Dunbar and District in old picture postcards

Dunbar and District in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Dr. David M. Anderson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Lothian, East
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6232-6
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dunbar and District in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

59 The Beach Improvement Committee was formed in 1878. It brought together a diverse group of interests in the civic, commercial and sporting fields. lts work was very effective and two groynes were soon in place to retain a greater depth of sand on the East Beach. Two bridges were sited to cross the Biel Burn at Belhaven and West Barns. No less than five bathing places were designated and improved - hardly the swimming ponds oflater days, but an advance on bathing from the beaches where swimmers were at the mercy of the tides and offshore cmrents. At first the sexes were strictly segregated and the

Old Bathe, first mentioned in

the 1840s, became the Gentlemen's Bathing Pool. There was already a retaining wal! sa it was fitted with a one-way valve to improve the change-over of water. Out on the rocks a pathway was

carved and a handrail and ladder were instal!ed for adult seabathers. Inshore, a gentle sandy bottom was ideal for young beginners!

60 Opening Day! Dunbar Town Council embarked on a great programme of public works in the 1920s. The town now had a 'Civic Improvement Committee' to coordinate action. Inadequate housing in the old part of the burgh was replaced by new 'schemes' (housing estates)

in the Boroughdales. Tennis courts and putting greens, capable ofhosting competitions offorty couples or 500 putters respectively, appeared in all suitable places: the income of over f:S00 annually helped to defray their cast. The jewel in the crown was undoubtedly the 'Safety Swimming Pond', seen here at its debut gala on 29thJune 1929. 500,000 gallons ofrefresl√ľng

(icy, even in high summer) sea water was filtered and frequently changed in a secure, well-finished basin. There were terraces for spectators, latecomers making do with the slop es of the Glebe, and in

1930 the old pavilion made way for a suitably modern affair, with all mod eaus.

61 This is what a trip to the seaside at Dunbar meant for sixty years. This fact is attested to by many recent visitors who, returning after many years, look in vain for their old playground. The whole bay has been returned to nature, but at its peak in the prewar years the pool complex boasted paddling and boating ponds, the main pool and this stunning pavilion. It was built of red stone and it held changing rooms, offices, a snack bar (selling essential hot drinks) and a large furietion room. The ballroom and terrace hosted dances in the lang summer evenings. Every week during the summer there were all manner of competitions and galas. A

team of 'grotesque' divers made regular appearances and renowned British swimmers gave exhibitions of their skill. The photograph shows that the pool was busy even on ordinary days. Several sets of

chutes and diving boards provided variety - same were at the deep end and some at the shallow side for the youngsters.

62 Unfortunately, the bestlaid plans of the Council and Corporation of Dunbar were let down by the drama of the sea at their chosen site. The unpredictability of summer storms meant that a good swim was never a sure thing. The seawall under the line of breakers was systematically raised, but to no avail. Consequently, the pool was aften a good three or four feet deeper than designed. Weed, sand and stones were brought to the pool bottorn by every wave, leading to frequent, laborious cleaning operations. However, in circumstances such as here, youngsters could still have a fine time. Rather than perch on the diving platforms, the very best

place to view the waves was the hulk of the Doo Rock, upper right. Of course, getting there was half the fun. The lee of the seawall made a perfect suntrap when the waves subsided and was a

very popular place to spread a towel and bask on summer afternoons.

63 The New Bowling Green was pretty old, even when this photo was taken. The 'new' was named in relation to an 'old' , which was laid

out where the Abbey Church was built. These lands were once part of a Maison Dieu or hostel associated with the Collegiate Church of Dun

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek