Dunfermline and Rosyth in old picture postcards volume 2

Dunfermline and Rosyth in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   Eric Simpson and George Robertson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Fife
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6316-3
Pagina's
:   128
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dunfermline and Rosyth in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

79 As theTownhill postcard and the 1910 letter heading indieate, the Loehside Coal & Fireclay Company covered an extensive area. Although Townhill was weH known for its coal pits, the rich beds of loeal fireclay proved to be an exceedingly valuable commodity Fireclay goods included ehimney eans and various types of pipes. Observe, to the right in the letter heading, two kilns with railway waggons close by - conveniently located for the easy transfer of brieks and other materials. The chimneys eame down in 1977, work having ceased some years earlier.

LOCHSIDE WORKS

TOWNHILL ~

Dn~FEMUNlE er : ~r.~~ /

TOWNHILL FROM,KINGSEOATHILL.

SO Two generations of TOVluhiJJ folk are illustrated here. In the lefi-hand photograph (circa 1 92 6), we see bairns in the local primary school together with heidmalster George (Paddy) Henderson, who reigned from 1904 untill929. The dass teacher is Miss Archibald. The children are in their everyday wear. Observe how the pictures are hung - by means of

long cords. In the right-hand mid-thlrties photograph, we have members ofTownhill Quoiting Club with an array of trophies. Playing with quoits was a yery popular pastime, especially in mining communities (see also No. 60 in 'Cowdenbeath in old picture postcards'). The dubhouse, in Muir Raad, was built by the members. Davie Polloek was ane of the star

players. Matches against local riyals, Lassodie. were keenly contested, but their champ had, we are told, 'nae chance' againstTmvnhill's Davie.

81 Townhill Industrial Coop was an independent institution formed because of local dissatisfaction with the Dunfermline Co-operative Society. That body had failed to support the miners when they participated in the Great Strike of 1894. The Townhill Co-op thrived to such an extent that the original singlestorey building was raised to the two-storey level we see here. The date is circa 1 92 O. The Co-op's own Shieldhall products sold here included jellies and marmalade, essence of coffee and chicory, 'Co-operative Sernolina', and 'Unitas Metal Polish' .

82 In the 1920s local authorities were for the first time in their history building municipal houses to replace substandard housing stock like the miners' raws. Forest Place (here looking south) was one such scheme. However, in 1925 Townhill Pit was closed, increasing the already considerable degree of hardship in the area. The 192 6 strike worsened an already parlous situation. Compared with today, the absence of private cars is a striking feature.

FOREST PI-ACE, TOWNHILL. .

83 Preachers and police provided different types of restraint in the community The advertising eard for an evangelieal preaeher predates 1929, when the United Free Chureh was reunited with the Chureh of Scotland. The date of the photo (a Norval picture) showing the policemen and wamen is around 1943, sinee three of the men bear the initials WR. (War Reserve) on their collars. The wamen officers belonged to another war emergeney body - the Womens' Auxiliary Police Corps. The regulars from Dunfermline City Police are George Smith (back-row middle), Sandy Ruxton (front-row right) and Sergeant [ames Mitehell. The po-

liee office was located at the junction of Main Street and Muir Raad. There is na police station in Townhill nowadays.

1-- CHAL_~ .? .IALKS SONG MESSAGE

FOR OLO AHD YOUNG

"")l ?.

GEO. C. M. GRIEVE

KINGSe~;CHURCH.

SABBATH. 28th Nov .. et 12 aeon TOWNHILL U.F. CHURCH.

S;tbb:llh.28th NQv., .t6.30: Wtt:k 1iit;h~

VJome and {j~ing anotner,

84 'Iownhill Main Street shows, on the left, the miners' raw type of building that was onee so eommon in Fife. In this 1920s posteard, observe the carrier's lorry on the right belonging to a firm that served Kirkealdy and Glasgow. The tramear is coming from theTownhill terminus, whieh was situated halfway up Main Street.

MAJN ST., TOWNHILL .

85 In this circa 1930 postcard, the lorry on the Ieft is parked by the tram terminus. We see, on the extreme right, the Post Office and stationery and newsagent's business of Robert Wilson. This Townhill shopkeeper served on Dunfermline Town Council for 42 years, being Provost from 1927 til! 1930. Observe the ornate Provost's lamp-posts outside his shop and abode. Townhill produced two other Dunfermline provosts, nameIy George Izatt (1945-1948) and Jean Mackie (19611964).

86 TheTown Loch (Moneur) served bath the industrial and reereational needs of the eommunity. Moneur, or Moneor, was the old name for the village. Onee water frorn the loch helped to power the flax mills of Dunfermline and gave water to the nearby brickworks. This postcard reveals how locals went there to feed the swans, also to fish and play. Nowadays with the Scottish Waterski Centre based there, the emphasis is more on recreational use.

MONCUR l..OCH, TOWNHILL.

87 The date of th:is photo is late 1 940s and most of the people in the group are miners or ex-miners. The bus driver (top right) is Geordie Robertson, father of co-author George Robertson, and the photo was taken outside the Institute. The Carnegie Institute in Townhill was erected in 1906 and was the first of its kind outwith the central area of Dunfermline. It set the pattern for the future, with a library, reading-rooms, billiard room, games room, baths and a room' specially set aside for Ladies'! At the official opening, Trust chairman Dr. [ohn Ross spoke of the importance ofbeing 'wellread, especially with the recent birth of the labour Party

in Parliarnent' . (In that year 29 Labour Members ofParliament were elected to the House of Cornmons. )

88 Going now to the west side of Dunfermline, we arrive at what is nowadays the busy dormitory village of Crossford. In this circa 1900 card we see a very different scene. Crossford was a sleepy and tranquil smal! village, with flocks of sheep providing the sole traffic hazard. The houses lay mainly alongside the main road. Since this time, new private housing estates have changed the appearance of this onetime weaving village.

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek