Dunfermline and Rosyth in old picture postcards volume 2

Dunfermline and Rosyth in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   Eric Simpson and George Robertson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Fife
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6316-3
Pagina's
:   128
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dunfermline and Rosyth in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

29 In this aerial1950s picture, we observe, lefi-hand side, Fraser and Carmichael's warehouse which is now demolished. Likewise gone are St. Margaret's Hall, burned down in 1961, and the kirk built as Free St. Andrew's in 1847.This church, which became South St. Andrew's. became surplus ra requirements and was sold in 1954. The building was destroyed by fire in 1977. The farmer bus station, which was on the site of Henry Reid & Son's linen warks, has since been changed into a car park. The Abbot House and its garden have, of course, been transfarmed into a prize-winning heritage centre.

30 For a change we turn to an artist's card published by the Tayport firm, the Cynicus Publishing Company In this watercolour sketch, the artist, ]ames Douglas RSW (1858191 1), shows us the picturesque rear view of the now gone tenements of St. Catherine's Wynd. Martin Anderson, 'Cynicus' himself (1854-1932), was a kenspeckle character whose barbed, satirical cartoons and postcards have always been highly appreciated by postcard collectors.

31 Again we turn to an artist for an earl)' impression of the Scottish baronial-style High School in Priory Lane, which was opened in 1 886 by the Earl of Elgin. The building is now converted into flats. The postcard below, a Macpherson publication, shows us another educational establishment, the Red Tech, which was completed in 1910 as an extension to the original nearby LauderTechnical College. Again this building has been converted for other use - for housing.

~- --

=

~._~

=-- -...=-

_._*

~-~-~~~--

32 In the Lower Station we see a train packed with sailors, and others making their way to the platform. The sailors, in this First World War postcard, have obviously attracted a number of young ladies, one of whom is holding achild. Observe the small tearoom, an edifice which has long gone as have the gas lamp and the fences with their tin-plate adverts. Goods advertised include Sunlight Soap, Lemco, Tyler's Boots, Waverley Pens, and Robertson's Yellow Label Special Scotch Whisky.

33 Further down the New Row, we arrive at Comely Park. The scene today is rather different, since this thoroughfare is now used for parking cars. The right -hand picture, which dates from the 1950s, shows us the island building at the foot of the N ew Row, which was popularly known as 'The Gusset'. The Dunfermline Co-operative shop visible here was a bakery. The vehicle

on the right is a police car. In recent years, the buildings were demolished when the new roundabout was constructed. With the 187 Os railway viaduct now cleaned and floodlit, the southern approach to the Auld GreyToun is now more open and attractive.

eomt!/y park p/act!, j)unft!rm/int!.

34 Moving further south, we reach an exceedingly muddy Bothwell Street. There was, of course, na fliling station then - circa 1900. The part on the right, as the street sign indicates, was then narried St. Leenard's Place, The tenements on the left have been demolished for street widening, work on which is still proceeding. 'The Gusset' building can be seen in the distanee. As for the farmer St. Leenard's factory office and warehouse on the right, this has been converted into flats - Erskine Beveridge Court.

721

ST. L.EONAROS FACTORY ENTRANCE. BOTHWELL STREET. DUNFERM[.INE.

35 Brucefield Avenue has changed very little, except that it is now a deadend and the railings have gone, The delivery lorry belengs to a coal merchant.The card, posted in May 1915, tells an interesting story. The sender had been on a vessel which had been 'stopped on our raad to America by submarines and had to make for Liverpool'. From there he sailed as a fireman (stoker) to Rosyth on the battle-cruiser H.M.S. 'Tiger' (see No, 100 in volume I). The 'Tiger' , which had suffered same damage at the battle of Dogger Bank in ]anuary, had presumably sailed to Liverpaal for repairs, since Rasyth doekyard was not then aperational. The

sender added: 'win be in the Narth Sea very soon as the baat is under orders.'

36 Still on the south side, we are now looking up a much altered Moodie Street. Apart from Carnegie's birthplace, every one of the Moodie Street properties has been demolished. The date, judging by the ladies' outfits, is the mid-1920s. Traffic on the causied streets was light, sa there was na need for traffic lights. In fact, the only vehicle to be seen is a bicyle. Fry's Chocolate, Rowntree's Chocolate. Sunlight Soap and Watson's Matchless Soap were among the products advertised at the corner shop.

37 Now we move to a close-up view ofAndrew Camegte's birthplace cottage, prior to the completion of the Memorial Hall in 1 928. The horse-drawn lorry belongs to R. Douglas, lemonade manufacturer. Are the laddies minding the horse? Notice the reins dangling down to the raad. The advert on the gable draws attention to a now defunct newspaper. 'The Rosyth & Forth Mail' . This is another building which has been converted into housing.

Carnegie's Birthplace, Dunfermline

38 This post-1918 card (below) takes us inside Carnegie's cottage to the upstairs room where he was born. The portrait and the two busts above the fireplace are of Andrew Carnegie hirnself Since then, the room has been redesigned in a more realistic fashion to recreate the appearance ofan 1830s interior .. Andrew Carnegie enriched Dunfermhne by creating the

Carnegie Dunfermhne Trust. His lawyer and first chairrnan ofthe trust was [ohn Ross, shown here in a posed photograph taken by Iames Norval. Norval, of course, was Ross's succesor as chairrnan and also shared the dinstinction of being knighted.

LiddelI, Printer.]

[Norua/, Plloto

JOHN ROSSJ Esq., LL.O., Cbainnan, Car~e;:i.c Dunfcnnlinc Trust.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek