Dundee in old picture postcards volume 1

Dundee in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Norman Watson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Dundee
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6404-7
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dundee in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

1 9 The Central Reading Rooms in Barrack Street date from 1 911 and were created out of Andrew Camegte's global drive to improve library facilities. The building is now Barrack Street Museum and features the city's natural history collections, including the famous Tay Whale skeleton. Barrack Street was formerly Burial Wynd. In April 1807 its residents, perhaps not surprisingly, petitioned the Town Council to have the name changed.

20 The estare of Dudhope was granted by Sir William Wallace to Alexander Scrymgeour when he was appointed Constablo of Dundee in 1298. The original keep was replaced by a castle in the 15th century, which in turn was replaced by the existing building a century later. Although Dudhope Castle's walls are many feet thick, Dundee's militant suffragettes took the notion to blow it up in 1914 - only to see the fuses to their explosives extinguished by a breeze!

21 A shambles of slaughter houses existed at the head of the Murraygate, in the far distance in this splendid posteard. A weekly horse market was onee held in the vicinity. It is recorded that the animals were ra eed up and down the eongested thoroughfares to the great danger of the inhabitants. It was in the Seagate adjoining the Murraygate that Dundee's infàmous witeh, Grizzel Jaffray, was burned at the stake in 1668.

22 The magnificent Clydesdale Bank building has dominated the heart of the High Street for 120 years and was the talk of the town when it gave the first public demonstration of electric light. Down the Murraygate, on the left, was another building equally popular on pay-day Fridays - the La Scala cinema. This was opened in 1 9 1 3 and pioneered 'talkies' when they were introduced to Dundee in 1930.

23 Althaugh this pastcard refers to the site of Mathers' temperanee hotel, generations ofDundanians knew the building as the Cholera Hospital. It was [ust a tenement when it was cernmandeered by the city's health authorities when the infirmary in King Street couldn't cape with cholera victims during a major outbreak in 1832. During the epidemie Magistrates ardered tar barrels to be burned in the streets to purify the air.

Union Streef (now site of Ma/hers' }lofe/), Dundee

24 This view of the High Street and Bridge Lochee, featuring the Old Toll Bar, dates from 1913. It will be a scene readily familiar to all those with connections past or present to the Camperdown jute works nearby. Lochee High Street was also a busy terminus for trams.

25 This pre-1900 harbeur scene shows the Royal Arch on the left and the docks extending up to Shore Terrace and George Motton's bonded warehouse. now the subject of a sensitive conversion into flatred accommodation. Mortori's began life as a grocery business in 1838. Rubble from the demolition of the Royal Arch in 1964 was used to fill Earl Grey Dock nearby. Many were keen to see the back of it - its nicknames included Gateway to Nowhere and Pigeons' Palace.

26 This is how many rnodern-day Dundonlans would like to see their beloved but much maligned waterfront! Here is the Esplanade in 1907 (looking west) with all the elegance expected of Edwardian times. The popular promenade was opened as far as the railway bridge in 1875. The replacement bridge can be seen in the distance,

27. Another current concern in the city is the future of the Baxter Park pavilion, long the subject of neglect and the attention of vandals. Here, however, it is seen serving its original purpose, as the centrepiece of the formal park laid out in 1863 by [oseph Paxton, the man who also designed Chatsworth House and Crystal Palace. Baxter Park opened amid great rejoicing and a public holiday - but a planned balloon aseent in front of the assembied crowd of 60,000 failed to get off the ground because of wind speeds.

28 Magdalen Green has been a west end playground for two centuries. In times past the green ran down to the river to where an open-air bathing pool was sited. The tradition of dashing down to the share came to an abrupt halt -literally - in 1845 with the arrival of the Perth to Dundee railway, an event which led to a protest by baptising ministers!

Cnildrens Corner. Magdalen Green. Dundec.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek