Dunfermline and Rosyth in old picture postcards volume 2

Dunfermline and Rosyth in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   Eric Simpson and George Robertson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Fife
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6316-3
Pagina's
:   128
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dunfermline and Rosyth in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

89 It was the eoming of the motor car that transformed the village of Crossford, allowing commuters easy ac-

ce ss to Dunfermline and other large eentres. Wilsoa's garage shown here, the second in the village. was built in 1932. While the site, by the trafik lights, is still in use, the original garage building was demolished in 1984 and the site was later redeveloped. The car is thought to be of Ameriean manufaeture and the owner, we are told, is the man on the left - Geordie McDonaId. The garage proprietor, Willie Wilson, stands in the middle. The petrol and oil products are all Esso.

90 Looking eastward along Main Street towards Dunfermline, we see in the lefthand picture a Crossford which, although the road has been upgraded, has changed very Iirtle. With only one bus in sight, the village is still relatively free of traffle. In the previous century, sorne of the small dwellings, one with window shutters, would have accommodated weavers' looms. In the right-hand

postcard, we are looking southward towards the back of Main Street with, beyond, Waggon Raad. This picture predates the garage in No. 89 and emphasises the rural nature of the village.

Maln Street, Cronsford

Cro~:orord, Wo:ot End

91 At the beginning of the 20th century, Carnock was another tiny and quiet rural centre with crow-stepped gables and pantile roofs. Apart from the building on the extreme right, the immediate scene has changed but little. The buildings on the left, incorporating the Old Inn, have been modernised, as have the cottages on Carneil Road in the centre of the picture. Beyond the Old Inn, the exterior of the present Post Office shows comparatively little change, even to the guttering running across the gable window.

. Main Street, ~ar.foc~.

92 Proceeding further west out on the Alloa Raad, we arrive at Comrie. It looks as if the entire population of the hamlet has turned out to meet the photographer. The wamen are dressed for work: they are all wearing long pinnies. Sinee the time of this eard (postmark date 1907), Comrie has been greatly expanded. The tall post on the right side is a puzzle. Can anyone tell us what its furietion was?

93 As we see from this early 1900s photograph of what, we understand, is Oakley sawmill, this industry employed quite a few men. Oakley had developed because of the rapid expansion of the Forth or Oakley lronworks (1845-1869). Obviously, by the time this photo was taken the iron works had closed. The sawmill, then owned by

J. &T.Young, occupied part of the site of the ironworks to the west of Station Road. As weil as cut timber for surf ace construction, the local pits used a lot of timber for underground galleries. The men's breeks, it may be

noted, are supported by galluses.

94 Proceeding eastward to the Firth of Forth, we view West Fife from the south. In this post-FirstWorld War postcard, the large warship (anAmerican ship?) is heading up the firth towards Rosyth. Between Inverkeithing and North Queensferry, the Port Laing or Government Pier was still intact and remained in use for some time thereafter. Although. St David's appears, there is no town of Dalgety Bay. We see, however, the hangars ofDonibristle airfield.

95 Donibristle, or Donibee, was a major employer in the area. Starting off as a First World War airfield on the Earl of Moray's Donibristle Estate, its workshops were developed during the Second World War for the repair of naval aircraft. FIOm 1939 to 1945, Donibee housed a share base for naval aircraft and a largely civilianstaffed Royal N aval Aircraft repair yard. Donibristle's role as an operational air station, H.M.S. 'Merlin', came to an end in 1953. The repair yard, one section of which is illustrared here, continued till 1959. In place of the yard and airfield site, we now have industrial estates and the streets and dwellings of the new tOWl1 of Dalgety Bay:

96 Donibristle air base started as an offshoot of Rosyth riaval base and dockyard. It was deep water and a sheltered location thar attraete

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek