Dinas Powys and St. Andrew's Major in old picture postcards

Dinas Powys and St. Andrew's Major in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Dr. Chrystal Davies
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Glamorgan, South
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2463-8
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dinas Powys and St. Andrew's Major in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59. It is interesting, less than twenty years later, to notiee the proliferation of telephone wires and the ehanged form of transport outside the shop now labelled 'R.C. James Family Buteher'. The may trees whieh obscured the view of the barber's shop with its cigarette advertising sign have gone, The bank beside it has reverted to its original use as a village shop. Behind it ean be seen the roofline of the loek-up, now divided into Eekley and Almond Cottages.

f i

60. Another pair of viewcards features the new bank buildings, opened in 1914 at thejunction of Mill Hill and Elrngrove Road. The sun blinds testify to a new shopping development at the top of Elrngrove, behind the gas lamp that was a traffic hazard for another generation. In the background are the old stables of Elrngrove House, where the portrait painter Margaret Lindsey Williams was to have her studio between the wars. On the right, nestled together in jolly companionshop, are two of the old village inns, the Cross Keys, once the meeting place of the Court Leet, and the Three Horse Shoes, where Dewi Wyn 0 Essyllt lived for a period after marrying the daughter of the publican. The fashionable young lady with the pram is wearing a boater and short dress, but the skirts of the older generation still reach to the ground. In the foreground is the curate on his bicycle,

The Village, Dynas Powis.

61. This long view of the same scene about 1930 shows the tongue of land which jutted out at the bottom of Highwalls, before road-widening, and the lamp standard now empty of its gas-lamp (compare with No. 8, taken from the opposite direction more than twenty years earlier). Each generation of children finds the Twyn wall a happy resting-place.

62. This view of Dinas Powys was taken from a vantage point on the 'cliff" above the Gwalia Brickworks. lt shows the infilling of houses between the village and the railway line after the building of the Barry-Cardiff Road. In the foreground are the railway cottages in Elmgrove Place, later to be extended to the Brickyard Bridge on the left, Contrasting types of building in Cardiff Road meet at the Institute at the foot of Elmgrove Road. In the background are the white houses of Park Road on Pen-y-Turnpike and the gap in the low hills that leads to Michaelston. In the foreground are the Brickworks kilns.

63. The Red Cross Hospital was opened in 1916 in the Institute, which had been planned as a hotel but never granted a licence. Later it became St. Winifred's private school and was then divided into flats. Convalescent soldiets in their distinctive blue uniforms stand behind the railings towards the close of the First World War.

64. This marbie plaque in memory of the fallen of the First World War was unveiled in the North aisle of St. Andrew's Church in September 1920 before a parade of Red Cross nurses and exservicemen. Disagreement over the form to be taken by the memorial in the village meant that the small cenotaph on the Twyn was not built and dedicated until1935.

65. Armistice Day was first celebrated on 11th November 1923, when a huge parade headed by a Boy Scouts Band marched from the village to St. Andrew's Church. Pictured here on the Common, the muster included men of the British Legion, Boy Scouts, Girl Guides, Red Cross and a large contingent of Truant School boys in their grey uniform jerseys and striped ties. They assembied beside the Mount wall for a group photograph taken in sections and patched together by the Iocal historian and amateur photographer, Percy Randen.

66. This view, taken before the First World War across the fields of Highwalls Farm, shows the backs of houses in what became known as Oid Highwalls (the originallane from the village to the farm). The newer building on the right in Highwalls Road halted for some years at this point, and to-day the change in building styles is clear. On the left of the picture is Highwalls Farm. The tower of St. Augustine's Penarth, rnay be glimpsed as a faint mark on the horizon beyond the oak tree. The fields between Penarth and Dinas Powys, empty in this view, are now fuU of houses.

67. Parming ceased at Highwalls on the eve of the First World War, and the farmhouse and outbuildings were converted into a clubhouse for the new golf course laid out between the village and the woods. It was a development that kept this piece of ancient farmland clear of building except for the fringe of houses at the top of Highwalls Avenue, and the greens sweep up towards the Church Woods and the One o'Clock Gate on the crest of the hill.

68. The Tennis Club was established on the slope overlooking the Common, and from the original grass courts there was a panoramic view across the commonland and the low-lying Moors to the sea, These were the common fields of the Norman rnanor. In 1789 1010 Morgannwg had described the scene as a fine even plain of excellent soil, where the inhabitants keep their sheep and other cattle, Rheidiol, in 1878, wrote poetically ofwide marshes unknown to the merciless plough extending to the sea, In 1930 the view was unchanged ex cept for the disappearance of the oxen but the Second World War was to bring the towers of modem industry to Cadoxton Moors.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek