Dunfermline and Rosyth in old picture postcards volume 2

Dunfermline and Rosyth in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   Eric Simpson and George Robertson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Fife
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6316-3
Pagina's
:   128
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dunfermline and Rosyth in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

19 In 1911 Iohn Scott, on the left of the trio on the right-hand picture, starred his family butcher's business at No. 25-27 High Street. Notice the butcher's steels (knife sharpeners) hanging from their belts. Placards proclaim his wares which included salt tongues, ham and bacon, and corned beef ]immy Chalmers was one of rus delivery men, driving out to the suburbs and surrounding villages. This delivery cart (picture below)

was No. 1. The heavy clothing on the seat provided the only proteetion against inclement weather, The whistle hanging frorn Iimmy's money-bag strap was used to armounce his presence. It is a smart turnout - man, horse and vehicle alike - proclaiming that [ohn Scott seIls a quality product.

20 This advertisement card was posted in 1906. The shop was at the west end of the High Street next to BIelloch's Close. The advertisement captions were added to the original photograph. The writer of the captions obviously could not spell very well. The name Jack is curiously spelt. As well as tobacco and pipes, the owner sold a variety of newspapers and magazines, including "The Christian Herald' , "The Boys Realm', 'Photo Bits' and 'Pathfinder'. Later views show the shop renamed 'The Wee Sweetie Shop'.

2 1 This procession took place in February 1899 to mark the return of the Earl of Elgin frorn India, where he had served for five years as Viceroy and Governor-General. A keen Liberal politician, the ninth earl served as colonial secretary frorn 1905 to 1908. Notice the bunting, the huge crowd and the soldiers lining the causied road. Up above, virtually every window is occupied.

22 Taken from the same 10cation a decade or sa later, this postcard view shows that various shop fronts, including Liptori's. have been modernised. The tramway, of course, is now in operation.The extension to Rumblingwell was opened in December 1913 with a High Street speed limit of 8 m.p.h. Observe how obtrusive the advertising boards are, especially those above Tyler's boot and shoe emporium. Apart from the tramcar and a hand-cart, every vehicle is horse-drawn. These include a lorry on the right and, by the tram, a gig with two passengers.

23 Bridge Street, circa 1900, was a prestigious shopping street. Observe the sun canopies, same ofthem supported on upright poles. The shops include a cabinetmaker's, a watchmakcr's, and one selling Singer's sewing machines. Eddie's (bottom picture - a mid-1920s photograph) was the retail outlet for the Dunfermline Cabinet and UpholsteryWorks, which were then located in Golfdrum Street. The girl in the photograph, Mary Baxter, is still with us, in her nineties and living in Dunfermline. This shop stood next to the City Hotel. On the other side, we see a fine array of flat bunnets on sale at W & J. McLareri's, outfitters and drapers.

24 Still on Bridge Street, we observe how this thoroughfare was altered when the Louise Carnegie Gates were eenstrucred in the late 1920s. The buildings nearest the camera on bath sides (including the Fairfield Drapery Stores) were demolished at that time. Note that in the right-hand 19 sas picture, David Huttori's drapery now occupies the corner site. On the other side, we see Bruce

and Glen's grocery which is still remembered for the evocative smell of ground coffee. Neither of these firms remain in business. Next to Hutton's we observe Coull and Matthew's ironmongery.

Bridge Streel. Dunfermltne

25 The North Kirk was opened in 1840, having cast ft ,673. It was erected as part of the church extension movement of the day, which resulted from the increase in population of the town and its suburbs. Compared to the time of this postcard (circa 1930), there have been a number of small changes in the building. The weather vane, decorative fini als on the steeple, the rwo visible lums, the iron fence, gate, and low wall have all gone. Also, the lamp above the doorway has been replaced, the street causeys have been lifted and the buildings on the extreme left have been demolished.

0..:,

?.. ?

26 Another parade, but this time of a less militaristic nature. The occasion is the gala of 1923 when Dunfermline High School teachers and pupils, preceded by a pipe band, walked down Pittencrieff Street from Chalmers Street. In those days the procession entered the Glen via the Pittencrieff Street gates the main entrance at that time. Again we see many spectators hinging frae the windaes. The Chalmers Street building fadng the viewer was later removed to make way for the Glen Bridge completed in 1932. That building incorporated Mastertori's furuiture shop.

27 Now going dO'I'11 the Kirkgate, we pass the Star Tavern and observe a hotel on the corner where, as the next postcard shows, Fraser and Carmichaellater had their warehouse. The left -hand picture is a very old one and predates 1896, when the cupolatopped BIelloch's Building was erected. Opposite the junction with the Maygate,

we see on the ground-floor of the Town House the City Police Office sign. This remained a police establishment until the mid-1970s. The later postcard was sent to California in 1948. The sender enthused over her visit to this 'very old city' .

28 The interior of Fraser and Carmichael's licensed grocery in the Maygate shows the typtcal shop layout of the 1930s, with goods mostly piled up on shelves behind the counters. There was na self-service in those days, the counter-staff doing all the fetching and measuring. Note the old-style scales on the right, also the ham cutter and caffee grinder. A notice boasts that their blend of pure coffee was electrically ground. Willie, the short-trousered message laddie, is pasing with his message bike, a rather unusual object to find within a store. The shop and wholesale warehouse closed in [anuary 1971.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek