in this field beside the house.

40. Samuel Lewis's 'Topographical Dictionary of Wales' in 1833 described this Georgian building as 'a spacious and commodious rectory-house', begun by one Rector, Reverend John Williams, in 1827-28 and completed by bis successor, Reverend Windsor Richards, in 1833. It replaced the mediaeval Parsonage and was inhabited by successive Rectors of St. Andrew's until it became a private house on the retirement of Canon Hilary Jones in 1964. It is now known as St. Andrew's Old Rectory. The pediment and parapet, which form such a distinctive feature in this picture, were removed in the 1920's. The grounds contain an old wen, and between 1901 and 1911 the gardens were planted with exotica by Canon David Davies who was a keen botanist.

41. The Reetory grounds were the scene of many a parish tea-party. The local branch of the Mothers' Union was inaugurated at meetings at the Mount and at Bryneithen on consecutive days in 1894, and Mrs. Mary Alexander became the first Emolling Member. In this photograph, taken on the Reetory lawn in 1924, the Rector, Reverend Edward Davies, sits beside Mrs. Alexander at the gathering of members and local clergy to mark her retirement after thirty years service.

42. The Parish Church of St. Andrew's Major - its picture cut out here from an early sepia postcard stands a mile and a half outside the mediaeval village of Dinas Powys. Though oral tradition suggests that this is a Celtic foundation, the earliest work in the present building and all the existing documentary evidence suggest that the church was built by the Normans. There was a Rector of St. Andrew's in 1232, and possibly in 1187. The Registers go back to 1744. The embattled tower and the porch are late fifteentb and early sixteentb century additions.

43. The nave and chancel of St. Andrew's Church on a sepia card printed probably before the First WoIld War. This, the oldest part of the building, dates from the thirteenth century. Larger windows were added in the sixteenth century and the chancel arch was rebuilt in the Victorian period, when chancel and sanctuary were richly coloured. The font is Norman, of Sutton stone, The arcade on the left gives on to the north aisle. At the end of the aisle a derelict burial chapel was walled up in 1828. The blocked archway and the carved woodwork in front of it can be seen beyond the areading on the left. It was re-opened and the chapel rebuilt in 1921 as a memorial to General Lee.

J)ma Powis.

E'he j>arish {;hurch.

:z: o

44. The heavy colouring of this card, postmarked 1906, obscures much of the detail of Dinas Powys Station, then on the Barry Railway linking Barry Docks with Cardiff. It is just possible to distinguish the platform (left) and signal box (centre), both built when the line was opened in 1888. The siding led into a goods yard, obscured by the tree on the left. A tank engine on the up line is drawing a load of wagons and open trucks. Above the station there is a view of the outbuildings of the Malt House Farm. The Church Woods, Coed yr Eglwys, form the background to the village.

45. This view, in sepia, was taken like the previous photograph from Wellwood Drive, but the slightly different angle enables us to distinguish between the trees on the left, the oid Malt House, an original cru ek strueture, and above it the open space that had been eommon land sinee Norman times. The station, signal box and Malthouse Farm were demolished about 1970.

46. Home from the Boer War in 1902 came Harry and Noel Isaac of Elmgrove House. The schoolchildren, the village band and most of the inhabitants in their smartest holiday attire have turned out, waving Union Jacks, to meet the returning soldiers, who with their father are lifted above the heads of the crowd in a pony trap being drawn by an enthusiastic group of villagers. Such occasions as these, when the sons of the big houses returned in triumph, brought general rejoicing, tea parties for the children and excitement for the whole village. In the background are the station and a signal set at green.

47. This is a view taken from the old Station Bridge. The postmark is not clear, but is probably 1914, with the green halfpenny stamp of George V. At the down platform is a 24-2Iocomotive No. 94 on the Cardiff to Barry train. The up platform with its garden and Victorian station building is empty, but the down platform is thronged with passengers and the signal is at 'go'. The goods siding and points can be seen on the right. In the background is one fascinating detail - the on1y known view of Pear Close Farm, close to the road which slopes up te the Murch railway bridge. The farmhouse was demolished after the Second World War, as were these station buildings, on1y the platforms remaining.

48. This blaek and white postcard bears a green Edward VII halfpenny stamp postmarked 1908. It shows the picturesque wooden foetbridge across the Mill Brook (Cadoxton River) below the Wellwood, which took its name from an ancient weIl, Ffynnon Humffra. The sloping footpath connected with WeIlwood Drive and Brynydon School. In later years the banks of the stream were strengthened with concrete at this point to make a sheep-dip for the Southra Farm.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek