Dundee in old picture postcards volume 1

Dundee in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Norman Watson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Dundee
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6404-7
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dundee in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

9 The Royal Dundee Institution for the Blind was opened in Magdalen Green in 1885. It benefited from electric power in 1912 and from a visit from King George two years later. A year after that the title 'Royal' was awarded. One of the institution's main objectives was to provide employment for adult blind persons. A retail shop in the city's Nethergate was opened in 1964- to display their work. By then the institution employed 130 workers.

10 Dundee's Royal Arch was actually Royal Arch II - the sequel. The first was constructed of wood and erected in 1844 in celebration of Queen Victoria's visit to the city. In 1850 it was decided to establish a more Iasting commemoration of the visit in stone. The arch, a landmark to seafarers, not to mention generations of Dundonians, was demolished in 1 964 to make way for the Tay Raad Bridge.

1 1 This postcard shows a west-bound tram passing Sinderins corner around 1920. Blackness Library, seen on the right, was the gift of the wealthy philanthropist Andrew Carnegie, who provided 07,000 to build and equip severallibraries in the city. It was designed by Dundee's innovative city architect [ames Thornson and apened in 1908.

Perth Road from Sinderins. Dundee.

12 The Albert Instirure was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott, one of the foremost architects of his era. The Library department apened in 1869 and the Museum and Art Galleries followed in 1873.In1978 the Albert Institute began a new phase when the publie library left the building to move to the Wellgate. The meadow area which once existed in front of the building was the city's open-air forum - the rendezvous of would-be politicians and fire and brimstane gospellers'

13 Dundee Town House was designed by William Adam, father of the famous Adam brothers, in 1734. The building was steeped in history. It witnessed an attempt by the ]acobites to return to power under Bonnie Prince Charlie in 1 745. Towards the end of the 18th century it saw public protests inspired by the French Revolution. In 1803, when Napoleon threatened invasion, the Provost mustered the Dundee Volunteers at its doors. Then, in 1832, rioters attempted to set fire to the building to 'burn out the Tories' . The Town House was controversially demolished in 1932.

14 Raphael Tuek's fameus Oilette series were among the Rolls- Royces of postcards. This splendid beach scene at Broughty Ferry is a typtcal exarnple of the Tuck treatment. The artist is David Small, a local man who worked for major publishers.

15 The King 's Theatre, later the Gaumont, was built in 1908. Since it closed as a cinema and, latterly, as a bingo hall, much has been said about the building's future. During its heyday as a theatre, however, it boasted twice nightly performances and, as this fine Edwardian postcard shows, it drew the crowds.

16 The one-time importanee of Court House Square, now rather peripheralised on the margins of the city centre, can be gauged by this postcard. From the left we see the Salvation Army hostel, the bus terminus, the fa├žade ofthe Sheriff Court and the main entrance to the Central HoteL The Palladian-style court house, which included the police office and [ail, was built in 1833.The former hotel is now banking offices.

17 The oldAlbert Square post office stood at the top of Reform Street, opposite the main gates ofDundee High School.It opened in 1862 and formed the focal point of the rapidly developing city postal service for thirty years. This expansion soon led to the need for new and larger premises and the office seen in this postcard was dernolished in 1898.

Old Post Office, Dundee

R. H. Luadie, Reform Sueet

1 8 The central section of the firstTay Bridge collapsed dUIing a terrible storm on 28th December 1879. No one survived, Locomotive 244 was salvaged from the river the following April. The heavy lifting chains broke twice during the operation. Given the tragic circumstances, it is curious today to learn that the engine was returned to service and remained in use until 191 7. The macabre nickname given to it by railwaymen was "The Diver'.

OLD TAY BRIDGE DISASTER, 1879: THE ENGINE

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek