Dinas Powys and St. Andrew's Major in old picture postcards

Dinas Powys and St. Andrew's Major in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Dr. Chrystal Davies
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Glamorgan, South
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2463-8
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dinas Powys and St. Andrew's Major in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

7J nas Pow s.

49. The caption 'Truant Schoor on this sepia card indicates its early date. The Cardiff and Barry Truant School was founded in 1899 as an industrial school for delinquent boys. In 1933 the name was changed to that of the large field (originally part of the Mount Farm land) on which it was built - the Bryndon, later Bryn-y-don, and successive headmasters of more liberal views sought to wipe out the old name and the old repressive traditions. It was an approved school at the time of its closure in 1979, and is now being converted by the Hebron Trust into a conference and leisure centre. This picture shows the red brick façade of the school with the headmaster's house on the left,

50. Dinas Powys (variously spelt over the years) derives its name from an Iron Age fortification or dinas between the present village and Michaelston-le-Pit, As this was on private land and the first tentative excavation did not begin until 1913, it has completely escaped the attention of postcare photographers, who concentrated on the Norman Cast1e pictured here. Built circa 1200, only the curtain wall and ruins of the keep remain. The cast1e was held by the Norman De Sumeri family until the male line died out in 1321. lt is reputed to have changed hands several times during successive Welsh risings and was 'al in ruine' by the mid-sixteenth century. In 1982 the cast1e was purchased by Dinas Powys Civic Trust. On the left is the ruined main gateway, on the right the postem in the east wall.

51. The caption is false, This is not the castle, but a romantically castellated enclosure, used at one time for livestock, which served as a retaining wall to hold back the water of the header pond for the water-mill, It was a natural mistake for a printer who did not know the area.

52. This card is postmarked 1922, over a red George V stamp, when the po stage had risen to ld. The picture clearly shows the castle on the hill with, below it, the mock castle of the previous view. The pine end of the Mill House appears over the roof of the barn adjoining the Mill itself. The over-shot water-wheel is encased in the lean-to beside the Min, water from the header pond passing over it and flowing into the stream below. The Mill was also a farm, and a prominent feature was the Dutch barn in the foreground.

53. The header pond for the Mill was filled by a leat which Ilowed below the castle and the water was controlled by sluice gates. The Mill itself was constructed in 1426, and an original beam was still in position in the 1930's. The manorial accounts contain a full record of the building costs, totaJling only .t:8-6-D%d but supplemented by the boon work of those who held their land in feudal tenure from the Lord of the Manor and could be required to give their labour in a cornmunual project of this sort. The Mill was in use for five centuries. The bard Dewi Wyn 0 Essyllt was bom at the Mill House in 1820 and hirnself worked as a miller. Milling ceased before the Second World War and the mill pond was emptied. The Mill was converted into a modern house, but the last working mill wheel remains in position beside it.

54. Traditional tasks like milling and mowing had changed little over the centuries. This mower, photographed about 1900, is using the traditional English scythe (the Welsh scythe had a thong that passed over the shoulder, but no horizontal handles) and is moving forward with the steady swinging motion that laid the swaths neatly to his left, Between 1187 and 1191 the Norman lord, Ralph de Sumeri, had confirmed to the monks of Tewkesbury Abbey according to the donations of his ancestors ... two parts of all his tithes of his demesne in Dinaspowis and the long list is headed by 'sheaves'.

SS, A picture which recalls the line of the oid nursery rhyme - 'the sheep's in the meadow'. 111e haymakers wouid turn the hay with their rakes before Ioading it with pitchforks onto the wain. Though unnarned, this photograph may well have been taken on Dinas Powys Moors with Pop HilI in the background, The shapes of the long narrow fields in this area reproduce faithfully the strips of land in the great open fields of the manorial system, apportioned for grazing and crops by the annua1 Court Leet. Rheidiol, the schoolmaster, remembered seeing oxen ploughing these open fields as late as the middle of the last century, and the Terrier of 1771 mentioned that the Rector, among others, had rights of common on the Moors no number of sheep or cattle limited.

56. Since the failure of the de Sumeri line in the mid-fourteenth century, the manor had been divided into two 'moities' and this division persisted into the nineteenth century when the Jenners ofWenvoe Cast1e shared with the Hursts and Lees of the Mount the privileges and duties of Lords of the Manor. The Jenners held considerable estates in Dinas Powys and many loeal men worked on the Wenvoe Cast1e Estate, Here they are grouped outside the castle on a visit to the Cardiff Exhibition in 1896.

57. Loading the hay wain in the fields of Murch Mawr Farm, about 1930. In the foreground the hay still lies in swaths after cutting and turning, nearer the wain it has been raked into rough haycocks for pitchforking on to the load. The fields are built over and the barn has disappeared but the house in the background, Seatondale, stands near to the entrance to Valley View Estate and gives the location of this hayfield close to the site of Murch Junior School,

3ó9"

THE VlLLAGE (I 02). DiNAS POWiS.

58. Dinas Powys viIlage is shown on this sepia card postmarked 1914, with clearer details of the shops across the Twyn, The horse and cart stand outside what is still a butcher's shop, though it then had its own slaughter-house beside it. Next, on the extreme left, is a grocer's which is now the post office. These occupy the site of a thatched cottage where Mrs. Harry kept a general store in her living room. After its demolition late in the last century, the stone from the cottage was used to raise the level of the Twyn. The shop in the centre background with net curtains in the window was the first bank, opened by the National Provincial as a sub-office to their Barry branch from 1911 to 1914. Though banking was limited to certain hours on Monday and Friday, it was a sign of increased commercial activity in the village.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek