Dunfermline and Rosyth in old picture postcards volume 2

Dunfermline and Rosyth in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   Eric Simpson and George Robertson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Fife
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6316-3
Pagina's
:   128
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dunfermline and Rosyth in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

39 Alexander's bus station, mentioned in caption No. 29, now comes into closer focus. The style of the cars and buses suggests the mid-1930s. It is imeresting to note that, even at that early date, part of the site was being used as a car park. Vera, who posted this card to her sister, rather belatedly admitted that she had forgotten to tell her that she had taken ;Cl out of their father's till on Friday. She further stated that she was having a great time - presumably sp en ding the cash she had appropriated from the till.

40 In the early 1900s, the Palace was, as now, one of Dunfermline's tonrist attractions, The scene shown here is greatly altered since these photagraphs were taken befare the excavations of 19131915, which revealed hitherto concealed details of the structure. The flOOT level in the right-hand card has since been Iowered to reveal the original vaults. With regard to the card below, the picturesque-looking foliage has all

gone, whilst parts of the original structure have been consolidated.

41 Turning now to the Glen, we see the original wooden bandstand and tea house. The bandstand was built in 1904 soon after Andrew Carnegie's gift of the park to the people of the Auld GreyToun. For long, it was the policy of the Carnegie Dunfermline Trust to provide musical performances to irnplement Camegte's desire to bring' sweetness and light into the monotonous lives of the toiling masses' . The tea hause in the background was likewise erected in 1904. After extension in 1907, it was removed and replaced by the present building in 192 7 .

42 We now see the band kiosk, which replaced the first bandstand in 1909. The kiosk, which was replaced by the Music Pavilion in 1935, was demolished and the site is now a car park. In 1905 the Carnegie Dunfermline Trust set up its own band, illustrated here, under the leadership ofbandmaster Alexander Iordan. In the days before radio and television, the Military Band, as it was termed, gave performances which attracted large crowds. This band continued until 1920. As we see from the postcard, a variety of instruments were employed, including woodwind.

43 This gala day photograph was taken in the late 1920s prior to the construction ofthe Music Pavilion. Ladies' cloche hats and fox furs, meri's plus-fours, and boys' caps, blazers and shorts evoke the period. Despite the presence of two parkies and waste-paper bins, there is a considerable amount oflitter lying around. This tea-house was opened in 1927. Notice the buildersJadders and materials left close to the balcouy.

44 Notice the change in men's and ladies' fashions in this earlier gala day photograph by [ames Norval. Sailortype suits were then in vogue for bath boys and girls. Is the laddie waving anAmerican flag to mark the American conneetion through Carnegie? Although [arnes Norval, who was Provost of Dunfermline from 1918 to 1924, and Andrew Shearer, who was Town Clerk, are formally dressed, they are bath sooking away at ice-cream cones

as are all the other adults.

45 [ames Norval is featured again in the centre of the photograph showing the official opening of the Louise Carnegie Gates on the 28th of june 1929.Three local schoolgirls, all named Margaret - as were Carnegie's mother, daughter and granddaughter - cut the rib bons for the ceremonial opening. The second photo shows the aftermath at the band kiosk when

the three Margarets were each presenred with gold wrist watches. In this phorograph, ex-Provost [ames Norval is making the presentation to wee Margarer Campbell aptly described as 'the tiniest morsel of all'. Notice the astute use of advertising by Iames Scott & Co., Electrical Engineers and Radio Manufacturers, Dunfermline and Perth.

46 These are the original greenhouses which were in plaee when Andrew Carnegie purehased the Glen in 1902. In 1911 the Carnegie Dunfermline Trust replaeed these hothouses, 'old friends' as they were deseribed. The old greenhouses, as we ean see from the posteard, were small - toa narrow for easy publie aecess, and more importantly, they were falling down due to 'the destroying hand of time'. The 1911 conservatories in their turn gave way to the buildings, which are now one of the Glen's foremost attractions.

47 Another ofthe Glen's summer attractions is featured in this postcard which was posted to Glasgow in 1953. 'This is the place for a good rest,' the sender wrote. Contrast the adults' formal attire with the bairns' more carefree garb. This pool was constructed in 1934.The design is typical of the pertod. SA popular was this pond that a second pool was later added.

48 This postcard, which is of the sarne period as the previous card, shows Pittencrieff House, whose ground floor was adapted as a museum in 1905. Observe the 'Ambition Statue' of a bronze figure of a youth beside the mansion. Erected in 1908, this statue remained a prominent feature of the park until recent years. Due to theft and vandalism, it was removed for safe keeping and, regrettably, is na langer on display.

~1'" 'ft,. "

~'--

. ~.' .-:

-~

...,..

PITTENCRIEFF PARK. DUNFERMLINE.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek