Dundee in old picture postcards volume 1

Dundee in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Norman Watson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Dundee
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6404-7
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dundee in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  >  |  >>

69 Dundee decks, under the careful watch of the Doekmasters office (left foreground). Ta the left was Earl Grey Dock which stretched along the share to where Captain Scott's research ship Discovery is now berthed. When Discovery was launched in 1901 a specialluncheon was held in the Queen's Hotel, hosted by the ship's makers, Dundee Shipbuilders Co. Ltd.

70 Gray Street, Broughty Ferry, without a car in sight! No double yellow lines, na lights, na cable television workmen digging up the streets. It is a pity that we have to turn back the dock some ninety years to witness such a scene!

êray Street, É1roughty Ferry

71 The Union Hall in the old Nethergate was a church originally. It was constructed in 1783 and existed for almost a century bef are being demolished as part of the city's radical improvement scheme during the 1870s. Note the size of the dock.

Union }fall, showing Old fVefhergafe

72 Prior to the construction of George V Wharf, King William Doek (shown here) , along with Earl Grey Doek, was often lined with vessels loading or dis charging. On the street side, cargoes of timber from the Baltic would be discharged directly on to railway wagons from the tall sailing ships and barg es. This dock became home to Dundee's whaling fleet.

73 It is possible that this is a demonstration parade during the acrirnonious dockers' and carters' strike of 1 911 . This strike paralysed trade in Dundee and led to the closure of more than twenty mills with 20,000 people laid off from work. Three hundred Black Watch soldiers were deployed to keep the peace, along with hundreds of policemen. Despite this, there were various disturbances as the men pressed claims for better working condinons and improved pay.

74 Dundee's history is entwined with efforts to span the Tay estuary. The first Tay Bridge was designed by Thomas Bouch (1822-1880). This postcard shows the girders ofthe first bridge (top), along with some of the girders used in the construction of its eventual replacement.

75 Bouch's rail crossing over the Tay was opened in May, 1878. Iust 18 months later, after a terrible storm on 28th December 1879, the city wake up to the sight of a yawning gap at the centre of the bridge and the news that up to 75 people had been lost, presumed drowned, after a passenger train plunged into the water. This card, pubIished when the dis aster must have been fresh in the minds of many, shows the protruding piers of the bridge.

76 For Fifers, toa, the collapse of the Tay Bridge in the storm of 1879 must have taken on nightmarish proportions. This postcard shows the view seen by the people of Wormit as the morning of 29th December dawned.

77 We now see a comparison ofthe old and newTay bridges, with the dual pillars of the new bridge clearly defined. Inquiries into the collapse of the first bridge found that the soil composition of the river bed was incapable of taking the laad weight of solid iron girders on a solid masonry base. Also, it was asserted that wind resistance factors were incorrectly calculated.

········· ... .-r.

TAY RAIL BRIDGES, OLD AND NEW, DUNDEE

78 This close-up view of the construction of the new bridge in 1886 shows its proximity to the stone piers of the first bridge. The second bridge was constructed by William Arrolof Glasgow and opened for service in 1 887. Fourteen men lost their lives during its construction.

<<  |  <  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek