Dungarvan in old picture postcards

Dungarvan in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   William Fraher
Gemeente
:   Dungarvan
Provincie
:   Waterford
Land
:   Ierland
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5788-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dungarvan in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Dungarvan.

9. A view of upper Main Street or Parnell Street taken in the 1930s. The shop on the left, with the hardware displayed on the pavement, is Maurice Flynn's (now Casey's florist). The lamp bracket on the right advertises Phelan's Hotel and restaurant.

10. The lower end of Mary Street photographed in the early 1900s. It was originally known as William Street after William Spencer Cavendish, the 6th Duke of Devonshire. The photograph was taken looking north into Grattan Square. Note the scaffolding in front of the National Bank which was undergoing reconstruction.

11. The upper end of Mary Street in the 1930s. There was a limestone quarry on either side of the street. The quarry stone was used to construct the causeway at Abbeyside in the early 19th century. Canon Power in his 'Place Names of Decies' states that the area at the top of the street was known as the Bull Ring, where in the 19th century, bull-baiting took place three or four times a year.

St. Mary's Church, Dungarvan.

12. St. Mary's Catholic Church photographed in the 1930s. The building was designed by George Richard Pain (1793-1838) and completed in 1828. It was built on land donated by the 6th Duke of Devonshire. There were two proposals for a large tower, one for the west side, and a late 19th century plan for the north side, facing down Mary Street. Neither plan was executed, due to lack of funds.

13. Interior view of St. Mary's photographed at the turn of the century. This view, taken from the balcony, shows the high altar with its marbie 'Pieta' carved by Scannel's of Cork. The Gothic detailing on the wall behind the altar was designed by George Ashlin in the 1870s. The old balconies were removed in 1879 and new stained glass windows installed by Wailes & Strang of Newcastle-On-Tyne.

14. The convent of the Presentation Sisters at Mitchel Street photographed around 1900. The sisters established themselves in Dungarvan in 1809, under sister Mary Theresa McGrath. They occupied a house in Barrack Lane and afterwards built a convent in Church Street. The new convent and school shown in this photograph were built in 1858. There is a fine chapel which was re-modelled in 1889 by John Doolin.

15. St. Augustine's Church, St. Augustine Street, which was built in 1823. This was the first substantial public chapel opened by the Augustinians since the expulsion from their Abbey in Abbeyside in 1541. The chapel in St. Augustine Street was rebuilt in 1853, when its thatched roof was removed. The sandstone tower was erected in 1858.

16. The interior of St. Augustine's showing the high altar ereeted in 1881 by the Prior, Father James Williams. The most interesting aspect of the photograph is the elaborate stencil work on the walls and eeiling. This was onee a common feature of churches in the area. But by the 1950s and 60s it was considered unfashionable.

17. Friary House in Main Street taken about 1890. It was built in 1873 to house the Augustinian community. The fine red brick and limestone fa├žade was designed by George Ashlin (1837-1921). In 1904 the Augustinians built a new school on an adjoining site, to the left in the photograph.

Protestoot Church, 1)ungarvan

18. St. Mary's Church of Ireland, Emmett Street. The present church is a reconstruction of an early 18th century building. It was designed in 1828 by James Pain (1779-1877). The extension to the left was added in 1903. To the right of the tower an old gable wall is visible. This ancient wall is all th at remains of the pre-Reformation parish church of St. Mary the Virgin.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek