Dinas Powys and St. Andrew's Major in old picture postcards

Dinas Powys and St. Andrew's Major in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Dr. Chrystal Davies
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Glamorgan, South
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2463-8
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dinas Powys and St. Andrew's Major in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69. This view across the bowling green below the tennis courts shows on the right Merevale, a pleasant Victorian mansion demolished in the 1960┬Ěs. On the hili in the background is another of the charmingly original houses built at vantage points around the village. With its grey stones and diamond-paried windows, Witchwood adds a touch of mystery and magie to the lane which leads from the Twyncyn to Church Woods.

70. On 29th June 1929 Mrs. Mary Alexander laid the foundation stone of a new church in the Lettons. Designed by J.P. Grant as a daughter church to St. Andrew's, it replaced the old iron chapel of ease in the village. The Rector, Reverend Edward Davies, calls for silence as Mrs. Alexander, supported by her daughter Grace, wields the ceremonial troweL Behind the Rector is Reverend Augustus Lee, who had succeeded his brother as Lord of the Manor and who gave the land for the new church. The Britton family,local builders, operate the mechanism to lower the stone into place.

71. This beautiful colour series of twelve postcards of Dinas Powys is dated by the caption 'New Church' for St. Peter's dedicated on 15th October 1930. It was built of weathered dressed Pennant stone and white lias from the demolished ironworks at Cyfarthfa, with the hard locallimestone used for the piers and windows. A plan to complete the church with a tower where the small belfry stands in the near corner has never been executed. Lacking the high gloss of post-war cards, this set is most attractive in the warmth of its delicate colouring, more true to life and more accurate than the splashes of colour on earlier British-printed cards,

72. In another of this series of the viI1age in 1930, the gas lamp still has pride of place. On the 1eft is a clearer view of the Three Horse Shoes, The horse trough has been replaced by a drinking fountain erected to mark the coronation of King Edward VII in 1912 (beware of checking the inscription, it has been altered to read Edward VIII!). An alternative design for this fountain, with a pleasant red-tiled roof, used to be on show in the Council Office of the Parish Hall, erected in 1907 in Britway Road and shown on the right of the picture. The Penarth bus stands outside the National SchooL The lime trees on the Twyn are higher and another generation of schoolchildren are playing on the wall.

73. Next to the Twyn, the Mill Waterfall was the most photographed view in Dinas Powys, though usually in full spate and not, as here, when the sluice gate was lowered - a sign that the water must be building up in the header pond to work the mill wheel.

2919

A VIEW FROM LECKWITH HlLL.

14. The old raad over Pen-y-Turnpike passed through Leckwith village and down the long, stoop slope of Leckwith Hill to cross the Ely River and continue across the flat, open Common to Cardiff. This was the way taken by Charles Wesley, Benjamin Malkin and count1ess other travelIers until the construction of Penarth Raad after 1866 and the opening of the new raad through Llandough in 1934. Until then a bar to raad improvement was the narrow mediaeval pack-horse bridge at the foot of Leckwith, with its triangular refuges for pedestrians. This sepia card is postmarked 1913, but the view from the hillside by the ruined lime-kiln had been substantially the same for generations.

75. Another sepia card, postmarked 1915, shows the view up Leckwith Hill in the opposite direction. The farmhouse and stables of Leckwith Bridge Farm are in the foreground, two empty carts in the yard. Fortunately, access to this farm was still necessary from the improved road, so the new bridge (constructed in 1934 by a Norwest road gang which included several Dinas Powys men) was built in front of the pack-horse bridge shown in the foreground on this picture. For the same reason, the mediaeval bridge has been preserved with the recent building of the new peripheral road along the river bank, and Leckwith will present an interesting example of three styles of bridge building spanning many centuries.

76. These gipsy wives with their vans in the old Murch Lane, now Plas Essyllt, Until the outbreak of the Second World War the Romanies had always paid an annual visit to Dinas Powys, appearing silently out of the countryside and melting away again in a rhythm that was as much a part of village life as the passage of the seasons. Now they, too, are part of our history .

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek