Dunfermline and Rosyth in old picture postcards volume 2

Dunfermline and Rosyth in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   Eric Simpson and George Robertson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Fife
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6316-3
Pagina's
:   128
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dunfermline and Rosyth in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

59 In this striking photograph we see a local bus conductress, Belle McConnell, in front of a Tillings-Stevens bus (known locally as Tillies ) . This particular vehicle, which was new in 1924, was built for the Dunfermline & District Tramways Company. It was a 40 horse-power 26-seat vehiele. Later the cernpany's buses were managed by the Scottish GeneralOmnibus Company. This photograph was taken in Pilmuir Street, opposite the Baths, which was the terminus for the Dunfermline to Saline route.

60 Pittencrieff Street is the place where the photograph of the Scottish General Bus Cernpany's Leyland Lion bus has been taken. john Duffy, wearing civvies, later became a bus inspeetor with Alexander's, On one occasion, during 192 7 , John Duffy was charged with a driving offence, namely: speeding at a ferocious speed exceeding 1 2 miles per hour. (The speed

limit for buses was raised to 20 m.p.h. in 1930.) The vehicle he was driving at the time appears in the previous picture. The other picture is slightly later - 193 1. The bus is a Morris Viceroy, the bodywork built by Iohn jackson & Sons, coachbuilders, Pittencrieff Street. The location is the Fife Motor Cernpany's premises in Halbeath Raad. This building, as with the Pit-

tencrieffStreet dwellings shown in the other photograph, is now no more.

6 1 FIOm road transport we turn to rail with two photographs ofthe former Upper Station taken in 1985 by coauthor Eric Simpson. By then the office buildings had been boarded up and were out of use. The line from Dunfermline to Stirling was opened in 1 850 connecting with the Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee Railway. Later the N orth British Railway Company took over these lines. Now we

have, on and around this site, the Carnegie Retail Park, the Sheriff Court and Dunfermline Police Station.

62 The railway line in rhis illustration was eompleted in 1877 to provide a direct link, via a ferry at Queensferry, between Dunfermline and Edinburgh. Loeal industries, e.g. the Bothwell Linen Works

(the two-storey building on the left), benefited from improved means ofcornrnunication with raw materials coming in and finished goods going out. On the west side ofElgin Street ean be seen

same of the buildings of the Elgin Bleachfield.

DUNFERMLmE FROM THE SOOTH

63 We now see, in more detail, the Bothwell Linen Works which, founded in 1865, was one of Dunfermline's early power-loom factories, Prominent in this picture is the mill's big lum. The pond in the foreground belonged to the Elgin Bleachfield. It was fed with water drawn from the Lyne Bum, which ean just be seen on the north side of the pond. The burn is now partrally culverted. A copieus, clean water supply was essenrial for the boiling and bleaehing proeesses employed at the Elgin Works.

64 Retuming to the north side of the town to what was then North (later Upper) Station Road, we come to Wilsoa's embroidery works. This once prominent firm, started by [ames and Robert Wilson in 1 9 1 9, closed in 1963. The founders' father. also James Wilson, was a partner in the local textile firm of

Te lephon e No. 451.

Wilson & Wightman. Mr. Wilson senior, a man with an inventive turn of mind, perfected the embroidery machine and a spraying device. The ornate letter-heading is typical of the periad.

Code used: A.B.C.5t~ Edition.

14th Oct ober 4.9 39

65 Meal mills and flour mills were important for the local economy, but in the

19th century with the building of new, large factory-type mills many small water mills became uneconomic. Thus Dunferrnline's famous Heugh Mills which were perched one above another in the Glen lost their trade and were abandoned. The photo shows the topmost mill as it was in the early 1900s. The mill lay below the First World War memorial in Monastery Street.

66 Elder's lorry has been Ioaned for charitable purposes to raise money for lifeboats. Hugh Elders firm has seized the opportunity to advertise their products, the sacks on view being labelled respectively barley, wheat and oats. Observe the sheafs and flags adorning the lorry. The building in the background is, we presume, their granary in Queen Anne Street which preceded their Inglis Street mill. The business was founded in 1834 by David Eider, who was succeeded by Hugh EIder. This particular firm of Hugh Elder & Son Ltd. went into voluntary liquidation in 1968.

lfacintyri!. PltotD.

L1FEBOAT DEMONSTRATION, 1903.

HUr.H ELDF.R, GRA1:'l: A ??... n EEn lrF.RCHAXT. DU:-':FER:lLl:'·E.

.Dul:Jt:r1ulil

67 Brown's Laundry staff are here photographed in the 1 93 Os. The premises were situated in Grieve Street and the buildings are now occupied bya timber merchant's, Magnet Ltd. The employees are mostly very tidy and wellgroomed. Notice toa the van drivers' smart uniforms and caps. The two laddies who are wearing caps are van boys. The youngish man seated in the front row (sixth from the left) is the boss - Willie Brown.

68 We now turn to another staff photograph taken in the linotype room of the Dunfermline Press which was then based in the New Row. The photograph displays machinery and techniques of printing that are now very much of the past. It was taken on a Monday morning when the workshop staffhad just cleared the previous week's newspaper and were now preparing to start on the next issue. The galleys (long trays) to the right contain unused letters. On the left are three of the four linotype machines which were used in the hot metal process. The editor, William Kirk, stands slightly apart on the right. In the front row, third from the left, sits David

Harrison, who finally retired from the Press in 1 98 1 .

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek