Dunfermline and Rosyth in old picture postcards volume 2

Dunfermline and Rosyth in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   Eric Simpson and George Robertson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Fife
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6316-3
Pagina's
:   128
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dunfermline and Rosyth in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

69 In the 19th century mining provided a great deal ofwork for the folk of Dunfermline and surrounding area. One of the major pits was the Wellwood Colliery, which continued in operation until 1950. The pithead had been destroyed by fire so the workings were closed. The photograph is a very rare early one, showing Wellwood colliers posing at the end of a shift for Dunfermline photographer A. Dewar. Since mining was very thirsty work, the miners are carrying their metal flasks, which usually were filled with cold tea. Notice that there are no safety helmets and only primitive lamps fixed to their bunnets.

70 There were so many miners in this part of Fife that the headquarters of the Fife Miners' Association was established in Dunfermline. Stained glass windows adorned the unien's Victoria Street premises. The picture inscribed 'Modern Workings' shows one of these windows now held by Dunfermline's Viewfield Museum. One of the leading figures in the miners' union, Halbeath-bom WillieAdamson (18631936), is shown here in 1924 being presented with the freedom of the 'City and Royal Burgh of Dunfermline' by Provost larnes Norval. Wilham Adamson, a Baptist and teetotaller, had become Labour M.P. for West Fife in

1910 and was made Secretary for Scotland in the first Labour administration in 1924. He later became Secretary of State for Scotland and served in this office until 193 1 .

7 1 This photograph was taken a few years earlier, in 1919, at the time of another freedom ceremony. The recipient, third from the Ie ft in the rear row, is Admiral David Beatty (1871-1936), who had commanded the British Grand Fleet in the later stages of the First World War. The Dunfermline conneetion was obviously due to the major part of the fleet being based at Rosyth. When on shore, Admiral Beatty resided in the village of Aberdour in Aberdour House (see 'Aberdour and Burntisland in old picture postcards' caption 35).The party includes the Town Clerk Andrew Shearer (extreme

left), Provost Norval (next to Beatty), and the Earl of Elgin (extreme right).

72 The year is 192 3 and we go now to the Lower Railway Station for the arrival of a royal party to Dunfermline for the purpose of visiting the Abbey and Carnegie Trust buildings. It was the first royal visit to theAuld GreyToun since Charles Ir in 1 650. The king, George V, is obscured by the Duchess ofYork (now the Queen Mother ) who, as ever, is aware of the presence of a press photographer. Queen Mary stands on her left and on her right is the Duke of York, later George VI.

73 The king, accompanied by the Earl of Elgin, leads the party on a 'walkabout' , while going along Bath Street (now part ofPilmuir Street) from the Carnegie Baths to the Women's Institute. Observe that, on this sunny July day, the royals are wearing white gloves, the purpose being to proteet their hands. Although one soldier is visible, there is no obvious police presence. In all, an estimated 30,000 spectators lined the streets of Dunfermline. In honour of the occasion, a triumphal arch was erected in the Kirkgate.

74 The party later preeeeded to PittencrieffPark to plant trees to commemorate their majesties' visit to the ancient royal burgh. Notice the cameraman in the background. Local schoolgirls, chosen by ballot, presented bouquets to the royalladies. The flowers being presented to the duchess are pink roses from the park gardens. Again the Duchess Elizabeth is wel! aware of the presence of a photograph er.

75 We go now to what is now the Leyspark Private Nursing Home. During the First World War this building was used as a temporary military hospital, where local volunteers, with professional help, looked after sick and wounded military personnel. V.A.D. stands for Voluntary Aid Detachment, Prior to the Great War, this was the Paar House for the Dunfermline area. Hospital wards were an integral feature of poorhouses of this size and type. Later, it was transformed into the Northern Hospital. No doubt some of the military veterans seen standing in the background in the previous photograph passed through this, or similar, V.A.D. hospitals.

Wartime food shortages meant that empty spaces and ornamental gardens, as we see here, were utilised to grow vegetables.

76 Looking down Townhill Raad (this part then named Downieville Crescent) we see a greatly-altered scene. Same of the buildings on the left have gone and the dwellings on the right have given way to the Police Station and Halfords. Prominent in the disrance is Bennachie, the large house with the spire, which was the home ofSirWilliam Robertson of the large linen manufacturing company Hay and Robertson. Nowadays, it is used for Fife Council purposes. In 1909, trams commeneed on this route, running to Townhill from East Port. When the kirks were in on Sundays, all cars went no further than the Park Gates.

77 Halfway up 'Iownhill Road looking north, we see the single track tramline heading forTownhill. Because of the steep hills, only experienced drivers were employed on this route. The benefits conveyed by the introduetion of trams were considerable, speeds of up to 16 m.p.h. being possible on open stretches. It should be noted that the maximum allowable speed for motor buses at this time was 12 m.p.h. (See No. 60.) The tramway service opened up job opportunities for people living in outlying villages and towns, Workers' specials started as early as 4.40 a.m.

78 At the top ofTownhill Road we see a high wall shielding the house where lived the redoubtable Reverend [acob Primmer (18421914). This bible-thumping preacher was the Church of Scotland minister at Townhill, who was notorious for his anti-Catholle opinions and demonstrations. The manse was built by the Church of Scotland in 1903 and it was occupied by 'Iaikie' Primmer from then until his death in

1 9 14. Note that rwo tram cars are heading up 'Iownhill Road.

TOWNHILL ROAP LOOKINc. TOWARÓS DUNFERMLINE.

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek