Dundee in old picture postcards volume 2

Dundee in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   Norman Watson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Dundee
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6682-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dundee in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19 Now we are at the West Port looking up Hawkhill on a Valenrme's Series postcard from the early 19005. Note again the busy comings and goings and rattling trams in this working-class city enclave. During Communistled riots here in September 1921, windows were smashed with missiles commandeered from broken 'cassies' and mounted police had to farm a line to prevent looting.

20 This unusual photograph from 1954 shows the large sundial, which was Iocated in the vicinity of Dock Street. Known as Dundee Harbour sundial, it was dismantled and removed during preparatory work for the new road bridge. However invaluable a sundial might be as a chronometer, they could only be of use in daylight and when the sun was shining. One wonders why Dundee had one in the first place, then!

21 The Communist Party has enjoyed a prominent position on Dundee's political map. The city, for example, has put forward as many Communist candidates for general elections as anywhere in the UK, including Willie Gallacher, who stood against bath Winston Churchill and the Temperance leader Edwin Scrymgeour in 192 2. Here a Communist Party May Day march in the

195 Os ends in City Square. Note the prominent 'Stop the drive to War' message to the superpower rivals.

22 Taken before 1900, this photograph looks east along the Nethergate towards the High Street. The building in the foreground, right, is St. Andrew's Roman Catholic Cathedral. To the left is Tay Street. Approaching in the centre is a curious steam tram from the 1880s. In the mid-1990s, the eminent Scottish historian Emeritus Professor A.A. Duncan of Glasgow University delivered a paper to the Abertay Historical Society in which he asserted that Dundee was first established in the Nethergate area, rather than the more commonly held Seagate.

23 One of a set of 12 Blind School postcards issued by the Simmath Press, Perth Raad, around

1 92 0, the top section of this divided card shows a mixed class of 14 pupils. The lower section shows the pupils taking part in dancing instruction. Dundee Institute for the Blind was opened in Magdalens Green in 1885. It benefited from e1ectric power in 191 2, and from a visit from King George V two years later.

24 The Mars Training Ship was a familiar sight in the Tay between 1869, when it arrived, and 1929 when it was towed to Inverkeithing to be scrapped. The Mars was home to some 6,500 boys during its 60-year stay on theTay lts original purpose was quite different, however.

It was built at Chatham in the 1840s as an SI-gun, four-deck man 0' war!

25 The city-centre publishing offices of

D.e. Thomson & Co. in Meadowside are seen here underconstructionin 1901. Built from Dumfries sandstone and known

as Courier Buildings, the offices were opened in 1911 and were added to by a tower block in 1960. Sculptures of Lirerature and Iustice feature above the impressive side entrance.

26 Photographed from an unusual angle is the architectural glory of Sir George Gilbert Scott's Albert Institute. The site in Meadowside had previously been occupied by a miscellaneous assortment of sheds and booths, which the civic fathers agreed were 'quite unsuited for its central position in a thriving city'. But the institute's construction in honour

of Prince Albert, who died in 1861, was difficult because it was to be erected upon reclaimed ground that filled the bed of the diverted Scouring burn, which ran through the meadows. The problems of foundations were eventu-

ally overcome by resting the structure upon massive aak piles.

27 Now we travel along the coast to the suburb of Broughty Ferry. which was controversially 'dragged screaming and kicking' into Dundee in 1 913, after a lengthy and acrimonious debate.

Seventy-five years earlier the Dundee-Arbroath Railway had brought overnight prosperity to the sleepy suburb - allowing the Dundee managerial classes to escape Erom a city, which they perceived to be riddled with health risks.

Here we see a water cart passing under the low railway bridge at the eastern end of Brook Street.

28 Broughty Ferry owed its existence to its position to defend the Tay estuary, and a castle was built on the rocky prornontory commanding control of the mile-wide channel. The fishermen's cottages, which evolved around the castle, developed into a community largely independent from Dundee, three miles distant.

This splendid study shows the smaller boats and the fisherrnen's cottages along the shoreline in the 1890s. The lifeboat shed, the subject of a controversial extension in 2001, is seen in the background.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2022 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek